Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Insomnia Anyone?

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
my boyfriend falls asleep to the History Channel. Works like a charm on him, but it keeps me up..."I have to find out what happened in that one really obscure battle in that one really abscure eastern European country two hundred years before I was born! I can't sleep until I know!"

My cure for insomnia: turn off the tv. If that doesn't work, I read a book. The FL doesn't help much though...I don't seem to get tired while on this site. Maybe I should try checking it at work in that case.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have this all this time. I just ride it out and do my best to not think about anything that will keep me awake. Usually I am back asleep in a few minutes, but there are about five nights a month when I am up for the day at 3:00 (I'm usually asleep by 11). On those nights, if I haven't fallen back asleep after a half hour or more, I get out of bed and go online. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I was plagued by insomnia for years, until I finally came up with several ideas --

1. A flaxseed eye pillow over my eyes.

2. Earphones attatched to a radio tuned to a blank spot on the FM dial -- an excellent source of "white noise," which keeps my mind from focusing on the kind of stuff that's likely to keep me awake.

3. If I'm really having problems, half an eyedropper of valerian extract in a shot glass of water. Puts me out cold.

I also have to watch out for certain things before bed -- no caffeine-containing beverages after about 5pm, no chocolate in the evening (sigh), and no overly-stimulating activities that'll require a winding-down period. I'm not always good about these things, which is where the valerian comes in handy!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Driiink!:cheers1: Seriously though. I ride it out too, but also often need to get up, make a cup of chamomile, then go back to bed and read for an hour or so till I think I can go back down. If it's getting towards 5am then I'll just get up and pretend I had a night's sleep. Every night for year's now I've had 2-3 hours then I wake up, and it's a lottery whether I get back to sleep again properly. The absolute worst thing you can do is stress about it. Always go to bed calm and believing you'll sleep, otherwise it's a dead cert you won't.

colleency

One of the Regulars
I have a tendency to wake up around 3. If I can't get back to sleep in about 45 minutes, it's out to the couch with a dvd of a Thin Man movie, Walter Mitty, or Blast to the Past. I've watched them so many times, that I can doze while they're on.

Bart

Familiar Face
Sleep oh, sleep

Well, there's a spoon full of Strawberry Jam or Marmelade with a glass of milk. Maybe a banana and milk, or an English Muffin with whatever....but never coffee before 1PM.

Those UFO broadcasts don't do it...never will. Like how many times can they do ufo's, ghosts etc etc ad nauseam? and they have tied up the stations C to C. How about a nice 40's radio mystery?

I like the FM broadcasts on "dead air" idea....it worked a few times. Maybe BBC America at 3AM for comedy? Then the birds chirping at 4:30....ugh.

Feraud

Bartender
Insomnia is not such a bad thing. If you cannot sleep do something productive. Read, clean, browse the net, or work on a hobby. T.v. is not productive but better than worrying about why one cannot sleep! ;)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Insomnia is not such a bad thing. If you cannot sleep do something productive. Read, clean, browse the net, or work on a hobby. T.v. is not productive but better than worrying about why one cannot sleep! ;)

I read that as "road clean" which I thought was an interesting idea and would definitely input to our good citizen badges. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner