Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Either of the Andrews will have a better idea Ethan but IIRC Irvins were stopped being issued to Fighter Command aircrew around '43, although by the looks of 2TAF squadrons during the cold winter of '44/'45 they were still able to be "wangled" by fighter squadrons, though this seems to have been more for "on the ground" warmth rather than flying duties.

They seemed to disappear fairly quickly after the war although I have seen the odd photo of individuals wearing them in some photos from the late '40s/very early '50s.

Like I said though our resident Irvin gurus will be able to give more precise info.

wildbluesea

New in Town
Thanks for the pictures Smithy. That's how the pics on Easman's website should look - makes me drool!
Just some feedback regarding my B9. Have been corresponding with Mara from Noble House in Germany. She couldn't be any friendlier. Has listened to my concerns about my shearling leather. More than happy to refund, but stands by the quality of their jackets. She says some companies have more colour and wax on their jackets, but their's is a quality product and that the "fighter squadron Bölcke" of the German Air Force proudly wear them. Here's a pic she directed me to. It's their battle of Britain jacket. Kind of ironic that - German Airforce wearing English style jackets - a good endorsement of the design some 70 odd years later. And of course a double win....but we won't go there.

tornado2.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's bloody confusing when you first get into flying jackets Wildbluesea as there is so much out there, and it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. Have a good shufti round the threads on here as there are a lot of pics and a lot of chaps who really know their onions.

Also before I forget, I should also mention with the pics I posted, the jacket is not as red tinged as in the photos, that's just the flash on the "snap-happy" camera.

That pic you posted is a little ironic isn't it!

PS - I'm moving to Melbourne in the next month of so, so if you are up there you're more than welcome to have a look at my jacket if it helps.

wildbluesea

New in Town
Hi Smithy,
It looks like you're in Norway at the moment, so how come the move to Australia? You've obviously been before? You'll still get some use out of your jackets though. It's hot in summer, but cool in winter, especially up in the snow fields. I visit Melbourne a few times a year. Yeah, I'll have to shout you a beer or something and check out your jacket!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
wildbluesea said:
Thanks for the pictures Smithy. That's how the pics on Easman's website should look - makes me drool!
Just some feedback regarding my B9. Have been corresponding with Mara from Noble House in Germany. She couldn't be any friendlier. Has listened to my concerns about my shearling leather. More than happy to refund, but stands by the quality of their jackets. She says some companies have more colour and wax on their jackets, but their's is a quality product and that the "fighter squadron Bölcke" of the German Air Force proudly wear them. Here's a pic she directed me to. It's their battle of Britain jacket. Kind of ironic that - German Airforce wearing English style jackets - a good endorsement of the design some 70 odd years later. And of course a double win....but we won't go there.

tornado2.jpg

"Irvin" with sidepockets???? WRONG!!!!!

Eyemo

Practically Family
I agree with Smithy, Eastman for me everytime. I know Gary well and have photographed some of his jackets for him...He puts 110% into all his products and they just shout quality (Should see his Officers Pinks)..and the great thing is as his jackets wear in they look even better! just my humble opinion.:)

Ok..Not an Irvin, but a shot I took of the 352nd Limited edition A2 he brought out a few years back.

013.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
That's not the first picture I've seen of German aircrew wearing Irvins! Great
publicity shot though.
I wonder why they would stop issuing Irvins to fighter squadrons Tim? I know
flying times were shorter and cockpits more cramped but those guys must still have got cold! The RAF was a bit of an empty cupboard compared to the USAAF, with their A2's, B3's, B6's, B15's etc. etc.
I recognise your photo eyemo, wasn't it used in Flypast by ELC a while ago? I remember doing a double take then, convincing stuff, this shot is brilliantly composed.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Thanks Ethan, Yes it was used in Flypast...Gary wanted a shot to show off the unique pockets of this paticular jacket..I suggested that we did something different other that the typical pose in front of aircraft pose..and this is what we did...

Glad you liked the shot..as I said, not an Irvin,but I think it demonstrates the quality of Gary's jackets.

wildbluesea

New in Town
I know what you mean, spitfire -maybe not originanal with the side pockets, but what is it that they say: if you don't adapt you die...especially in battle. I wore the B9 out tonight for the first time and in a cold Hobart night I was bloody glad of the pockets! Looked bloody good in the pub too - not many of these down here - sherling jackets that is..lots of good pubs though. Hate to play devils advovate here, but can't we improve on the original, without taking anyhting away from the original....So long as the quality remains, I love both!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Wildbluesea, I am in Norway at the moment (my fiancée is Norwegian) but off to Oz soon. I'm a Kiwi but used to live in Sydney. You're more than welcome to have a look at the jacket and shout me a beer :) When you think about getting another sheepskin flying jacket, definitely consider an Eastman.

Ethan, they stopped issuing Irvins to fighter pilots when cockpit heating became standard. Also some pilots didn't like the bulkiness of Irvins in a small fighter cockpit thinking it restricted vision and easy of movement to look for enemy aircraft.

Great photo Eyemo, I've seen that in Aeroplane before.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
wildbluesea said:
Smithy,
OK, you might be a Kiwi, but I'll shout you a beer or three anyway...only kidding. Look forward to seeing you mate, back home..or close to it!

You're on then :D

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Back gents.

It was a long journey across France, over the Pyranees, through Spain and into Portugal, but the escape network got me through and I'm back to Blightey!!;)

Good to be back gents!!

wildbluesea

New in Town
Love the advertisment shot of the Eastman jacket eyemo - brilliant! And very clever too - perfectly posed. I think krasno35 did a brilliant job too a little way back, walking in a field with his kit - also spot on. And smithy, yes I'd love an Eastman to compliment my B9, but am I right in thinking that they only make authentic coppies i.e. no modern pockets on the front if I want them (duck for cover) sorry spitfire!!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
That's true Wildbluesea, Eastman only do Irvins without pockets (just like the real ones). To be honest, I've never once missed not having pockets on the jacket and that's here in Norway and even when we were inside the Arctic Circle during the middle of winter. I'm either wearing gloves (if it's really cold) or just shove my hands in my trouser pockets.

No need for the things ;)

krasno35

Familiar Face
For everyday wear, the non pocket is not a problem...except for car's keys!!!:)
But I can't imagine such a perfect repro with pockets!

Jerome

I've always wondered what you guys do with your Irvins over the summer. Mine is currently languising in a steamer trunk with all or other winter gear. Wrapped in archive-quality tissue paper :rolleyes: to prevent any unwanted scratching and surrounded by moth balls.

It will soon come out so that i can restitch all the seams that rotted away during last winter's wear. I shored them up - using the existing stitch-holes, of course - at the time but didn't have the correct thread to do it properly. I just bought 1200 yards of surplus military-spec rotproofed linen thread, so i can do it properly.

So … assuming it's not cold where you are right now, what is the status of your Irvins? I have visions of members here stroking and staring at their Irvins all summer long. ;)

bk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL