Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invasion Vest ??

Eyemo

Practically Family
Here you go...this is the Tom Hanks figure I made for an exhibition..supporting a SPR assault vest.

collection1.jpg

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
I have to say that I'd like to get my hands on an OG copy vest. They do look sharp.

Here's a vest from the early 80's. They were used by the SBS and SAS just prior, during and after the Falklands War in '82. There's a photo of a group from the Royal Marines Mountain & Arctic Warfare Cadre (now re-named the Patrol Group I think) on Grytviken Island wearing them. Also a photo in Shortt's book of British special forces.
They are green heavy duty nylon pouches on the chest for mags/grenades etc and a white nylon mesh body with an attached rear pack lined with green nylon and a removable 'sleeping bag pouch' that is also lined in green nylon and is detachable. This one has no label (some did) and was made by the same company that made the two piece zip together HALO suit in goretex that was used about the same period.
IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Regards,
Dave

ukali1066

Practically Family
Regarding the Britsh Bren vest...these were still being used in the 1980's by Royal Marines in South Armagh, Northern Ireland to carry LMG magazines...they customised them with camo paintjobs

armagh2.jpg

armagh.jpg

JoshK

New in Town
Dudleydoright said:
Nice article here on the 'Ranger' Invasion Vest ......

http://rallypointmilitaria.com/tag/d-day

Dave

Seriously not issued to only rangers. Most of the vest went to the 16th and 116th Infantry Regiments of the 1st and 29th Infantry Divisions(these units were almost completely outfitted for the invasion with these vests). A number also went to the Assault Regiment of the 4th Infantry Division. From the incredibly comprehensive research of Jonathan Gawne it seems that only a few Ranger NCOs and Officers received them.

Finally lets start calling them by their actual nomenclature. They were not called assault vests, they were called assault jackets.

-Josh

McCreary

New in Town
I haven't been on here in a long time. But from reading through this thread I want to say that I do use an ATF Assault Jacket. I find it to be better than the M-1928 Haversack, you can carry more and it is more evenly distributed on your body. As for the grommets on the waist; you are correct they are bad, not weak, but just too close together that your M-1910 hooks usually can't fit through them properly (bend them a bit here and there). That having been said you can always wear a pistol belt with it (which is why there are holes cut through the back) or a cartridge/BAR belt over it. There are a lot of little tricks to the jacket (as all other TA-50 today), but most are user preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner