Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irony in the misconception that people who wear fedoras look ridiculous

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
To my mind, the popular misconception that people who wears fedoras make themselves look ridiculous is deeply ironic.

When I think of all the options of what I could possibly wear to keep my head warm in the cold of Winter, a fedora seems like the only option that is not ridiculous.

What are my other options?

Hatless - I will lose tons of body heat and possibly catch a pneumonia. In any case, I will definitely be putting my health at risk.

Baseball cap - This poses the same health risks as the hatless option, and it also looks trashy.

Toque - I will stay warm, but I'll look like a silly man whose head is sporting an overgrown sock.

Parka with hood - I will stay warm, but I'll look better-suited for an Inuit community who lives in the Arctic rather than for the urban city environment in which I live. Granted, in my opinion, the parka with hood choice is certainly the most respectable non-fedora option.

Newsboy cap - I do not have experience with these, but I'd guess that they wouldn't keep my head warm in Winter (correct me if I'm wrong), and anyway, I'd also guess that the those who mock the wearing of fedoras would mock the wearing of newsboy caps equally as much.

Someone who does not wear fedoras, and who lives in a place that has cold Winters, is stuck conforming to one or more of the above mentioned, inferior options, is he not?

Therefore, I contend that in cold climates during Winter time, chances are quite good that any given mocker of fedora-wearers himself or herself looks far more ridiculous than does the person(s) whom he or she is mocking.

Having I missed anything in this argument?

Do you agree or disagree with my argument?

Do you concur that much irony is to be found when people who themselves wear worse attire mock the wearers of fedoras?

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Well, I'd like to see the empirical data that says those that ridicule wearers of the Fedora wear worse attire. Is there a source that will show the demographics of such scoffers?

I myself have never met anyone who ridicules the wearing of a Fedora, so I can't say that for a fact. IMO, most folks wouldn't recognize a period piece if they had a guidebook.

My personal experience is that I regularly get compliments on my Fedoras. I don't wear suits on a daily basis( and only for special occasions), as I'm a gentleman farmer, so I WILL go out in kakis, a A2 or sport jacket and a Fedora every time.

Now, after saying all that, IMO, unless it's a Roaring 20's ball or Halloween, it is a bit piculiar to go out daily all decked out in 1920/30's attire, unless one is immensly wealthy or in their 80's or 90's..

You know what they say, the only difference between eccentric and crazy is about a million dollars.

Last edited:

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Well, I'd like to see the empirical data that says those that ridicule wearers of the Fedora wear worse attire. Is there a source that will show the demographics of such scoffers?

Granted, I do not have empirical data. I agree it would be nice to have.

However, I do have logical deductions, as laid out in the OP.

If one does not wear a fedora, then he either wears nothing on his head - a very foolish choice in cold Winters, for health reasons - or he wears something else on his head. Those are the only alternatives.

If he wears something else on his head, and all the possible options of what he might wear on his head are worse than a fedora, then the only logical conclusion is that he must invariably be wearing worse attire than the fedora wearer whom he mocks.

That is the logic that I am presenting. Does a defect exist in that logic?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's all relative. What is "worse" is opinion and conjecture. The fedora is not an objectively perfect piece of headwear. Moreover, it'd be really boring if everyone liked the same things for the same reason.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Actually I can think of at least one hat that I would be happy to wear in the dead of winter that is NOT a fedora:

B-2ELCsmall.jpg

And being in Vermont I have worn many types of hats in the winter - all of which you listed and a few others. I look at the Fedora as one option and if someone ridicules it, it has nothing to do with them being dressed worse, it does however, have a lot to do with them being jerks.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
The defect would be begging the question. You have included the conclusion in the argument. It also seems to be a false dilemma. It's not purely black or white, it wasn't in the 30s and it isn't now. Placing inherent value on the choice of headgear is ad hominem.

There is little 'health' benefit to wearing a fedora in the winter, its heat retaining ability is mediocre at best and provides no protection for the ears, which are prone to frostbite in severe weather. I also live in a cold climate and I believe in dressing for the weather and the occasion. If I'm outside for a long period, it's below freezing, and not in a suit, I will be wearing a Stormy Kromer (which is vintage in design) or a Filson cap. If I'm in a suit chances are I'll be inside more than outside and so a fedora, homburg, or bowler it is.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I've only had one person openly say anything bad about my hats. One warm day, several springs ago, I walked into a courtroom and half the lawyers there were wearing seersucker suits. I commented to the nearest one that I could tell spring had arrived in New Bern...like the swallows of Capistrano, the seersuckers had returned to the courthouse. He looked at me and said, “Well, at least we’re not wearing our silly Roy Rogers hats.”

I figured I deserved that.

AF

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
Yup, what job said For Sure.
One wears what one wears.
And jlee, too. One's opinion is just that.
Me ? I've taken to wearing my recently acquired 10's-20's derby a lot more....with my workwear (although once I'm indoors at work, it comes off).
It was intended, as I understand, as more formal hat. But it was worn by all manner of folks for quite some years.
Do I match ? Not really.
Neither do I care.
It is mine, I paid for it, and I'm gonna wear it.
Same goes for my fedora.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Granted, I do not have empirical data. I agree it would be nice to have.

However, I do have logical deductions, as laid out in the OP.

If one does not wear a fedora, then he either wears nothing on his head - a very foolish choice in cold Winters, for health reasons - or he wears something else on his head. Those are the only alternatives.

If he wears something else on his head, and all the possible options of what he might wear on his head are worse than a fedora, then the only logical conclusion is that he must invariably be wearing worse attire than the fedora wearer whom he mocks.

That is the logic that I am presenting. Does a defect exist in that logic?

OK, I've lived up in Ohio and KCMO and in the Fall/winter, most folks wear some kind of headgear- either a knit cap, the Russian type hat with ear flaps or hoods of parkas, etc.

Very few folks consider their headwear a fashion statement. Even fewer are comparing headwear as a sign of self worth.

IMO, your logic is incorrect, as imo, the only one who would negatively judge a person's Fedora is another Fedora wearer who has a much better Fedora. Those would be the only ones who even have an opinion of a Fedora, who would say something like, "I wouldn't be caught in public in such a cheap Fedora." or " That poor excuse of a hat gives real Fedoras a bad name." or even "Skid Row called, they want their hat back."

As been said, most folks don't know a Fedora from a Cowboy hat.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now, after saying all that, IMO, unless it's a Roaring 20's ball or Halloween, it is a bit piculiar to go out daily all decked out in 1920/30's attire, unless one is immensly wealthy or in their 80's or 90's..

You know what they say, the only difference between eccentric and crazy is about a million dollars.

I guess you've never looked at the Suits section of the Lounge . . . :eusa_doh:

fedoracentric

Banned
I understand the sentiment of the original post, but, of course the whole thing is merely opinion, not based on empirical evidence.

I'd also point out that there is no "irony" to any of it.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Canada eh? I live in Canada too and when it's well below freezing I wear a fur hat. It gets some comments, mostly jocular.

I have never heard a negative remark about Fedoras except possibly once. I was talking to a guy and suggested he get a hat like mine. He looked at my Fedora and said "maybe when I'm 50". I thought it was a bit of a crack but I have heard worse.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes it is too easy to overthink these things.
Just wear what you want, who cares what anyone else might think?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Newsboy cap - I do not have experience with these, but I'd guess that they wouldn't keep my head warm in Winter (correct me if I'm wrong), and anyway, I'd also guess that the those who mock the wearing of fedoras would mock the wearing of newsboy caps equally as much.

I can't speak for BB caps, but newsboys and their brothers, the flat cap, will most certainly keep your head warm!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24