Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing myself!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Hi, I just discovered this site! I live in Los Angeles and am a makeup artist. I love the general time periods between 20's-50's, but adore the 30's & 40's- 30's Old Hollywood Glamour is where my heart is! I am obsessed with photographer George Hurrell, who in my opinion, captured the ultimate in what the world should be; elegant, mysterious, grand. I love love love Joan Crawford! I love love love the Three Stooges! (I wish Curly was my boyfriend. And Cary Grant & Bob Hope.) I like all the jazz, swing, big band etc music, art deco, b&w movies... basically the things that you all like and appreciate. I am thankful for modern people & bands who keep this alive for the rest of us, like Dita, Michael Bublé and the like. This seems like a fun place... thanks!

katiemakeup

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Howdy Katie!
A woman after my own heart!
Three_Stooges.jpg

I love 'em! Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk!

Novella

Practically Family
Oh, George Hurrell is fantastic! I could admire his photos for hours.

Could you recommend a good Joan Crawford movie? I've seen her in The Women and Grand Hotel, but I'm not a big fan of either of those movies or her roles in them. I did really like her in the silent Across to Singapore though so I wouldn't say that I don't like her - I just need to watch the right movie! :)

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Welcome to the funny farm, Novella.

Hurrell's work is amazing, the man was quite the talent.

Last year I picked up a Wollensak Verito softfocus lens, like he used in his
early days. Now, I just need a largeformat camera to mount it on...;)
Oh, yeah, and someone who looks like Joan Crawford, would also come in handy.
;)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Thanks for the warm welcomes! NOVELLA~ You can never go wrong with 'Mildred Pierce'!

That Joan avatar is one of my faves...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
A nice George Hurrell site, for anybody who hasn't already seen it:

http://www.hurrellphotography.com/

I love his stuff to death, but it's worth recalling that he wasn't the only studio-portrait genius of that era. For example, Clarence Bull did fantastic work too! Check out these Garbo portraits:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~oliver/bullgallery.htm

(Some other great photographers are on that site too, including Hurrell, Edward Steichen, Cecil Beaton, etc. But alas, the scans aren't so great.)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
The Clarence Bull stuff is amazing! I think I am just more drawn to Hurrell's work because of how luminous everyone looked. I have Hurrell's Hollywood Portraits and am anxiously awaiting 50 yrs./Hurrell Style from ebay. Thanks, Dr!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot