Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irvin jacket disappearing from e-bay

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
How come the auction for an original Irvin jacket, suddenly ends several days before it should end?
Can the seller withdraw it?
Can somebody contact the seller and give him an offer, he can't turn down?

The price for the jacket was 10£ or $ - just dont remeber. There were no bids and the auction should go on till 3 or 4 of november.
Can anybody explain this...[huh]

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not sure which Irvin jacket you mean? The seller has either been made an offer or decided to pull the jacket due to lack of bids. I suspect the former though.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I remember that guy, he bought an irvin collar strap off one of my auctions early this year for some insane amount, 350.00 $ I think. Nice jacket though, my size too.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
eeeeeeeeK-bay

yes, ebay has all sorts of little pitfalls...i could go on but then i'd have my 33rd nervous breakdown...

on something like this i always put a bid, even if it's low, to keep this sort of thing from happening...if there are no bids, no telling what will happen...

the virtue of ebay, and what they let happen there, rivaLs the virtue of heidi fLeiss...and i'm a big fan of hers...not ebay's tho

don't get me started...

johnnyANGRYjohnny

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Was it a goodie Soren?

It was a goodie - not my size though. But for my son.
The seller/jacket was in Mexico - of all places.
(What's a Irvin Jacket doing in Mexico?)
The jacket was in perfect condition - all zippers original and intact etc.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
I saw this jacket as well, I had just logged on to make a bid only to find it had been taken off.

It did seem to be all there and in great condition.

The only thing was that the label said a size 4 but breast 47 and waist 46?? But it measured 23” under the arms.

What would have happened If I had made a bid? Could it still be retracted?

I had to call Eastman and order a 42 pat to consol myself!! Will be here in Two days:D

James.

Edward

Bartender
As far as I am aware, the seller can pull an auction at any time up and until the first bid is made. Even then they can still pull the auction if they do so on certain limited grounds. A beautiful repro 40s suit I was bidding on a few months ago was pulled very late on. I was the leading bid at GBP30.00 with only two hours to go when the auction was pulled because the item was "damaged or not available any longer." Ho hum - draw your own conclusion as to what really happened. :rolleyes:

Edward

Bartender
Here's another thing to consider.... I was talking to Pete (Baron Kurtz) recently about his new Irvin, and he mentioned that the price of Irvins on eBay seems to have dropped considrably in recent months. Maybe sellers are holding off until the Dambusters remake comes out in the hope that increased interest then will net them a better price?

Edward

Bartender
H.Johnson said:
As if the Dambusters wore Irvin jackets!

Why let historical accuracy get in the way of popular perception? William Wallace never wore a kilt, or wode, either, but.... Yay Hollywood! ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
With automated sniping so widespread, the next logical step is ending an auction privately with the seller, making the item "disappear." Call it supersniping.

eBay has warnings and such up, but it's probably nothing they, or other bidders, can defend against, and it makes sense for the seller if he's willing to take a chance. A nuclear option, if you will.

Someone supersniped a pair of swell looking brown highboots I had my eyes on, with like 6 days to run.

This also used to happen to A-1 jackets a lot.

Justdog

Practically Family
Bid

jamespibworth@n said:
I saw this jacket as well, I had just logged on to make a bid only to find it had been taken off.

It did seem to be all there and in great condition.

The only thing was that the label said a size 4 but breast 47 and waist 46?? But it measured 23” under the arms.

What would have happened If I had made a bid? Could it still be retracted?

I had to call Eastman and order a 42 pat to consol myself!! Will be here in Two days:D

James.

Under certain circumstances and depending on the time frame it could still be cancelled for listing error item no longer available excuses

Edward

Bartender
Fletch said:
With automated sniping so widespread, the next logical step is ending an auction privately with the seller, making the item "disappear." Call it supersniping.

eBay has warnings and such up, but it's probably nothing they, or other bidders, can defend against, and it makes sense for the seller if he's willing to take a chance. A nuclear option, if you will.

Someone supersniped a pair of swell looking brown highboots I had my eyes on, with like 6 days to run.

This also used to happen to A-1 jackets a lot.

Recently I had a few enquiries as to what my "buy it now" would be on some items where I hadn't listed one - i.e. the would-be buyer was obviously asking me in a tinly-veiled way what I would take to end the auction and sell privately to them. I always politely decline these offers, but I think that with eBay's new pricing structure (taking a percentage of your final sale price, where they used only to charge for insertion) we'll see an awful lot more of this sort of thing happening, especially with high value items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart