Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Surely this thread has 'reached capacity'? If people read back down the thread they could find the information they want, but I guess it's now too big to expect them to do that.

It's repeated some items two or three times and as such isn't adding much to the field.

Bartenders, time to lock and move on to something of interest?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Irvin thread.

This will continue to run. If it is locked down then the same 'type' of thread will regrow in another form. It's reasonable to contain it all 'here' as a running reference piece that new and old members can dip into 'as and when' required.

But I appreciate what you are advising Herb and why, and am thankful that your interest in the subject prompts such timely advice - thankyou ;)

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Paddy

Thank you. I think that this thread has finally put paid to my interest in the subject. Surely there is only so much discussion people can undertake on a particular topic before it becomes boring?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Boring

H.Johnson said:
Paddy

Thank you. I think that this thread has finally put paid to my interest in the subject. Surely there is only so much discussion people can undertake on a particular topic before it becomes boring?

My profound apologies to H Johnson for any contributions I've made which have led to him becoming bored. I will strive not to be quite so boring in any future posts. But I'm not promising anything.

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
Tough question to answere, Paddy.
To me at least the Irvin is THE flying jacket - and has been so ever since my childhood.

Living in Europe - and in a country which was occupied by the nazis - RAF, United Kingdom and Montgomery has a lot of meaning.

My father (who was in the resistance) told me how RAF dropped weapons, explosives etc to them. Just as The Battle of Britain meant a lot to all Europeans in occupied countries. It gave them hope.
We all know that Russia and The United States were in it too - but it was the British who stopped Hitler and it was the British who helped us. And it was the Britsih who liberated us.
(Uhhh - has to step lightly here;) )
At leaste, it made a lot of sense back then - and it still does to this day to me.

I was brought up with stories and tales about RAF, I read the "The Trojan Horse" and "Escape from Colditz" again and again as a teenager.

Just like the Spitfire became the icon of RAF and The Battle of Britain -
The Irvin became the symbol/icon of its pilots.
Of courage against heavy odds. Of The Few.

Besides that, it's a damn nice, warm and practical jacket with lots of swagger!
And built-in-history.:)

Nicely put Soren - I think there might be several others here who share your sentiments very closely, thanks for expressing them so well.

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Surely this thread has 'reached capacity'?

Mr Johnson you curmudgeonly type! And just as I was about to reveal that I have, at long last, found me one of those pesky Irvins!! Yes it's true boys, I am now, once more, with Irvin.

After looking at all the wonderful jackets in the lounger's wardrobes and the prices that are being achieved on Ebay I did the only thing I could: found the most beat up, sorry son-of-a-gun Irvin I could find and offer to give it the love and respect it deserves. Man this jacket is so worn out it's actually made of fresh air held together with the remnants of an Irvin jacket.

But, I love it! And it's similar in attitude to the one I had as a youth.

So before you scuttle off to threads new, I need to borrow your brains. I need a couple of zips and a little knowledge under my belt before I call Aero re what can be done and what can't.

The kind seller also threw in a couple of (equally beat up) spare arms to use as patches. Maybe I should construct a 4 armed Irvin, dream up a suitable story and relist it.

Yes I'll do pictures. You chaps are going to be chuckling into your honey coloured sheepskin. This is the Tom Waits of the Irvin world

And it's mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That's the BULLDOG spirit I've come to expect in here ;)

There's 'always' someone of us who will need help, advice, experience, signposting with regards to this iconic jacket, whether it's how to date an item, or locate a spare zipp..etc, that's what this is all about. Well done gents - proud of you :eusa_clap

Can't wait to see this moth eaten, air filled, four armed monster of an Irvin, once it undergoes major surgery and resuss!!;)

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks chaps, I agree with you Paddy. The Lounge banter is much fun but the combined knowledge is truely outstanding.

As for the jacket, well it's the kind of rag that aswatland might use to wrap up one of his jackets if he were to post one lol but, needs must in these difficult times.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you find this lengthy thread so boring HJ I would advise you to ignore it in the future. It seems you take pleasure from being controversial!

New information is coming to light all the time as original jackets are studied. There are members here who are undertaking research on Irvins and may share it here at the appropriate time in the future.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gents..please...

All points have been made well. Let's return to business as usual in here and talk Irvin talk. Those that want to contribute or be educated..just dip in as and when ;) Thanks again chaps :eusa_clap Enough said.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Got my WPG Irvin today.

I must say it's a great looking jacket to a very good price.
It is deffinately thinner fleece than my ALC. (Allthough I had it made in thinner fleece too) So - it's not as warm. Which is good.
Can even wear the white RN jumper underneath now without melting away.
Heard a lot of problems with the zippers - they were flimpsy and did not work...I will just say: No problems here. And they even look more authentic than the brass ones in my ALC.
I have never held a historic Irvin in my hand - only seen a lot of pictures. And if I compare my WPG Irvin to the pictures, I will say that they have come pretty damn close. Both in color, fleece and cut.

All in all: A great looking Irvin repro. At a very affordable price.:eusa_clap

aswatland

Spitfire said:
I must say it's a great looking jacket to a very good price.
It is deffinately thinner fleece than my ALC. (Allthough I had it made in thinner fleece too) So - it's not as warm. Which is good.
Can even wear the white RN jumper underneath now without melting away.
Heard a lot of problems with the zippers - they were flimpsy and did not work...I will just say: No problems here. And they even look more authentic than the brass ones in my ALC.
I have never held a historic Irvin in my hand - only seen a lot of pictures. And if I compare my WPG Irvin to the pictures, I will say that they have come pretty damn close. Both in color, fleece and cut.

All in all: A great looking Irvin repro. At a very affordable price.:eusa_clap

I am so glad you are pleased with it. So Christmas has come early for you! I hope we can see some pics of you wearing it before too long.

I Simonius

New in Town
Tim's Grandfather's jacket

My mate Tim Denyer has asked me to take some snaps of his grandfathers jacket, witha view to him putting it on ebay. He's going to provide as much info as he can glean from the family about the history of it, as yet I dont have that.

If anyone would like to see it the pics are uploading to my SM gallery now, only two ther at the mo but there's 35 in total of different details (might take a while)

As you will be able to see , it has had some repairs done (a few years ago by Cirrus in Harleston)

I hope thisis of interest:)

The Gallery is here

aswatland

This Irvin started life as an electrically wired jacket. It dates to 1939-40 and with the rounded collar is most likely the work of Links. The nipple on the sleeve is the give-away for it being an electrically wired jacket. This was used to fix the heated gloves to the jacket. The main zip pull is a late War Flash Fastener and these were normally only used as sleeve zips. The belt buckle appears to be a modern replacement. Nice jacket. Good luck with it on Ebay.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
aswatland said:
I am so glad you are pleased with it. So Christmas has come early for you! I hope we can see some pics of you wearing it before too long.

Mais, bien sure...;)
WPGIrvindec2008002.jpg

And closed...
WPGIrvindec2008007.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
bburtner@moran said:
Spitfire,is that the WPG Irvin you are wearing? It looks quite nice I must say.Are the WPG`s made in Europe or Asia?BB
Thanks, yes it's my new WPG Irvin- As to where they are made? I have no clue.
But with the price they are asking, propably not Europe or US. Pakistan maybe? India?....why not ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner