Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
All true, but surely it's down to supply and demand. If you look at the sales of RAF vs USAAF reproductions by the UK repro manufacturers, I think you'll find that the demand for USAAF clothing in general outweighs RAF stuff by many times. There are more styles, for a start.

In any case, in my experience good original 'Irvin' jackets and trousers (by which I mean Irvin pattern, not necessarily by IAC) are more readily available in the UK than are their US counterparts. Hence the need for reproduction US stuff. If you can get an original, why buy a reproduction?

Alan

irvinsuit said:
Hi Everyone, I'm new here and I thought that I'd add a posting to the forum regarding some observations and frustations with Irvin products. Firstly if you look at the various manufacturers you can get all manner of USAAF and USN leathers and shearlings including sheepskin flying trousers. You are absolutely spoilt for choice. When it comes to Irvins you can get 1940 and 1942 pattern jackets in short wool, possibly quarter inch, you can get "other" reproduction Irvins, and you can get so called Irvin trousers that look nothing like the real thing. So if you wanted that 1941 jacket with longer half inch or in some case three quarter inch wool then you've had it, same with any pattern of Hooded Irvin jacket, or late war multi-panelled Irvin or even a decent pair of matching Irvin trousers. I think that the current 1940 and 1942 Irvins on the market look good, however they look a little too perfect and I'd like to see some irregularities in the texture and length of the fur to give the really authentic look. I just wish that we had more choice with jacket patterns and also with trousers.

Thanks

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
All true, but surely it's down to supply and demand. If you look at the sales of RAF vs USAAF reproductions by the UK repro manufacturers, I think you'll find that the demand for USAAF clothing in general outweighs RAF stuff by many times. There are more styles, for a start.

In any case, in my experience good original 'Irvin' jackets and trousers (by which I mean Irvin pattern, not necessarily by IAC) are more readily available in the UK than are their US counterparts. Hence the need for reproduction US stuff. If you can get an original, why buy a reproduction?

Alan

Alan, I fully agree with your comments. Why buy a repro Irvin from the restricted choice available when you can buy an excellent original for the same money? Irvins requiring some work still sell for under £100.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
Irvin frustrations...

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess that I'm thinking that even if the good manaufacturers decided to vary their patterns each year and for example make a heavier Irvin in a chocolate brown colour for 2008 only then you could get that variation that we so lack. I still would really like a new Hooded Irvin and trousers from new.

Edward

Bartender
A new hooded Irvin should also mean having the option of the hood not being painted yellow - that would be a historical detail that I'm sure many folks would be very willing to sacrifice to make it more wearable day to day...

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
Hooded Irvin

Hi Edward,

I completely agree with you, however if was beaten up on the forums for this then I could always nip out and buy a tin of yellow paint and a brush for about £5 I think that we should lobby parliament to get a Hooded Irvin manufacturer set up lol

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Alan, I fully agree with your comments. Why buy a repro Irvin from the restricted choice available when you can buy an excellent original for the same money? Irvins requiring some work still sell for under £100.

Why buy repro? One good reason is the sizes then and now.;)

aswatland

Spitfire said:
Why buy repro? One good reason is the sizes then and now.;)

Although more originals are smaller sizes you can buy the larger size 5s and 6s. I am fortunate having a 38" chest, but long arms so can wear size 4 and 5 Irvins with no problem. Of course bigger Irvin buffs have more difficulties in finding a large original. IMO there is absolutely no substitute for a good original Irvin!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
ALCOVA said:
Smithy...I'll have to admit Im jealous. I've been admiring that jacket from eastman for sometime but there is one thing that has kept me from purchasing one. The current price for that jacket on the eastman site comes out to around $970.00 U.S. with the current exchange rate. However, since I live in the states it seems I need to purchase the jacket through Historypreservation.com where the jacket is $1485.00 U.S.!!! What gives with the mark up. Does anyone know why this is or if there is a way around paying that mark up for the jacket. Anyway....congrats on the jacket.....it is a thing of beauty...

thanks,

You could try aeroleatherclothing.com in Scotland. Makes great Irvins IMO.
Een have originals for sale too.
The new ones are slightly cheaper than Eastman - and they offers free shipping to US.
Might be worth looking into...

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
Although more originals are smaller sizes you can buy the larger size 5s and 6s. I am fortunate having a 38" chest, but long arms so can wear size 4 and 5 Irvins with no problem. Of course bigger Irvin buffs have more difficulties in finding a large original. IMO there is absolutely no substitute for a good original Irvin!

I believe you Aswatland. Originals are superior. But being 1,93 m in height and chest like a barrel...I have to settle for the wellmade repro.:D

kampkatz

Practically Family
Authentic Irvin?

I apologize if this question has been asked, but is there any original Irvin with an outside pocket? I have seen some photos of jackest with pockets but
they may be only on repros. Thanks in advance for any info.

aswatland

kampkatz said:
I apologize if this question has been asked, but is there any original Irvin with an outside pocket? I have seen some photos of jackest with pockets but
they may be only on repros. Thanks in advance for any info.

Irvins made from 1931 to 1945 did not have pockets. They were worn as part of the Irvin suit and there were pockets on the trousers. There was also access through openings in the side of the trousers to enable the airman to use his cloth trouser pockets underneath.

I have seen original Irvins with pockets added, but these are rare and I suspect most were done post war!

kampkatz

Practically Family
Thank you Andrew for your quick reply. I appreciate being better educated in such historical matters.

p.s. I thoroughly enjoy the photos of your excellent jacket collection.

Paul

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
ALCOVA said:
Smithy...I'll have to admit Im jealous. I've been admiring that jacket from eastman for sometime but there is one thing that has kept me from purchasing one. The current price for that jacket on the eastman site comes out to around $970.00 U.S. with the current exchange rate. However, since I live in the states it seems I need to purchase the jacket through Historypreservation.com where the jacket is $1485.00 U.S.!!! What gives with the mark up. Does anyone know why this is or if there is a way around paying that mark up for the jacket. Anyway....congrats on the jacket.....it is a thing of beauty...

thanks,

Thanks Alcova, I couldn't be happier with it, absolutely perfect!

I had no idea that it is so expensive to purchase one when living in the States, sounds a bit harsh.

Mind you I would've paid even more for mine if i had of known it would turn out this good!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well I promised photos of me in my Irvin a couple of weeks ago so better late than never.

Apologies for the "model" but I look like an absolute gargoyle as we have just come back from the pub...

Irvin1-1.jpg

Irvin2-1.jpg

Irvin4.jpg

Fit is perfect, this obviously is with a shirt, with a jumper it fills out but still room to move and not too tight either.

Awfully sorry for looking like a stunned trout in the pics but I hope you get an idea for what the ELC 1940 Pattern looks like.

EDIT: Sorry I'm not particularly vintage vintage in these!

DOUBLE EDIT: I've taken out some of the pics. I was a tad tiddly when they were taken and the better half announced "you can't post pictures of yourself in that kind of state looking like that!". I've left the one from behind where you can't see how drunkenly cross-eyed I was!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Aero Irvin vs ELC Irvin

Hi, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am thinking of getting myself a new Irvin instead of my old Aviation Leathercraft one.
The reson for the change is simply the (not original) sidepockets!!!
It really irritates me, that I had them made back then.

As you can guesse, I am after the original or as close to the original as possible. But which is the best/most original Irvin? Aero or ELC?

Another reason for my interest in Aeo is, that they can make it in my height and size - while Eastman "only" goes to 48 - so I might be stuck with Aero. But then I just don't want to go wrong.

Any advice, info etc. especially from Aero/Irvin owners would be welcome.
Thanks.

John Lever

One Too Many
Aero are in the process of re-vamping their jacket to include a repro AM zip and collar strap. At the moment they have some sample jackets in their sale section. I haven't seen the 'new' jacket yet. I think Eastman is still the one to beat.
The Few offer an RAF jacket if you can afford one !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred