Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Intro and Fed IV Question

christphil

New in Town
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. Came here not long ago to do some research on fedoras and that led me to purchase an Akubra Trilby in black from Hats Direct---which I am very pleased with. Many people here suggest going vintage but I have a large head which negates that possibility.

No surprise---I'm already planning my next purchase. I'm looking at the Akubra Fed IV but the brim is way too large for my preference. If I was to trim the brim down to two inches would the hat look okay? Or do you suppose that a Fed IV trilby would look silly considering how tall the crown is?

If anyone has made similar modifications I'd love to see pics of such.

Alternatively, I am also considering the Hampton and Whippet styles.

Welcome Philip,
I think you'll get a few opinions so throwing mine in won't do any harm.
If I was looking to cutdown to a 2" brim, I'd probably start with a Squatter or Stylemaster. I do think the blocking of the F4 would make that brim to crown ratio really not very attractive. I have a Squatter cutdown to dimensional 2 5/8 x 2 1/2 & can see it making a trilby, same for the 2 1/2" brimmed Stylemaster. HTH

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!! Before you plan another purchase with an eye on modifications look around. You may finds another brand or style that suits you. You may even want one made to your specifications...[huh]

christphil

New in Town
Carlisle Blues said:
Welcome to the Lounge!!!!!!!!!!!! Before you plan another purchase with an eye on modifications look around. You may finds another brand or style that suits you. You may even want one made to your specifications...[huh]

I'm very pleased with my Akubra and the quality service from Hats Direct. Since I'm limited to new production hats because of my head size and budgetary constraints I don't know of any other brand to consider.

I've read Biltmore is decent but I really would like to inspect one in person before purchase. The stock pictures I've seen online seem to show that their hats all have a finish that I can only describe as pimp-like.

christphil

New in Town
Carlisle Blues said:
The one I am wearing in my avatar is an akubra. I also have Borsalino and Stetson.

I understand.

How convenient. I've seen pics of modern Stetson styles I really like such as the Selby but I have heard bad things.

Care to give an honest assessment in regards to quality and how it compares to your Akubra?

Carlisle Blues

Well my Stetsons are cowboy style so I am no help there. My Borsolinos are fedoras I love them. They are modern so you will hear nasty things about the moderns. I use my Como when I perform.

The Akubra is thicker felt I have Deluxe Federation IV I traveled to Australia and back with one. I took a beating and kept it's shape. I do not think my other hats couls have taken that abuse....:)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There seems to be uneven quality controls with Stetson these days....that seems to be the best I can piece together. I have a modern Stetson Temple that I picked up a few months ago. After handling it with sweaty hands, I had brown stains on my fingers which got onto my pants. Not enough came off to make the hat look splotchy (yet, anyways), but it was a disconcerting event, certainly. I've heard other stories of people's Temples tapering "into a cone" and what not, but also folks here who wear theirs out in the rain with no problems.

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Christphil, the Fed is a good hat and you won't be unhappy with it. Since you know best what looks good on your own head, trim away! My Fed never looked right until I used fabric shears to trim about 1/4 inch off the front and back of my brim. The crown is quite tall but you can lower it to match a small brim with a deep diamond or teardrop crease.

theinterchange

One Too Many
In my opinion, cutting down the brim of a Federation that much could get dicey. It could look great, or a bit top heavy. I'd be interested to hear anyone who's done this, or better yet, pictures of said mod.

Regardless, the Akubras are nice hats, as you've seen.

Welcome to the Lounge!

Randy

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I remember seeing pictures of FedIV's brim cut down to almost nothing by someone - I'll try and look for them later today! :)

elvisroe

A-List Customer

Mike in Seattle

christphil said:
I'm looking at the Akubra Fed IV but the brim is way too large for my preference. If I was to trim the brim down to two inches would the hat look okay?

DON'T! Many posts here concern those who've trimmed a brim or done other similar "renovations" to a new hat and later regreted the action.

Try one. Wear it for at least six weeks. Get used to it. I'm sure you'll find you may grow to appreciate the proportions. It's an acquired taste and style. A couple years ago, I posted on the Lounge about the Akubra Squatter brim looking way too big on me. I think I likened it to it looking like Jupiter's rings runnning around my head. And six months later, after wearing my Federation III for awhile, I thought I could do with a larger brim.

PS - Welcome to the Lounge!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Tried that, and have posted pics under the Stylemaster...try and make a search. DOES NOT work, unfortunately. I`m a stingy fan, byt cutting the brim of a wider hat makes it lose its balance, and the brim needs to be reflanged to give it the curl. Try and the Hampton/Whippet instead...see pics of mine under the Akubra thread.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I think the balance brim/crown depends not insignificantly on the crease style. A cut down Fed IV with a center dent (think Indy hat) would probably look top heavy, but if you put a diamond or c-crown, both creases that "consume" crown height, specially if you "telescope" them, then the balance may be good.

I agree getting used plays a part too - the first hats I used were at most 2'' brims, and I felt strange when tried larger brims. But I tried on, they grew on me, and soon I favoured them.

But, if you are really unable to adjust to the larger Fed IV brim, then cut it down, experiment with the crown crease until you are pleased, and wear the hat! It is a factory hat, and not expensive, so it is not like you were modifying a rare vintage model or a pricey new fedora.

My 2c anyway.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Stylemaster 1 7/8" brim

AkubraStylemaster.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes