Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

INT: HJ Poet Size 57

VintageFeds

New in Town
Hello,
I am interested in buying a new IJ fedora.
The HJ Poet is now not available in America with the closing of the Movie Shop. The only way of getting one is Ebay (where recently I saw a 2008 SOC Beaver Adventurebilt go for $400) or the forums.
So if anyone wants to sell a Sable HJ Poet then please let me know.

Mulceber

Practically Family
@Moderators - if you feel this post is not appropriate to the classifieds, feel free to remove it.

Hi, I realize that this may be somewhat outside of the purview of this forum, but I just thought I might advise you. If you're looking for a screen-accurate Indiana Jones fedora, Herbert Johnson probably isn't the place to look. Yes, they produced the hats for the first 3 movies, but that was a long time ago and they've gone downhill in almost every respect. Their hat doesn't look right, it won't hold up to rain and you'll be spending a lot of money on it. Pretty much the only thing HJ has left is the name. If I were you, I'd look elsewhere. Given your price range, the two hats that stand out are the Akubra Federation and the Garrison Raider. Penman's great too, but may be a bit expensive for your tastes. I just recently got a hat from Garrison, and I love it.

Of course it's your choice, I just wanted to make sure that, given that you're new here, you're able to make an informed decision. -M

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yep, Mulceber is 100% correct. The current version of the HJ Poet is nothing like the original Indy hats and is pretty expensive too.

His suggestions are excellent, a lot of the members here own and enjoy the Fed IV and the Garrison is a great deal for a custom hat - I'm lucky enough to have one and it is first class in every respect.

Another you might want to look at is the Adventurebilt Henry. This is sold in the US by Penman - I believe John's price is about $300 so it would just fit your budget.

Now if you could find a vintage HJ Poet from about 30 or 40 years ago, that would be cool.

Good luck with your search!

VintageFeds

New in Town
I did a little research on the matter and found this.

THIS picture is of the HJ Poet stock photo on advintagefedora.de:
hebrert-johnson-indy-poet.jpg

THIS picture is of a recent Adventurebilt. Looks a heck of a lot like the first pic.
adventurebilt2.jpg

If this is what the current Poet looks like, it's not too bad eh? I'm not really an SA stickler, and imho this doesn;t look at all that bad. I would probably buy this if the current stock Poet looks like this. You can pick one up at Advintagefedora.de for $250 USD by the way.

Last edited:

jnicktem

One of the Regulars
That Adventurebilt does not look recent... it looks like it has been beaten. I am just curious, why do you want the HJ poet so bad?

Mulceber

Practically Family
Like I said, this is your choice to make, you don't need to justify yourself to either DJH or myself. We're just telling you the general consensus of the Indy Gear community. -M

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have Fed IVs and an AB Henry. Both are very good Indy hats. The Henry is an 80/20 rabbit/beaver blend, better quality than my Fed IV regular models, and has more accurate-to-the Indy-hat color, a better sweat, finishing, and proportion, and is more expensive. But if you're not measuring every angle, the Fed IV is right up there. It's tough, and all day comfortable.

Mulceber

Practically Family
I have Fed IVs and an AB Henry. Both are very good Indy hats. The Henry is an 80/20 rabbit/beaver blend, better quality than my Fed IV regular models, and has more accurate-to-the Indy-hat color, a better sweat, finishing, and proportion, and is more expensive. But if you're not measuring every angle, the Fed IV is right up there. It's tough, and all day comfortable.

My information may be outdated, but I remember some time ago, Marc believed that the block used on the AB Henry was in fact the fabled long-lost original Raiders block. I don't know if he ever got a confirmation or not. Still, an interesting anecdote about the ABH.

If this is what the current Poet looks like, it's not too bad eh?

Two points.

1. I would not assume that a stock photo is representative of the real thing. If you're trying to get a real idea of what a Herbert Johnson Poet looks like, look at photos provided by customers. They don't have an axe to grind in making a hat look good.

2. If you want to go comparing shots, you'll get a better result if you compare the hat you want to buy against screenshots, not other replicas. For example...

039.jpg

119.jpg

171.jpg

Now...

An Adventurebilt Raiders in Rabbit
IMG_1950.jpg

The stock Herbert Johnson Poet photo
hebrert-johnson-indy-poet.jpg

And here's what someone's ACTUAL Poet looks like
IMG_0429-1.jpg

Your call, VintageFeds. -M

Last edited:

VintageFeds

New in Town
OK, the Poet is OUT of the equation.
The Christys looks nice.
I have some questions though:

-Are most people happy with a Christys?
-Does the hat come open crowned?
-How stiff is the felt?
-Is the hat tapered? If so, is it bad?

Also, I read this on a website:

The Christys Adventurer is a great hat that can be ordered in the
specs of the Raiders of the Lost Ark fedora.
NOTE: Be sure to order this in Raiders specs, not purported specs.

Can you still custom-order it like this? Or not?

Last edited:

Mulceber

Practically Family
1. Are most people happy with a Christys?
2. Does the hat come open crowned?
3. How stiff is the felt?
4. Is the hat tapered? If so, is it bad?

1. The sense I've always gotten is that some people love it, some people were deeply dissatisfied, but everyone generally agreed that the hat was appropriately priced (or even under-priced) for what you're getting.
2. I think so, but I'm not sure. I am sure you could order it that way if you wanted though.
3. never owned one, but I believe they're relatively floppy.
4. well, the hat doesn't come tapered, but since it's from the same manufacturer as the HJ, it will probably become tapered after a couple rain storms.

My overall opinion on whether or not to go for the Christy's is that it depends on what you want to do with it. If you just intend to wear it to work and maybe on family outings, it's a good choice, particularly if you can give it some light water-proofing. If you're going to use it like Indiana Jones would - bringing it everywhere you go and traveling the world with it as your companion, you might want to look at something more tough. -M

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
OK, the Poet is OUT of the equation.
The Christys looks nice.
I have some questions though:

-Are most people happy with a Christys?
-Does the hat come open crowned?
-How stiff is the felt?
-Is the hat tapered? If so, is it bad?

Also, I read this on a website:

The Christys Adventurer is a great hat that can be ordered in the
specs of the Raiders of the Lost Ark fedora.
NOTE: Be sure to order this in Raiders specs, not purported specs.

Can you still custom-order it like this? Or not?

The Christy's hat is a dress hat. Don't expect it to put up with rain (they advise this on the modern HJ poet as well) or a ton of humidity. If you want a dress hat, get the Christy's. If you want a hat you don't have to worry about, get an Akubra, AB, or a custom from any of the Indy Hat makers.

I have a Christy's. I've worn it out and about, but never in the rain. I think it makes a fine looking Indy hat.

As far as customization, no, Christy's no longer accepts custom orders. They do offer the Swerford which is slightly lower crowned and slightly smaller brim. The Adventurer is 5 3/4" open crown.

VintageFeds

New in Town
I'm not exactly looking for a hat to use like Indy did at this time. A dress hat is fine. Definitely won't wear it out in rain, just for a dress hat to wear oftten and for the similarities to the Poet. Kinda like the grey hats in Raiders/CS, you know.
Basically I would like it to fill in for my Indy hat until I can upgrade to a higher end hat. Once that is taken care of I might keep it as a piece of Indy memorabilia.

Also on felt color, is that Christy's comparison hat above sable or light sable?I think the photo was taken a few years ago. Can you tell? The pic on topsecrethats.com says sable, but since it is a stock photo the felt may or may not be the same.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot