Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instant nausea inducement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
A who's who list of the terminally hip? [huh]
What gets me, and always has, is why, oh why do people blindly follow trends??? And when will we ever be rid of this Grunge/Gangsta/Slob/Death and Decay "mindset", (for lack of a better term) that is so pervasive?:(

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
EEEEEEWWWWW!!!! *yucky* Is this a line-up at the fashion police station? Looks like they blindfolded 10 people and sent 'em off to get dressed, and had a photo shoot...

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Hipsters

It gets worse...

I go to a small liberal arts college in NY State. Hipsters are essentially the run of the mill students. I roomed next to a hipster girl from LA... God, I can hear the ironically-obscure-postmodern musical screeching in my SLEEP...

Sadly, I see folks who dress like that every day. It's why I'm considering a 3-piece suit to wear about next year. That, and I may start shaving with a straight-razor.

Really, I'm not anti-social or anything! :p :rolleyes:

RP

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's terribly ironic that the "hip" from pretty much any era seem to want to be so different and non-commercial, anti-establishment, and all that.
However, the military/entertainment complex commercializes and packages the "hipness", and then proceeds to sell it to the eager consumers of same. :rolleyes:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
I know hipsters... many of them reside in downtown Hollywood. Those people in the picture look too plain jane normal to be hipsters.

Yeah, that may be so about Hollywood, Matt, but you know that the average "hipsters" from Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Melrose districts resemble these "poster children" quite well...(By the way, I hope that your Caddy gets back into shape soon; missed you at John's this afternoon.)

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great stuff! Reminds me of that line in the "King of Hill" episode the "Accidental Terrorist" when he's looking for the wannbe anarchist at the copy store:

Hank: "Excuse me, do you remember a tall, sickly looking kid with one of those mustache beards who was in here last night?"

Lady at store: "You mean him?"

"No, that's not him."

"Him?"

"Or him?"

"Sir, we got a liberal arts college and a halfway house down the road. You've got to be more specific."

Pompidou

One Too Many
It's nice to put an image to the term people have called me from time to time. I don't mind if people see me and think "hipster". I would only mind if people were told, "Matt's a hipster," and recalled any of those mental images, because pretty much all of the guys in that photo look retarded. My logic in deciding what to wear is pretty much, "Haven't seen anyone wearing a scrolling red LED belt buckle that says, 'Never fear! Matty's here!'... now where's my 8bit tie?" throw on a button down shirt, some dress shoes and slacks and top it off with a hat. If people aren't saying, "Ha! Wow, where do you get those clothes?" I feel disappointed. I love referring coffee shop barristas to the geek store I shop at. Do the same for hats these days, too.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is no better cure for arrested adolescence than a dose of forced adulthood. Doesn't have to be the armed forces -- bring back the CCC and send them out to work in the woods or something. Anything to sweat the smirking irony out of their systems.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Parents who think a military experience will make their child grow up should send him or her to a military school on their own nickel. IME, though, even real military service doesn't necessarily make people mature. It certainly won't make them less cocky.

Mountain Man and the wolf t-shirt remind me of my ex-boyfriend, who served in the first Iraq war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21