Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

interior design

true vintage

New in Town
I'm not a natural born interior designer ... but it is something I find rather intriguing! And maybe in the near future something I can go to school for.

Anyhow my finance is re-modeling his room-going for a 40's look & has plenty of merchandise to make it look vintage inspired. I would like to be a "helping hand" in creating & designing the perfect atmosphere! Where do I start?
Help!!! ;)

Suggestion: if you start with a mock-up of the space, either building a paper model or "reconstructing" it in something like Punch Pro Home Design, it'll let you see possible changes and compare 'em before you commit.

I used to be an architecture student, and was really big on both those tools. (Still use 'em, too!)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
You start with finding out where all the things in the room should be. ;) In other words, take a look at the room. What activities do you like to do there, other than sleeping.( Or is it only sleeping?) Do you want a reading chair, or a work table, or a make-up table, or something else?

Each of this activities need their own space, ("zones") and, if possible, their own "visual space" as well. (Which means that, if the room is big enough, you might want to give make each zone slightly different from the other, to organize them visually.)

Remember to plan enough room for moving around in the room, without stumping into furniture. Think about where you move from zone to zone, and around the furniture, the "paths" of the room, (I know it sounds obvious, but it's not as easy at it sounds. Good "movement patterns" in a room is alfa and omega!)

When planning, a bird-wiew drawing of the room is really useful. Play around with different placings of furniture and zones. If you are doubtful about how it will look in real life, you can mark the outline of the furniture in actual size on the bedroom floor with tape.

Only after creating this master plan comes the fun bits: Picking out furniture, nick-nacks, drapes, decoration etc. Have fun with that! For vintage inspiration, there are some pictures in this thread and books in the library. But before-mentioned principles are pretty much timeless and universal.

I hope this helps. (I don't know the proper translation of the interior architect terms from Norwegian, so I'm sorry if something is difficult to understand.)

Good luck!

true vintage

New in Town
this is so helpful!

Oh my gosh, I was so happy to see your responses, thank you so much! I hope I get more suggestions! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace