Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=19773
Similar Thread (bartenders can we combine these?)

Anyway,

I've been a guitar player for over 20 years. Mainly Blues music.
What I have been working on recently is taking my old favorite jazz and remaking them into my own style.

I played bass for awhile, or I should say I had a bass and didn't play it well enough to be considered a bass player.
I sold that along with my mandolin, percussion drums, and electrics about a year or two ago.

Word of advice...think twice before selling.
: (

$ally

One Too Many
We could start the Fedora Lounge Orchestra.
Now that my left hand and right wrist have healed, I play violin/fiddle again. Have also dabbled in recorder, tin whistle, various handheld percussion, backing vocals (also chorus and choir), keyboard, electric bass.
I'm from a musical family. Everyone made some noise. My grandfather was a professional musician. He could play any instrument he picked up like an old pro (I wish I'd inherited that gift). His main instruments were drums and piano. My son played baritone in 4th grade, still plays bass and drums. In fact Caledonia, he may take up bodhran.
I'd like to record a session with my family. I have a couple projects brewing. I'm finally in a situation where I could tour...

P.S. to the bagpipe players: My Mom always thought I should marry a piper. She said only a good dedicated man would take the time to learn.

KL15

One of the Regulars
Barbigirl said:
So bringing up the Hill Street Blues theme that I play in band in 7th grade reminded me of instruments.

What instrument do (or did, in my case) you play?
Or what did you wish you played and why don't you learn?

I played the violin and the bassoon.
bassoon1.jpg

I like the bassoon better but as an imbecile teenager felt myself too cool to continue, a decision I regret still.

Forgive me if this is a repeat thread, I searched but didn't come up with anything.

I began playing drums when I was 7. I got into my first band when I was 10. I later was taught by various band mates how to make my way around a guitar. Mainly because I wanted to write songs. Anway when I got to high school I became a percussionist. Did that well enough to get into a college. Studied drums and percussion in college. One of the classes you had to take as a music major was piano. So I learned my way around that as well. I guess in all I play about 5.

$ally

One Too Many
Attn: musicians

How much trouble is it these days to carry-on instruments & ship equip when you travel by plane?

Blackjack

One Too Many
LOTS!!!!!!!!
make sure you have really good flight cases if you want to see your gear in one piece. I've heard some real horror stories over the years

$ally

One Too Many
Used to be you could carry-on fairly easily. I have two violin cases with rosin chucks and whatnot. They are going to check me through, I just know it. I will NOT do that. I'd rather ship it ahead.
Bandmate has been buying a ticket for his bass when he goes to Vegas.
I haven't done this in ages, so any advice about saving money on gasoline when driving, or tips on air travel are welcome.

CharlesB

Suspended
$ally said:
Wow, you cover a few alternative strings there!
i cut my teeth in everything from punk bands to alt.country and indie rock.

The thing I loved about playing back home was that everyone Ive played with was competent in at least 2 instruments so people could move about when recording or working on stuff very fluidly

panamag8or

Practically Family
Phil said:
:eek:fftopic: But...

Speaking of amplification, apparently our music department spent $1,000 on 5 French Horn (which has yet to be mentioned, or I missed it) sound reflectors. now these aren't anything special. I can't find a picture online, but the refelctors are about a foot tall and a foot and a half wide. It consists of two 1/4" diamater pipes bent at a 45 degree angle and have a sheet of plexiglass attached to them. Now, unless these are some magical refelctors that can carry the horn's sound out to the parking lot, I could have made those for so much less.
I think the moral that gives is, don't play an instrtument and expect to keep money in your pocket.

That has to be the silliest thing I have ever heard of, and that's coming from someone who's drumline dabbled with the drum reflectors for about a week.lol We discovered you can't march with them on, or even set your drum down, which is a must at practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Togs