Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Little Walter 5/1/30--2/15/68

Peacoat

Bartender
I can't let today end without marking the passing of Walter Marion Jacobs, 42 years ago today. Little Walter, as he was professionally known, was the King of the Blues Harmonica, and was on top of his game in the 40s and 50s.

Every harp player, both blues and rock n roll, who has picked up the instrument since the late 40s and early 50s, owes his style of play to Little Walter. Called Little Walter, perhaps to distinguish him from Walter Horton, later known as Big Walter, he is generally acknowledged to be the first to cup harmonica and microphone in the hands to produce the fully amplified "Chicago sound." While it is possible someone else did it first, certainly Little Walter perfected the technique, and is responsible for the full saxophone like sound that characterizes modern day harp playing.

One of my favorite stories about the beginnings of amplified harp playing stems from the early 50s. Walter's Juke, an instrumental, had just become a hit and was being played on juke boxes around the country. The horn players from one of the Big Band groups were in a diner in NYC after a late night gig. They heard Juke on the juke box and couldn't figure out what type of instrument was being featured. After playing the song over and over, they agreed it had to be a horn of some type and probably a reed type horn, but they never even considered the lowly harmonica as capable of producing the range of sound and fullness of tone they were hearing. And these were professional horn players. If they didn't know what they were hearing, it is obvious that no one else did either. The sound just didn't exist prior to Walter.

Of course Walter had been using this fully amplified sound while playing with Muddy Waters on Chicago's South Side and on tour with Muddy, but it didn't yet have the widespread audience exposure that other well established instruments had.

In March, 2008, forty years after his death, Walter was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He gave us so much in his short and troubled life that I think this is a fitting tribute to one of the true geniuses of the Blues Harmonica.

For other comments I wrote about Little Walter in the Blues thread, including a short bio, see this link toward the bottom of the page:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=30400&page=4

Peacoat

Bartender
I was a little young in 1955 to be going out and buying a harmonica; that came years later. Then I bought another one and another one until I had all of the keys. Then I needed a case to carry them in. Then a better case. Then an Anvil road case, and of course the amplifiers and the microphones. I think at one time I bought all of the Astatic JT-30s within 50 miles, and had three complete sets of all of the keys. Marine Bands, Special 20s and Golden Melodies (for acoustic work). Also had a Chromatic or two for D Minor.

Back in 1982 Rod Piazza (Mighty Flyers) found a 1957 Fender Bassman in Riverside, CA and sent it to me. That was the ultimate harp amplifier. A Marine Band in B flat played in F with an Astatic JT-30 running through a 4-10 Bassman--what a sound! Glad it's way in the past, though. Now I just remember the old blues guys who started it all and play their music now and again.

Talbot

One Too Many
I should clarify I suppose. I'm not that old. I heard it first in the mid 70's on a compilation album called Cruisin' 55. I was deeply impressed with 'My Babe'.

I have loved the blues for as long as I can remember, especially jump blues. I have to admit that I got a completely new perpective on the music through reading Walter Mosely's books highlighting the adventures of his black hero Ezekiel Rawlins and his friend Mouse. The first book is set in 1947 (Devil in a blue dress), running through to the late 60's. Forget the movie, it missed so much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mosley

I recall a line in one of the books where someone says "Jazzman travel by Cadillac, bluesman travel by Greyhound"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot