Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

gcsdls

New in Town
Attaboy, George! Waiting HARD is right... Great expression!! Oh, and WELCOME!

Yeah, my youngest son came up with that one. After the second installment of the "Lord of the Rings" movies...he said he was going to have to wait hard. :) Been part of the family lexicon ever since.

...and thank you for the welcome, too!

Last edited:

gcsdls

New in Town
Indeed...it was the unbridled praise for Akubra on this board that led me to their Stylemaster, which is what I have on order, in Mid-Brown.

Waiting hard.... :)

george

Me. too. Just between 3/4 and 7/8. WELCOME! And there are a couple of bigger domes around here, but I'm not naming names.

You know the expression; "Big head, big hat." Works for shoes or gloves, too.

gcsdls

New in Town
Well, I've been thinking about it...and thinking about it...and I decided last night that I didn't need a Stylemaster...I needed a Campdraft instead. Sam was kind enough to change it for me, and I now have a bluegrass green Campdraft on the way. They had the green one in stock...and I hate waiting. :)

Thought you might like to know....

George

javadave61

Practically Family
Well, I've been thinking about it...and thinking about it...and I decided last night that I didn't need a Stylemaster...I needed a Campdraft instead. Sam was kind enough to change it for me, and I now have a bluegrass green Campdraft on the way. They had the green one in stock...and I hate waiting. :)

Thought you might like to know....

George
It's a great hat George. Think of the Stylemaster as a stock print and the Campdraft as a bluegrass green blank canvas. Mine took several months of shaping and reworking to get it exactly as I like it, but once I did, it became a favorite. You can make that hat look so many different ways.

I am a newish member and a hat wearer (not consistent) for many years. But now consider myself a true hat wearer now that I am 65 it all seems to fit for me and not like I was wearing my Dad's hat. The collecting bug bit me about a year ago and I now have 16 fedoras in my collection from stingy brims to an Akubra CD. Today is a non work day so I pulled out the hats and measured the crowns and brims. It has been a fun exercise deciding which style/dimension/colour is right for me. It is amazing how the difference just 1/8" in a brim changes the look. I have older Borsalinos, Stetsons and newer Akubras to go with my original Akubra from about 20 years ago. Now that I have a handle on what works for me the next step is a custom from either Black Sheep or VS. Luckily they are not tooo far away and a visit will be arranged as I want this purchase to be my ultimate hat.
I have put the forum to such great use, reading the threads as I gained knowledge on the world of hats. It is great fun learning to clean, reblock.
I picked up a new beaver 10 gallon hat on Ebay for real cheap and will brave an attempt at reworking into more of a fedora look. I know it is sacrilege but I am willing to risk bothching it as it only cost me $45.
Thanks to all the lounge contributors for their great help.

Welcome Belfastboy. Please pop up a few pics... share the treasure with the rest of us! We'll enable you to enlarge your already impressive collection...

gcsdls

New in Town
It's a great hat George. Think of the Stylemaster as a stock print and the Campdraft as a bluegrass green blank canvas. Mine took several months of shaping and reworking to get it exactly as I like it, but once I did, it became a favorite. You can make that hat look so many different ways.

Yes, I'm looking forward to getting it. The thin ribbon and open crown remind me of my granddaddy's hat. Haven't seen that one in 45 years, but I remember it very well. I think it must have been a Stratoliner or an Open Road. I know it was a Stetson.

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
Good evening all, new to the site but I have been a hat wearer all my life. Mostly "Outback Style" as that is my favorite. Up until recently only wore hats in the 45 to 50 dollar range but recently bought an Akubra Angler and absolutely LOVE IT, so much so, that I am purchasing a Charcoal Akubra Banjo Patterson. I will also wear on occasion a Kangol cap backwards. I am 6 feet 5 inches so a flat cap just doesn't look right.
Anyway, love the site and love all the knowledge I am getting.
Look forward gleaning more knowledge and sharing in future conversations.
Daddy0d0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR