Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing the “MARLBROUGH FORTY” Open Road

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Introducing the “MARLBROUGH FORTY” Open Road

mar03dx2.jpg

mar02ro8.jpg

mar01qr0.jpg

sideat9.jpg

petersbrosrh4.jpg

shadyoakspo9.jpg

A “Shady Oak” Open Road clone in a 10X Beaver

With the help of a sales slip, a phone call to PETER’S BROTHERS and a lot of Goooooooooogle, I was able to piece together a history of the Owner.

This Hat was purchase on 11/20/1957 by a young Doctor who had just started his own private practice in Arlington, Texas.
During the next forty years, Dr. Boles would become active in the Arlington School Board and have a Jr. High named after him.
Dr. Boles pasted away in May of 2001

191bolesse3.gif

Dr. Truett C. Boles

Ps: This is the Best Hat I have ever touched, Light but good body, Soft buttery texture yet firm, easily shapeable. I truly believe this Hat found me.
If I could only own 1 Hat, it would be this one !!!!!!

NonEntity

Suspended
I would have never guessed that was an Open Road from the pics of you with it on. I think snapping down the front brim and the pair of frontal crown dents--fedora style, as opposed to LBJ style--looks smart.

It appears to be in superb condition inside and out. It's so clean, too. Did you have it blocked and cleaned or was it that nice already? Where'd you get it? How much?

I take it that, 51 years after they sold it to the good doctor, Peters Brothers is still in business. That alone is amazing. Are they in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area?

Perhaps some of the vintage hat experts here will enlighten us on this brand

Original box, as well

And what an interesting story.

Outstanding hat, Tinmanzzz. Enjoy!

budward

One of the Regulars
That's an amazing find. The Shady Oak is kind of legendary, at least in my (DFW) part of the country. If I remember right, Peters Bros. has pictures on its web site of JFK with a Shady Oak that was given him on a trip to Fort Worth. I've often wondered if there were any old ones somewhere out there on the market. And it looks like there was at least one! Congrats. It looks fabulous and the history can't be found with any other hat.

Bud

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is so very nice!

You only very occasionally see a Shady Oak anymore and I don't know that I have ever seen a forty or the Marlborough designation either. What a find! Did you buy it at auction out of Arlington on OFAS or what?
The backstory is priceless as well, congrats!!!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, that doesn't suck!!!

(In the same way Arthur meant when he said that being on your own yacht doesn't suck!;) )

Great find, and knowing the history? Priceless!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

PS I really like what I can see of that shirt and tie as well!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I don't know...maybe fate. At first I was willing to go very high on that one. But 'something' told me to back off bidding on that hat and I did. Now I know that I would never had appreciated it as much, or investigated it as deep, as you. Everything DOES happen for a reason. Enjoy!

NonEntity

Suspended
Thanks, J. T.

Relocated five years ago, but I lived in DFW for several years. Since my home was in Rockwall County on the far east side, over 50 miles away, I only got to Ft. Worth twice.

Once was with my young kids to wander around the Stockyards. We rode the monorail over to the main FW station, and we may have been within walking distance of Peters Bros then, and then we took a bus from there on to the Stockyards. The other time was to the fabulous Ballpark where I was the guest of a millionaire investor in our dot-com in his luxury box complete with "man servant" who would bring you anything. Now that's the way to watch a ball game!

Anyway, sorry I didn't know about Peters Brothers when I lived in the same general neck of the woods. Sounds like it would have been well worth the drive.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Congrats, Tinmanzzz! That hat looks great on you -- and you look pretty darn happy wearing it. Excellent find! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Razzman

One Too Many
Congratulations! That is one fine looking hat. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
It really looks great on you. I agree with JTL you look very pleased with the hat. Nice find.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
ebay buy

Rick Blaine said:
You only very occasionally see a Shady Oak anymore and I don't know that I have ever seen a forty or the Marlborough designation either. What a find! Did you buy it at auction out of Arlington on OFAS or what?
The backstory is priceless as well, congrats!!!
Got it on ebay,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280182454223&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018
I was lucky that a "Uncle" quit bidding, I had set my max at $165. So with that in mind, It was a steal :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Thanks

Tango Yankee said:
Well, that doesn't suck!!!

(In the same way Arthur meant when he said that being on your own yacht doesn't suck!;) )

Great find, and knowing the history? Priceless!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

PS I really like what I can see of that shirt and tie as well!

You made my Wife smile :D :D
The shirt is Plum colored with a hand painted Robert Daskal tie that my wife got me for Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo