Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

INT: HJ Poet Size 57

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
For the record, here's a shot of mine in natural lighting, Sable:
DSC05195Small.jpg

Here's a front shot:
shot_1307470041349.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
For similar money, why wouldn't you get an Akubra Fed IV that can stand up to some rough stuff? Invariably, you're hat is going to be exposed to things you weren't planning on. The Fed and Adventurer are both great looking hats. My own opinion is to not go with delicate.

VintageFeds

New in Town
For the record, here's a shot of mine in natural lighting, Sable:
DSC05195Small.jpg

Here's a front shot:
shot_1307470041349.jpg

QUITE the Indy fedora, jlee562! Looks like you got a pretty good hat!

For similar money, why wouldn't you get an Akubra Fed IV that can stand up to some rough stuff? Invariably, you're hat is going to be exposed to things you weren't planning on. The Fed and Adventurer are both great looking hats. My own opinion is to not go with delicate.

Well, that's an excellent point, but as I said here:

I'm not exactly looking for a hat to use like Indy did at this time. A dress hat is fine.
Definitely won't wear it out in rain, just for a dress hat to wear oftten and for the similarities to the Poet.
Basically I would like it to fill in for my Indy hat until I can upgrade to a higher end hat.

Maybe an Akubra is next on my list.

VintageFeds

New in Town
Now I need to figure out which bashing style to give it.

There's the tight pinch of Raiders-Chachapoyan Temple that draws my eye:
CT003-1.jpg

ChristysBashed1.jpg

30042010166.jpg

But the SOC is slightly relaxed near the ribbon, and well that's my fav Raiders hat:
ScreenUsedFedora4a-1.jpg

Untitled5678-1.png

DSC05813.jpg

Or I could go LC/CS:
c89d_12.jpg

LC_front.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

28092009144.jpg

Mulceber

Practically Family
My vote is for the Raiders temple pinch: the LC and CS hats just don't look as good as the Raiders hat, and the SoC hat is a notoriously difficult style to achieve, due to all the wacky effects you have to be able to mimic (eg. the way the heat was causing the felt to warp). -M

Golden

Familiar Face
adventurebilt2.jpg

If this is what the current Poet looks like, it's not too bad eh? I'm not really an SA stickler, and imho this doesn;t look at all that bad. I would probably buy this if the current stock Poet looks like this. You can pick one up at Advintagefedora.de for $250 USD by the way.

I cant find this on the website, is this a custom bash?

Love it, wondering where to buy.

-j

Edward

Bartender
If you're deadset on the Poet, grab yourself a Christy's Adventurer which is essentially the same hat with a different label. http://www.topsecrethats.com/Trilby...d-Fedoras/Christys-Adventurer-Fur-Felt-Fedora

It's amazing how several big-name places seem to buy in from Christys and add a serious mark-up!

My Indy hat is an Akubra Federation Deluxe. Lovely hat - eight years of hard wear in all weathers, and still going strong. The only thing I can really fault it on, tbh, is that Akubra, like every other hatmaker, it seems, insist on using a white liner, which stains so much if you're shaven headed, like me, or you use a lot of product. I wish they'd use black or a deep scarlet. Personally, unless it was for a very specific costume piece, I can't imagine buying a hat for 'real' use that I wouldn't want to wear if it might get wet, but YMMV.

Bash-wise, I gave my Fed Deluxe the 'idol-grab' tight pinch, but all the Indy bashes look good. Indy's hat bash changes markedly from film to film (even within Raiders it changes a bit), so pick your favourite look / scene, and copy!

The Akubra Fed regular and deluxe both come open crown. I don't know about the Christies, though any decent furfelt hat should be easy to reshape whether it comes open crown or ready-shaped.

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
If you're interested I can sell you my LC beaver hat from John Penman, it's a size 22" 1/8. I wear a size 57 on non custom hat.

I would ask $250 + shipping

There is no hat box, John didn't offer them when I ordered

I barely wear it, just a few time, here some photos

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

Those photos are from 09 but the hat is in the same condition now, I can post a recent photo when I get back home.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner