Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a name for this style jacket?

Warbaby

One Too Many
Is there a name for this style jacket? I've always called them collegiate or varsity jackets but I'm wondering if there's a more correct name.

GreenJacket11_front.jpg

jon z

One of the Regulars
I'd say you have it right. I know the more common variety with the wool body/leather sleeves combo which have the initial of the school or college sewn onto them are called Letterman jackets.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've always called them varsity or letterman jackets. But I've heard/seen them referred to as school, team, and club jackets as well.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
jon z said:
I'd say you have it right. I know the more common variety with the wool body/leather sleeves combo which have the initial of the school or college sewn onto them are called Letterman jackets.

In France we call them "Teddy" bacause of Teddy smith who was a famous maker of this jacket. Bye :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't know what I would call that, but to me varsity jacket means this:
varsityjacket1946.jpg

Wool body, leather sleeves. With all the colors, that jacket is reminiscent, but I think it is something else.

gyrobroyeur

Familiar Face
PoohBang said:
I'd say that's a baseball or hockey jacket and not a varsity jacket

My idea of varsity jacket or "teddy" is close from the pic. But I think you're right cause of the raglan sleeves. There is no raglan sleeves in the varsity jacket I talk about. If I remember well, eddy murphy wears one on "beverly hill's cop" with a football team logo on it, but with no raglan sleeves. So is there a difference betwen footbal, baseball, hockey, and varsity jacket?
Anyway, warbaby's pic have raglan sleeves, and patch pockets (slash pocket for varsity). This jacket stay a mistery for me...

dr greg

One Too Many
jockettes

Young people over here call them 'jock' jackets, as apparently there is some fashion sub-culture among teenagers to dress like American college kids of the past....they don't seem to have much money to back this up with though as I have a 'Harvard' jacket just like that on my stall and it's been there for a long time....

Warbaby

One Too Many
Thanks for all the opinions, guys - though I'm still no closer to a name than I was before. The reason I wanted to know if there was an official name for this style jacket is that I want to list it on eBay (it's way too small for me) and I need to know what to call it. Any suggestions?

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
Is there a name for this style jacket? I've always called them collegiate or varsity jackets but I'm wondering if there's a more correct name.

GreenJacket11_front.jpg

I think it may be a car club or motorcycle club-type bomber jacket. It does not resemble any of the letter jackets I've seen. I mean, there's no letter, for one. What' s the label look like ?

It's pretty unique. I like it.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
When doing ebay listings, you want to cover as much ground as possible with your title. Id use as many relevant words in it as possible to get as many people looking for that type of jacket that may not know the name of it as possible. 'Club baseball motorcycle car varsity jacket' or some such.

WalkingBoy

Familiar Face
To confuse things I've got a 'letterman' jacket, made in Toronto, Canada, from the late 40's or there abouts, made from Pony Hide. But there's no 'lettering', numbers, patching or insignia of any sort. Its button up front, just like the Aero version. So i'm confused when i see these jackets. My guess would be go back to the colour combnation on the elastics and pockets and do some detective work ..maybe a college colour, or team colour?
the sleeve shape is unusual though...maybe its English?
have heard them called 'jock' jackets too....in Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou