Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a good vers of King Solomon's Mines?

mike

Call Me a Cab
After reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series, I'd love to read the source material for Allan Quatermain. I collect vintage books, and so will hold out for an affordable 30's if not significantly earlier version of the HR Haggard story so in the meantime, are any of the film versions worth the original novel?

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
In a word "no".

Actually, that's probably too harsh. None of the four or five versions out there can be considered great cinema but some of them are entertaining enough. I think I enjoyed the older ones the best. There is a version from the 1930's or early '40's that seemed pretty great when I saw it on Saturday afternoon TV when I was a kid. The Stewart Granger version from the 50's gets a fair amount of airplay on TV and its not bad. Nothing with Deborah Kerr could ever be too bad. The more recent versions left me pretty cold, especially the Golan-Globus 1980's version. *yucky*

mike

Call Me a Cab
So I'm through the first two Allan Quatermain adventures: King Solomon's Mines and the sequel simply titled, Allan Quatermain. The follow up has some nice dark tones to it, starting with the death of his son and his decision to escape London just to feel anything in this life again by searching out adventure. But I guess what bugs me is no matter how much I try to get away from it in my head, I have preconceived notions that these stories will some how creep towards some sort of Indiana Jones territory.

The problem I guess begins with the first adventure. King Solomon's Mines isn't about any sort of mystic, magical or masonic secrets. It's just money by way of diamonds. Or more exactly, the pursuit of someone who was in search of those diamonds and if they wind up finding fortune of their own in the process, so be it! One important aspect is that just the idea of finding such a treasure, to a point, would validate biblical archeology. Although it may be due to the era that it was written that this sort of concept was a given, but it is never addressed outright. So the follow up story isn't able to even fill the shoes of the predecessor, the sequel has Quatermain & pals on a quest to prove the unsubstantiated claim of a "white race" somewhere in the unexplored areas of Africa. yawns-ville! There are exciting adventures along the way, but as for a premise of a quest... I guess I would just like something a bit more substantial.

I watched the 50's version of King Solomon's Mines. I guess some of the overall tone of the book is reflected properly even if many of the characters have been completely made up. Plus, is there a director's cut? They don't even make it to their goal?! The credits roll at what appears to be the end of the second to last reel?!?!?!

I guess what makes me not give up on this character is that I really liked H R Haggard's She and the follow up written and taking place approx 20 years later, Ayesha: The Return of She. It's got the African adventure found in Quatermain stories, but where they excel is they are able to include an uncanny romance, a mad ageless queen, ancient gods and lost civilizations... For me, it's hard to go wrong with all those elements! haha

So now I'm about to start on H R Haggard's eventual monster rally story She and Allan. I just don't know that I can get into it as Allan Quatermain just is not Indiana Jones! I can see why this character could have struck chords with Victorian and Edwardian society but for me presently his adventures are leaving me flat.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Barrelhouse said:
In a word "no".

Actually, that's probably too harsh. None of the four or five versions out there can be considered great cinema but some of them are entertaining enough. I think I enjoyed the older ones the best. There is a version from the 1930's or early '40's that seemed pretty great when I saw it on Saturday afternoon TV when I was a kid. The Stewart Granger version from the 50's gets a fair amount of airplay on TV and its not bad. Nothing with Deborah Kerr could ever be too bad. The more recent versions left me pretty cold, especially the Golan-Globus 1980's version. *yucky*
"No" is not too harsh. A first-class action-adventure story heretofore has been diluted to force a love interest more significant than Good's affection for the young African woman. Which part of, "It's an action-adventure story," hasn't penetrated the closed cell foam between producers' ears?

TM

A-List Customer
The Stewart Granger version is probably the best, but it's really more like a National Geographic travel film. Kind of like Hatari. It's too bad that there's not a great version of this, or of She, also by Haggard.

Tony

mike

Call Me a Cab
I've recently watched the British 1937 version and I think it actually captures the spirit of the story & presents Quatermain & Co much more accurately! Just look past the singing, and the Brits have done Haggard just fine! The story is obviously jumbled and pushed into place to add romance between Anna Lee & John Loder, but I buy Cedric Hardwicke's Quatermain as an aged, worn, sexless yet colorful character much more so than the 1950's version... Plus, you've actually got the dynamic of Allan, Good & Curtis in the British film. Plus, Roland Young as John Good is exactly as I envisioned him! I just wish he had to remain with a half-shaven face and no pants on trying to pass himself off as a God longer! haha

Notice how I didn't mention the star of the show, Paul Robeson? I can look past it and appreciate all the other parts that do compliment the book nicely! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy