Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instead of a white shirt?

thomasbonilsson

New in Town
I always tend to wear a whit shirt, that combine with whatever suit or 40s pant I am wearing. Sometimes I would like to wear something else but still keaping the style.

Do you have any tips?

Caledonia

Practically Family
Just keep it light not bright, and don't do same colours, ie don't do grey shirt with grey suit. Contrast is effective. :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
STRIPES! I love stripe shirts! Wide stripes, skinny narrow stripes, pinstripes, etc etc. I used to have a lot but I'm down to one blue oxford shirt with white stripes (or is it a white shirt with blue stripes???). Like you, most of my shirts are white now.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, they did wear coloured shirts way back when

And, as Ghos7a55in says, stripes - love those stripes! I have business shirts that I wear with my sportscoats and suits in soft yellow, off-white, white light blue, a dull green (looks great with a brown sportscoat ala' Jeff Bridges in the opening scene of Tucker: the Man and His Dream) and of course black, which looks so gangster with a flashy 40's tie and a light grey sportscoat.

I'm currently saving my pennies to check out a local shirtmaker my tailor (who only makes suits) recommended to me. I have visions dancing in my head of two shirts, one white with navy blue stripes, the other white with brown stripes, both with French cuffs and a nice long collar.

I've become almost as obsessed with those long collars of yore as i have with beltback suits . . . :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I'm lucky that the shirtmakers in Taiwan are so cheap. It's about $27-$30 (depending on exchange rate) to get a shirt made here. They still haven't gotten the long and skinny pointed collar yet. I can get long, but it's usually too wide. They got in a bolt of this nice striped fabric, so I think my next order is going to be for a shirt with a club collar and single barrel french cuffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24