Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

'Indy' Fedora Alternative

sojo2600

New in Town
Hey guys,

I asked a similar question on indygear.com, but I thought you guys may have some other ideas as well. Yesterday I went to check out the 'Adventurer' hat by Akubra that David Morgan sells in the US because I want to have an Indy-like fedora. Unfortunately the hat looked really huge and silly on me. I have a somewhat smaller head size, so I'm wondering if all Indy-style hats would look too large for me.

I did end up buying a hat from David Morgan though, because it looked good on me, that model was the Akubra Sydney. While I really like the hat, its 'regency fawn' color prevents it from being even a 'close enough' Indy fedora. So, I am looking for some advice from the experts on this board:

Do you know any good, dark brown fedoras with similar dimensions as the Sydney? David Morgan's site lists the brim at 2-1/2" and a 5-1/2" tapered crown. For this Fedora I do not want a snap brim.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Either the Federation from Akubra or a custom from Garrison Hatters would be a possibility.

David Garrison could customize a hat to be just what you want and has the best custom Indy hat pricing around.

sojo2600

New in Town
Thanks, DJH! Funny thing, I had similar responses from indygear.com. Looks like you all have the right idea. I have an inquiry sent out to Garrison Hatters and am currently eyeing the Federation. I wish I could try it locally, but it gets great reviews.

Edward

Bartender
The Fed has a snap brim, but I suspect if you wear it snapped down all around it's look just fine (alternatively, you could steam the correct curve into the rear. It is a fairly high, square crown, but you'll not really get the Indy look without a high crown, IMO. FWIW, when I first got my Fed it seemed huge, my Campdraft (same height, but looks taller due to the thin ribbon) even more so, but I soon got used to it...

sojo2600

New in Town
I'm surprised that the Fed has a snap brim. It looks so flat in photos. Does it have a light snap? In other words, when the front is snapped down does the curl on the back not come up very far?

Banky

One of the Regulars
The Fed is pretty much your best choice in a production hat. That being said, a custom such as garrison will get the look more spot on and be a better quality hat.

Also, as a side note, The fed was designed in conjunction with guys over at indygear to get very very close to the dimensions of the Crystal skull hat. So the fed is kind of an indy hat in it's own way.

Last edited:

sojo2600

New in Town
not guys from indygear, Steve Delk from Adventurebilt.

Hey, bendingoak. Please accept my apologies! I am new to these forums so I did not connect peoples' usernames to their pedigrees. sojo2600 = fedora noob

EDIT: Ah, John's comment was in reply to Banky, not me. I'm still a noob for not realizing that John Penman was responding to my threads!

Last edited:

bendingoak

Vendor
No need to say your sorry. Your doing fine.

It was Steve. why would you need anyother input when you have the man who made the hat helping you?

Last edited:

Banky

One of the Regulars
By all means Mr Penman I'm not at all disagreeing with you. I hold mr. Delk in the highest regard. I just remember a post on cow where michaelson claimed to have something to do with the development. Not insinuating that Steve was not enough.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
Banky, you may be thinking of the first Federation hats that included a few of the guy's at cow including Steve Delk and the Fed IV which was just Steve helping Hatsdirect with that hat.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
The Fed has a snap brim...
It does? I wish someone would have told my Fed IV that, because it's brim has no snap whatsoever. :(

Back to sojo2600's question, I'd recommend the Akubra Federation IV as well--very "Indy-esque", and Akubra's hats are so tough you'll likely be wearing it for decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21