Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Glenville86

Familiar Face
Greetings!

My name is William and I work for the US Government and stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. Retired after 26-years in the US Army prior to the civil service job. Originally from Salem, WV.

I collect upper level functional swords as my primary hobby. My second interests are hats and leather coats. Hat collection is currently several Akubra, 3-Miller hats, 5 Stetson, 2-adVintage, 2-Henry Adventurebilt, 1-David Morgan, and 1-Older Herbert Johnson reblocked by Adventurebilt. The Miller, adVintage, David Morgan, Adventurebilt and a couple Akubra hats are all variations of different Indiana Jones styles. Not really a big fan of the movies but really like that basic style of hat.

Don't really get into the vintage clothing thing except for some of the older hat styles.

Glad to be here and enjoy reading the different threads here. My profile picture is my Grandfather who always wore a hat.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Greetings!

My name is William and I work for the US Government and stationed in Stuttgart, Germany. Retired after 26-years in the US Army prior to the civil service job. Originally from Salem, WV.

I collect upper level functional swords as my primary hobby. My second interests are hats and leather coats. Hat collection is currently several Akubra, 3-Miller hats, 5 Stetson, 2-adVintage, 2-Henry Adventurebilt, 1-David Morgan, and 1-Older Herbert Johnson reblocked by Adventurebilt. The Miller, adVintage, David Morgan, Adventurebilt and a couple Akubra hats are all variations of different Indiana Jones styles. Not really a big fan of the movies but really like that basic style of hat.

Don't really get into the vintage clothing thing except for some of the older hat styles.

Glad to be here and enjoy reading the different threads here. My profile picture is my Grandfather who always wore a hat.

Howdy there! You seem to have a nice collection started already! That area of Germany has a main manufacturing plant we'd LOVE to visit....Porsche!

Trevi007

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone!
I been a member for a few months and enjoy this forum a lot. I am a professor at the Florida Technical College Barbering and Style department. Hats has being a family tradition for centuries so I have use fedoras since I was a little kid. But it wasn't until a year ago when I start buying felt hats, coming from a tropical island I was more familiar to panamas and straw hats. I bought a few new wool felt hats (what a mistake) and always wondered why everyone was so excited about vintage hats.... and guess what? I bought my first one around a month now. To make long story short I own 17 and 3 more on the way fedora hats from Champ, Mallory , Knox ,Dobbs and of course Stetson. WOW!! Know I understand now why vintage (quality). The new ones??? all gone. Anyways, It's a pleasure to be a member of such a great family the "FEDORA LOUNGE".
Thanks!!

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Hello!

Hi all,
I have recently started to 'up my game' in the clothes I wear and as part of my make-over have discovered hats! Well, rediscovered actually as many years ago I wore an Akubra given to me as a gift, it was a snowyriver I think.

I stumbled across this forum and have whiled away many an hour reading some of the old posts. Wow, am I on a steep learning curve and I'm enjoying every bit of it. I'm not really interested in the whole vintage clothing thing, but I've already picked up lots of tips about dressing well.

I've only bought a couple of cheap hats (a Jaxon fedora and a kangol cap), but I fear I am hooked and I am already looking at treating myself to a better lid. I'm considering a silverbelly Akubra Campdraft but I'm not sure if the hat would look a bit big on me. I'd be interested in what you experienced hat wearers think would look good on me.

DSC_01771_zps18259e81.jpg

DSC_01761_zps08cc9a04.jpg

I've had nothing but positive comments from my colleagues, lots of people have said how "dapper" I look!

I'm not sure I'll have anything to contribute to the forum, there are so many knowledgable people on here, but I'll certainly be lurking!

So that's me....Hello there!

deenis

Familiar Face
I developed an obsession with hats when I was a Drill Sergeant. Since then, I always wear some sort of hat. Living up north I wore nice fedoras. I retired into Florida. Now I wear straw hats except on Sundays. Sundays I wear one of my Fedoras. I always make sure to wear a fedora when traveling.

Once I had a fedora on while in a crowd of people. It was raining. I and my glasses were dry. I told the crowd. You should have a hat and smiled.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Hello to my old friends and new fellow 'Loungers'. I joined back in 5/12, at the time a displaced East Coast Jazz Musician living in Istanbul....I recently moved back stateside to the Seattle area. It's great to be back in the states and back at the Lounge....I've been continuing to lurk, but things have been crazy busy and haven't really had time to participate...or the last hat I copped was in 2012 while hanging here...a 1950's vintage Navy Blue Borsalino with a 2" brim....So to celebrate relocating my wife just gave me a new Lock & Co. Sandown Trilby....I've wanted one since I saw Dr.No as a kid in the Early '60's ha,ha....Guess you could call this a slightly exaggerated example of 'Delayed Gratification'....Well first the trilby, now for that Sunbeam Alpine...;^)

See you guys around the Lounge....Ciao for now....

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
For me, it's because I always simply looked better in an old timey fedora than I ever did in a baseball cap. I also grew up on a lot of adventure movies like Indiana Jones and the Jurassic Park trilogy where the heroes were always sporting some cool fedora or day hat.

Last edited:

jmclfrsh

New in Town
Greetings from Central Ohio!

I've recently decided to get some REAL hats after being a basic ball cap kind-of-guy. I have about 50 of those, so I've always liked hats.

I'd owned a Tilley years ago, and bought a new full-ventilated one this past summer to wear while camping, which I took up this year. So I had those two, but I decided a month ago or so to get an "Australian" type hat.

So I did some research, discovered Akubras, pondered over photos and videos, and was able to buy three brand-new Akubras on the large auction site within two weeks. At slightly over the price of just one new one!

I picked up a dark brown Cattleman, a lighter brown Plainsman I steamed and re-shaped to look like the Cattleman with knowledge gleaned from here and online videos, and a gray Coober Pedy with a 'roo tail leather hatband with an inset opal that goes great with the hat color.

Being now in my mid fifties, I have no problem wearing this type of hat and not really caring if others find it unusual in today's society. Hell, I LIKE unusual!

Not only that, but this world is changing too fast for the worse the past couple of decades, so I like being a little old-school at this stage in my life.

So glad to be here, hope to learn some things and share my new interest, and sorry for the length of this post.

My degree is in Journalism, but looking at this, one would think I got paid by the word!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Bird Lives, Bushman, jmclfrsh and Deenis!

It's a great to add to our ranks (some of us are more rank than others...:D) and bring on your lids.

Deenis, I hail (originally) from St. J., and so will deeply appreciate your weather and hat reports. I currently live amongst flatlanders...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari