Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invisible Belts?

lci419

Familiar Face
Several years ago I seem to remember looking through an early 40s (41-42) Wards catalog and seeing what I would term an "invisible belt." I might be nuts, but I think that's what I saw anyway...As I recall it was a belt made out of clear vinyl or something like that. Has anyone else seen anything like this, have pictures of such, or know anything about them? Is my recollection entirely faulty and I didn't really see what I thought I saw? Thanks.

MB5

One of the Regulars
Here is an advert from a 1930's Esquire someone posted on the forum a while back showing just that.
1930sEsquire010.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I vaguely recall Marc or possibly Feraud having one of those in the flesh.

Or, I was dreaming...........

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one of these. It's not clear plastic, or maybe it got yellowed with age. I believe our own Resortes has a few and maybe even clear suspenders.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I thought I had see it all.... ;)

I can't read the fine print, but I'm guessing one function was it was for the gentleman who wanted extra support with his braces, but didn't want it to show. [huh] Otherwise it just looked cool...:D

Feraud

Bartender
It was probably Mr. Chevalier who posted an example from his collection.

Am I wrong in remembering there were also clear elastic wristwatch bands?

lci419

Familiar Face
Fabulous! I didn't think I was nuts (well, that's not true). That's exactly what I was looking for. Being modestly creative and crafty, I was thinking about trying to make one of these and wanted to see some details, so the more pictures etc. the better.

I get the impression the purpose of these was to allow a belt to be worn that would color coordinate with anything because they are transparent. Now I'm wondering if the buckle is transparent as well, or could any buckle be used. From the illustration, it's hard for me to tell if it is a silver or clear buckle.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks like they're still being made, but only at 1-1/2".

Clear Snap on Belt

_1272906676076.jpg

Or the 1" IsABelt

Elasti-glass was defined as a trade name for a vinyl copolymer, Vinylite, which was also used for records. Vinylite is a a copolymer of vinyl chloride and vinyl acetate, which is PVC.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
And it appears the buckles were metal, made of Monel, which is nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with some iron and other trace elements.

PopularScience-GoogleBooks_12729-1.jpg

PopularScience-GoogleBooks_12729070.jpg

PopularMechanics-GoogleBooks_127-1.jpg

LIFE-GoogleBooks_1272907393248.jpg

LIFE-GoogleBooks_1272907350987.jpg

LIFE-GoogleBooks_1272907281019.jpg

lci419

Familiar Face
Thanks Dinerman...now I know I have GOT TO HAVE one. Might tackle making some braces too! I note they have clip on attachments.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
lci419 said:
Thanks Dinerman...now I know I have GOT TO HAVE one. Might tackle making some braces too! I note they have clip on attachments.

There's also the button-on pair in one of the ads., so it could really go either way.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I have a belt that I bought off of Ardis. I will try and post a pic later. I would kill for some clear plastic braces!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy