Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy hat post em up

DJH

I'll Lock Up

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I had forgotten about this thread.

A while ago I had posted that I had done a reversed reblock of my Fed III. Since then, I turned the hat and relocated the ribbon so it'd be in the correct spot.

0414121604.jpg

0414121605.jpg

The hat is so soft (worn out) that it the brim took the intended wonkiness no problem.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Very cool, Scotty!

Hey, I think you have both the Fed III & IV, what is the difference between the two? Did they change much when the new model came out? From your photos the crown looks taller on the III, although that might just be the photo angle.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, D, and you are correct. The III is a bigger hat overall, in both crown and brim. My III borders on being too massive for my face, but my IV works perfectly. I wear 'em both, though. :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ah, I thought as much. Thanks for the info - I think you are the only person I've seen here sporting a Fed III.

Nebraska Schulte

Familiar Face
Nebraska, all your Indy hats are great, but I'm always fastenated by the Peters Bros straw ones.

I wonder if anyone blocks regular coloured Panamas into the classic Indy style? That would make a super summer hat.

Sorry for the delay in response: Actually, Peters Bros offers their Indy Straws in several different color options--including: NATURAL STRAW, BLEACH, WHITE, BLACK, INDY BROWN (mine), DARK BROWN, LODEN GREEN AND SILVER GRAY.
http://www.pbhats.com/private/MILAN%20STRAW/Default.htm

These are some amazing hats you all have on here!!! :eusa_clap

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, I was able to find the info at PB Hats website in the end. Actually, finding anything there is quite an achievement!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ah, I thought as much. Thanks for the info - I think you are the only person I've seen here sporting a Fed III.

On that note, my impression is that Akubra doesn't make the III anymore. Is it strictly a "vintage" sale item now? My die-hard Akubra-wearing colleague has been wanting one.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's been four or five years since the IV was introduced, but there might still be some old-stock IIIs lying around. Contact HatsDirect and ask.

I have a Fed III. Its crown/brim are a little too big for me, and I wear it alot less than my other fedoras. But it's my only brown one, so it matches my G&B M-422A and Wested Raiders (and the Good Wear Dubow I expect to receive later this month!) This picture is from when it - and my Wested - was brand new eight or nine years ago; it's got a lot more brim swoop and character now... but it still feels like too much hat!:

indyhat3.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Its all so subjective, isnt it? Your III looks great on you. But I know what you mean about it being a big fedora. Not wanting to wear a cowboy hat, I originally took to wearing mine in hot sunny weather because of its ample brim.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the compliments, guys. But the truth is, I am a lot more comfortable wearing my slightly lower-crowned/smaller fedoras than the Fed III. These include a Stetson Temple (2-5/8 x 2-3/8 brim) and Akubra Stylemaster (2-1/2 brim). Also, they're gray, and thus match the vast majority of my wardrobe, which is blue/black/gray, not earth tones. Well, eventually I'll get myself another brown fedora that I'm more comfortable with...

I do have some even larger hats - a Stetson Napa straw (2-3/4 brim), Akubra Stockman (2-3/4) and Cattleman (3-1/4), and an old Resistol western (3-1/2?) - but they're for hiking and casual outdoor use. A big shade hat doesn't stand out in the woods like it does in civilization (especially here in NYC area, where cowboy hats are very, very uncommon.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112