Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instant nausea inducement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
I've seen this kind of crap since my high school days back in the mid 60's. We used to call them the trendy people. It's ironic how people who try to be so individual wind up looking and acting like every other person out there. Then they complain that we're pigeon holing them.

Geesie

Practically Family
Paisley said:
I thought we left Mountain Man and wolf t-shirts in the 90s.

It's called "hipster irony". This is a sort of irony which is different from what any dictionary would say irony is.
In a nutshell, it's self-awareness of personal incongruity.

To use this example, wolf shirts are supposedly found unironically on the least cool people. Hipsters, though, are the most cool people. Therefore hipsters wear wolf shirts to say "look at how ironic it is that someone as cool as me would wear such an uncool shirt".

Similarly, the hipster penchant for cheap beer is hipster irony because cheap beer is something that the tasteless plebian working class does. The hipster, of course, has the tip-top taste in all things and certainly doesn't work for a living. Therefore it is hipster ironic to drink such a low-class beverage.

The reality though is that whatever the intent may be while wearing ugly sunglasses, a dorky shirt, and your sister's pants while listening to Staff Sgt. Barry Sadler - you're still doing all of those things.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Living as I am...

... in the trough between being too old for this stuff and having a daughter that’s too young for it, this is all news to me. Since I work on a military base with senior officers and civilians, I don’t know a bit about these folks. I had noted a certain Maynard G. Krebs look beginning to predominate amongst certain young people.

For extra credit: what the next stage in the evolution?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
It's called "hipster irony". This is a sort of irony which is different from what any dictionary would say irony is.
In a nutshell, it's self-awareness of personal incongruity.

Formerly known as "slumming"?

Feraud

Bartender
These are all labels applied by those on the outside of the culture looking in.
Let's not assume the young adults in question use these tags or subscribe to the sentiments we attach to them.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Let's not assume the young adults in question use these tags or subscribe to the sentiments we attach to them.

:eusa_clap Best post yet.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Or that...

Feraud said:

...it makes them inaccurate?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mid-fogey said:
...that makes them inaccurate?

No...it makes them people who dress funny throwing stones at other people who dress funny.

Why bother or care what other people look like....?

I firmly believe what goes around comes around and since there are numerous threads here about 'what people comment negatively on our clothes'

Why do we find it necessary to constantly comment negatively on how someone else chooses to express themselves?

One manner of 'expressing ones tastes' is no BETTER then another.

viva la difference!

Feraud

Bartender
Absolutely.
Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a second..
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=10929
Do these dumb comments sound familar? Are they inaccurate?
There are similar stupid comments for men in suits and women who are particular about their clothes, hair, and makeup. Is the guy who knows nothing about fedoras accurate in his description of who you are based on what you wear?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
As I indicated...

Miss Neecerie said:
No...it makes them people who dress funny throwing stones at other people who dress funny.

I firmly believe what goes around comes around and since there are numerous threads here about 'what people comment negatively on our clothes'

Why do we find it necessary to constantly comment negatively on how someone else chooses to express themselves?

viva la difference!

…I don’t know anything about these Hipster folks. Frankly, I don’t have a dog in the hunt. What is be said about them may be true or not regardless of what the Hipsters want to believe about themselves.

Much of the discussion here seems to be regarding Hipster attitude rather than dress – the dress seeming to be some sort of relational outgrowth of how they think. It could all be wrong. I have no idea.

As a side note, I’ve never been much of a fan of commenting on commenting. I find it can shut down some interesting discussions, is sort of pointless among adults, and can be rather suspect in its actual motivations.

Geesie

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:

viva la difference!

Dressing in vintage work wear to honor the style and the blue collar workers who built America mid-century vs dressing in "ironic" faux-blue collar fashion to mock people you think are beneath you.

Yeah, there's a difference here. Not all means of expressing one's tastes are equal.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I must say I have watched a fair few people go through the majority of these "stages" in the space of a few years. I'd even go as far to say I have a friend who has pretty much passed through every single on of the stages (female) bar the tattoos.

Whilst these styles may not be to my taste, I suppose these people are just looking for something that's comfortable to them?

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
That Narragansett isn't sold in your town?

Alas, it is not. Michigan’s only traditional, regional beer (to my knowledge) is Stroh’s, and when I drink that it’s almost exclusively a nod to tradition, as I’m not that fond of it - especially in bottles.

It’s still better than Bud Light, though.

-Dave

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
Dressing in vintage work wear to honor the style and the blue collar workers who built America mid-century vs dressing in "ironic" faux-blue collar fashion to mock people you think are beneath you.

Yeah, there's a difference here. Not all means of expressing one's tastes are equal.

So you are attributing a motive to someone who you have never met or spoken to's dress?

Actually, no matter -how- one expresses ones taste...its a self standing matter.....saying my right to express myself is not equal to someone else's because they have motives you better agree with....is exactly the whole problem.

Superiority.....our motives are better then theirs....our dress is better then theirs...our morals are better then theirs...etc.

Different does not equal better. It's a sad thing that people here cannot ever just live and let live in terms of visual aesthetics.

Precisely the reason why so many people drop out of the vintage lifestyle due to the snobbish behavior and attitude of people. Rather then lure them into it....chase them away.

Feraud

Bartender
Sincerely-Dee said:
I must say I have watched a fair few people go through the majority of these "stages" in the space of a few years. I'd even go as far to say I have a friend who has pretty much passed through every single on of the stages (female) bar the tattoos.

Whilst these styles may not be to my taste, I suppose these people are just looking for something that's comfortable to them?

I would put my money on it.

Geesie

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
So you are attributing a motive to someone who you have never met or spoken to's dress?

Actually, no matter -how- one expresses ones taste...its a self standing matter.....saying my right to express myself is not equal to someone else's because they have motives you better agree with....is exactly the whole problem.

Superiority.....our motives are better then theirs....our dress is better then theirs...our morals are better then theirs...etc.

Different does not equal better. It's a sad thing that people here cannot ever just live and let live in terms of visual aesthetics.

Precisely the reason why so many people drop out of the vintage lifestyle due to the snobbish behavior and attitude of people. Rather then lure them into it....chase them away.

It's amazing how wrong you are in everything you just posted.

I'm 29 years old. I was in college 1999-2003 and I went back two years ago for another degree. Your assumption that I have never met or talked to these people is utterly, completely wrong.

Yes. My motives are better than theirs. My motives are to do things because I enjoy them and not because people I look down on enjoy them and I mock that.

My morals are superior to:
But at some point hipsters and irony changed. Irony no longer pointed to the irreconcilability of human life with mass society,; it reconciled hipsters with mass society. Suddenly, it became “hilarious” to embrace barbarian garbage, provided you made a big to do about the fact that you were being ironic.
what is at the heart of hipster irony; complete deindivduation, the destruction of genuine experience, the disavowal of art, meaning, community, sincerity, expression and the abdication of critical thought.

RP McMurphy said:
It gets worse...

I go to a small liberal arts college in NY State. Hipsters are essentially the run of the mill students. I roomed next to a hipster girl from LA... God, I can hear the ironically-obscure-postmodern musical screeching in my SLEEP...

Sadly, I see folks who dress like that every day. It's why I'm considering a 3-piece suit to wear about next year. That, and I may start shaving with a straight-razor.

Really, I'm not anti-social or anything! :p :rolleyes:

RP

I agree with this sentiment. It seems that suits really freak people out. Who would have thought that wearing a suit would be considered counter culture. How the times change.

I'm not a fan of hipsters, they try too hard to be cool in an arrogant sort of way. I also don't like people who dress differently solely to be nonconformist in a very conformist sort of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy