Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instant nausea inducement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miss Neecerie said:
So you are attributing a motive to someone who you have never met or spoken to's dress?

Actually, no matter -how- one expresses ones taste...its a self standing matter.....saying my right to express myself is not equal to someone else's because they have motives you better agree with....is exactly the whole problem.

Superiority.....our motives are better then theirs....our dress is better then theirs...our morals are better then theirs...etc.

Different does not equal better. It's a sad thing that people here cannot ever just live and let live in terms of visual aesthetics.

Precisely the reason why so many people drop out of the vintage lifestyle due to the snobbish behavior and attitude of people. Rather then lure them into it....chase them away.

Expressing your taste is one thing and going along with the crowd is another. If one spends hundreds of dollars to feel that one belongs to a "group" then I think one has more problems than just one's clothing budget.

Of course our dress is better than theirs. How is it not? Most vintage wear is impeccably made and well tailored suits cost much more. Vintage wear also lasts longer. These aren't subjective observations but objective facts. The suit is objectively superior than jeans and a t-shirt. That doesn't necessarily mean that the person wearing the suit is superior; however, his clothing is superior to the person wearing jeans and t-shirt.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Son_of_Atropos said:
Expressing your taste is one thing and going along with the crowd is another. If one spends hundreds of dollars to feel that one belongs to a "group" then I think one has more problems than just one's clothing budget.

And 14 thousand members here...mostly posting about 'Is this hat ok to be wearing, is this dress appropriate or on target for 'our look'......

lol

just because our 'group' is online....

Son_of_Atropos said:
Of course our dress is better than theirs. How is it not? Most vintage wear is impeccably made and costs much more. It also lasts longer. These aren't subjective observations but objective facts. The suit is objectively superior than jeans and a t-shirt. That doesn't necessarily mean that the person wearing the suit is superior however his clothing is superior to the person wearing jeans and t-shirt.

So the objective fact is in the quality of clothing construction......?

If this is the case, then someone wearing a vintage made jacket, as an accent to their otherwise modern outfit is just superior as anyone wearing a head to toe outfit, because they recognize the quality of the piece they are wearing? I think most here would disagree with that idea....

David Conwill said:
Alas, it is not. Michigan’s only traditional, regional beer (to my knowledge) is Stroh’s, and when I drink that it’s almost exclusively a nod to tradition, as I’m not that fond of it - especially in bottles.

It’s still better than Bud Light, though.

-Dave

Michigan's only traditional, regional beer was Stroh's. I don't think it is a Michigan product anymore.

Have you tried any of Bell's products? Oberon? Two Hearted Ale? Bells brews beers in Comstock, MI. Check it out.

Founders also makes good beers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Son_of_Atropos said:
I'm not a fan of hipsters, they try to hard to be cool in an arrogant sort of way. I also don't like people who dress differently solely to be nonconformist in a very conformist sort of way.

If you're *trying* to be cool, you aren't. I don't care if you're wearing a dopey T-shirt and an ironic beard, or an impeccable head-to-toe vintage ensemble, if you're doing it just to be "cool," you're an insufferable prat.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Vintagers look down on Hipsters. Hipsters look down on Vintagers. Emos and Goths look down on one another. Punks look down on both. Everybody looks down on everybody, really. That's the good part about being in a well defined subculture - you get to look down on all the others. One day, I'm going to have to neatly align myself to a group. I'm like a hybrid Vintager and Hipster, and I'm not sure which direction to throw stones.

Miss Neecerie said:
And 14 thousand members here...mostly posting about 'Is this hat ok to be wearing, is this dress appropriate or on target for 'our look'......

lol

just because our 'group' is online....

So the objective fact is in the quality of clothing construction......?

If this is the case, then someone wearing a vintage made jacket, as an accent to their otherwise modern outfit is just superior as anyone wearing a head to toe outfit, because they recognize the quality of the piece they are wearing? I think most here would disagree with that idea....

To the first point, not as many people are as knowledgeable about what complements a suit so they are merely soliciting advice. Ignorance is not always bliss. I'm not really sure what you mean by "our look."

I don't understand your last point so I will just clarify my argument. Objectively it takes greater skill to make a suit than a t-shirt. Since one product requires more skill then that product has greater value (economically on one hand and aesthetically pleasing on the other hand.) To say a suit jacket and a t-shirt are equal seems silly to me. The fact that one is more expensive proves one is superior. I think the historical background of the suit, lends itself to greater credence and superiority than modern clothing, as an example t-shirt and jeans. Subjectively people think KeSha is better than Beethoven, however, Beethoven is objectively better than KeSha. It is something not even up for argument. Just like my drawing of a stick man riding a dragon is objectively inferior to the Mona Lisa, however, subjectively I think my drawing is better.

However, I think that I am getting off topic. There is a difference between dressing how you want and dressing in order to be accepted into a group. When it comes to hipster, goth, emo, retrovist, hippie or whatever, the real question is does the person like dressing like this or does he merely go along with the group. Being a member of the lounge for few years, there are only a handful of loungers in major metropolitan cities. I doubt the loungers have strength in numbers on city blocks.

LizzieMaine's post #44 sums everything up nicely.

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
No matter what people try to do there are always going to be these "sub-cultures"

As an example - if you were going to an era-themed party, you would dress according to that era. Not merely because it's the dress code but you would know that people would look down on you for dressing otherwise.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Okay....I dont get it.

What am I supposed to be looking at? The mag in general? A specific article? Was it the bow tie thing? The magazine looks to have quite a bit of relevant music content for its focus (and I read a couple of reviews of artists I listen to) so it cant be that, right?

So what are we making fun of?

LD

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
Parents who think a military experience will make their child grow up should send him or her to a military school on their own nickel. IME, though, even real military service doesn't necessarily make people mature. It certainly won't make them less cocky.

Mountain Man and the wolf t-shirt remind me of my ex-boyfriend, who served in the first Iraq war.

Yet it does force "boys" to grow up to a certain degree (I've seen it many times first hand.) As LizzieMaine put it, joining the armed forces or an organization like the old C.C.C. helps to cure a case of "arrested adolescence" (making someone less cocky is much more difficult...). Regarding your ex-boyfriend, well, you can take the boy out of the mountains, but you can't always take the mountain out of the boy...[huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Regarding your ex-boyfriend, well, you can take the boy out of the mountains, but you can't always take the mountain out of the boy...[huh]

He was from Oakland, California.

Whatever benefit someone derives from military service, the purpose of the military isn't personal growth.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
Okay....I dont get it.

What am I supposed to be looking at? The mag in general? A specific article? Was it the bow tie thing? The magazine looks to have quite a bit of relevant music content for its focus (and I read a couple of reviews of artists I listen to) so it cant be that, right?

So what are we making fun of?

LD
LD, i believe it is the article that shows the evolution of a hipster... because all hipsters are bad... or something? [huh]

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
and that makes it ok?

Wow....just wow....

That's not what I meant. The blue-collar men I know (that is, most of the men I'm related to) simply don't care about the motivation of hipster clothing choices. If I told my father about this, I imagine he'd say "Big deal."

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My own beef with hipsterism has nothing to do with clothing, really -- I don't find it particularly attractive, but then, I doubt the object is to appeal to my aesthetic sensibility anyway. My objections to hipsterism is the incessant promotion of a supposed "coolness" that's just as much of a ridiculous commercial construct as anything from of the mainstream culture they're supposedly too cool for. Most "countercultures" end up falling into the same trap, but at least they aren't as smug and self-righteous while doing it. Grow up, ya punks.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
He was from Oakland, California.

Whatever benefit someone derives from military service, the purpose of the military isn't personal growth.

There are a lot of "wolves" in Oakland:rolleyes:...I was just playing a bit with a popular saying to state that some people will not change much under any circumstances. Whether or not it is a calculated purpose (and I would contend that it is), personal growth is a result of many young men joining the armed forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24