Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very sharp there Smithy!!

That's going to look so good as you beast it through the winter!!

Smithy said:
And here she is rugged up with jumper...

Irvin5.jpg

Irvin6.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Irvin goes to highest bidder!

In order to get things rolling around here, my Irvin is now going to the highest bidder. Startprice £250.
Se Classified.....this is you big chance.;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Northern Hemisphere Irvin owners...

"TIS THE WINTER OF OUR CONTENT..!!!" The nights are closing in, the temperatures are dropping...NOT LONG NOW I hear you whisper..until those immortal sheepskin babies start rising from their slumber and walk the land once again for another winter season!

"I can't wait!!"

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PADDY said:
"TIS THE WINTER OF OUR CONTENT..!!!" The nights are closing in, the temperatures are dropping...NOT LONG NOW I hear you whisper..until those immortal sheepskin babies start rising from their slumber and walk the land once again for another winter season!

"I can't wait!!"

My thoughts as well. I can't wait to roll out an Irvin or B3!:)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's a rather nippy 7 degrees celsius with a very chill wind here today so I was tucked up in my Irvin when I went down to the shops!

Edward

Bartender
If you're looking an excuse, I can highly recommend having to sleep rough at a hole-in-the-hedge train station somewhere in suburban Kent.... lol I missed the last train out on night back in June, didn't want to phone my friends back and inconvenience them as they'd all have been long asleep (they still don't know), so I bedded down at the station. Damn did it get cold in the early morning, even once the sun came up. I had a very vivid dream that night about the merits of Irvins and B3s!! lol

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
magnificent

That jacket looks magnificent smithy,it must be an absolute joy to wear.To think,an irvin when it was originally made in the war period,would have looked exactly the same when it was brand new and freshly made,as yours does now,gave me a thrill looking at your jacket,and made me want to start saving up to buy one.It is so beautifully made,with such exquisite detail.
You look great wearing that jacket smithy.you should be in a war movie wearing it.It looks wonderful with that white sweater you have underneath it.is the sweater one of the submarine/RAF style sweaters?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
blacklagoon said:
That jacket looks magnificent smithy,it must be an absolute joy to wear.To think,an irvin when it was originally made in the war period,would have looked exactly the same when it was brand new and freshly made,as yours does now,gave me a thrill looking at your jacket,and made me want to start saving up to buy one.It is so beautifully made,with such exquisite detail.
You look great wearing that jacket smithy.you should be in a war movie wearing it.It looks wonderful with that white sweater you have underneath it.is the sweater one of the submarine/RAF style sweaters?

Hi Blacklagoon, thank you so much for the kind words. It's not a RN jumper or RAF frock, just a big natural wool jersey and a white scarf.

I've had quite a few PMs from people asking about my Eastman 1940 Irvin and seeing that I have had it for a month or so I shall post some detail photos and some insights into the jacket.

Once again cheers!

Smithy.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Irvins in Australia

I'm aware of only one other Irvin Owner here and as you would expect they are not exactly essential items of clothing, unless you live at the bottom of Tasmania. However I do get a bit of wear in mine at certain times, such as in my MG in winter or the occasional trip to the mountains. My passion for the Irvin is less to do with fashion and more associated with what it represents and the memory of those who wore these amazing items of clothing to work. The Vintage Flying Jacket bug was an extension of years of collecting vintage flying gear.

I've owned 7 over the years, but now only have 3, all of which are as good as I hope to ever find, especially as they fit me (6'2", 96kg), so i'm totally satisfied. There's also absolutely no possibility I would need to wear anything other than a shirt under these so I don't need anything larger. I'd be unlikely to ever buy a repro as I don't need it for warmth, but probably would if I lived somewhere that would get the use and I wouldn't want to damage an original. Here are the shots of the jackets i've owned, the first three I still have;

Pre War two panel with unmarked pebble patterned zips, all original with owners name written on zipper, unresearched. If anyone is in a position to research RAF Offers please let me know;

P5080167-Copy.jpg

1941 Four panel jacket by Wareings of Northhampton. It's a size 5 and according to the label which is present fits a height of 5'10"- 5'11". It fits me fine but as we know these were meant to wear over Service Dress and frock. The size is something to be aware of it you are looking for a larger one but are worried that it may not fit if the label states it will fit a size smaller than you. All original, dot zips, complete with fobs. In excellent condition.

P5090157-Copy.jpg

This is probably my favourite, it's a 2 panel pre War. It was refurbished by Aero many years ago with NOS main zip. The fit is excellent and it's slighly longer in the body than the top one. I use this one when diriving sans roof in winter and the occasional open cockpit flight. The fleece on this jacket is also a little lighter, maybe because it has had more wear.

IMG_0310.jpg

The following jackets I have since sold;

This one belonged to a former RAAF Bomber Crewman. It was the largest and heaviest I have ever handled. It looked big on me. It had seen a lot of wear and had many field repairs. Interestingly although it is a two panel jacket it was fitted with original lightning zips. Something i've also not seen before or since.

IMG_3651.jpg

This pre War two panel is a beautiful jacket with the nicest fleece and outer surface of all I've handled, and it was also a lovely colour. Unfortunaltely it had some minor damage to the hem at the side and some wear to an arm, but it had very well made pebbled no name zips- the tapes were very heavy guage and strong.

IMG_0889.jpg

This is an example of a late War multi- panel type made by IAC. The leather was quite worn which is typical of this type of fleece which is probably due to being a lesser quality than the early types. The zips were stamped with Air Ministry markings. Quite a pattern of shapes required to make up this jacket.

IMG_8843-s.jpg

Last and only Fleet Air Arm jacket I have owned, this one was bought to provide parts for repair work which never eventuated. This jacket is quite small and has suffered (or rather the original Owner suffered) what appeared to be substantial battle damage to the back. It had terrible looking burns and cuts across the back and had been poorly patched in recent times. In the end I couldn't bring myself to reduce it to parts and so it was sold as is.

RIMG0069.jpg

That's it. A word of warning to anyone contemplating repairing original Irvins, it takes a lot of time to find the right bits and pieces, you will need to find good donor materials and then someone who is skilled enough and willing to take it on. A poor refurb and installing new replacement parts such as contemporary zips which do not look the part will only reduce the value of the item.

Now to put them away for another 9 months.:(

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
speechless...

WOW! I am literally still picking my jaw off the ground,after seeing all that unparalleled collection of irvins,windsock.they are all in such incredible condition.I seriously cannot think of anything to write,i am so absolutely awestruck by them all.it must have been a wrench having to sell a few of them,especially after posting their pictures here,and seeing them all together in all their glory.I wish more people were like you windsock,and recognised irvins as something to take care of and cherish.thank you so very much for taking time to post such wonderful pictures.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Spitfire said:
Some great IRVINs you got there down under, Windsock. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys, as with all things in collecting it takes time, luck and funds, the last being raised by upgrading from the earlier collection. To be fair I must give Andrew Swatland kudos here as he is well aquainted with several of these jackets.

blacklagoon said:
especially after posting their pictures here,and seeing them all together in all their glory.I wish more people were like you windsock,and recognised irvins as something to take care of and cherish.thank you so very much for taking time to post such wonderful pictures.

Yes this is the first time i've assembled all the shots together. Well worth the excercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick