Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a passible hat out there for around $100?

Mr. John Smith

New in Town
Now don't hurt me fellas.

I've got two small kids, a mortgage, and a soulless harpy to support; so funds are always a bit tight. I am wanting to expand out from my one fedora, and start matching my wardrobe a bit more (I wear suits everyday, except Tues.). I am a bargain hunter at heart, but my luck with vintage hats and/or ebay, is abysmal.

So what do you recommend for a gent on a budget?

Dear Mr. Smith,

What's your hat size? If you're 7 1/8 or smaller, well, really nice vintage hats for less than a C are still readily enough available. But if you're larger (as most of us moderns are), the pickings are slimmer and the competition fiercer. Generally.
I learned this during the first session of my Old Hat Hunting 101 course.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I think you'll find searching these boards that Akubra is the brand to go for on a budget.

At Hatsdirect, there are several styles under $100, and with shipping it is only slightly more (115-120 after conversion to US dollars).

David Morgan also has many styles that are under $115 including shipping

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
There most definitely are! The Akubra Stylemaster is just such a hat, at about AU$110 ($96 US).

882.jpg

The Stylemaster is a great hat for folks who don't wear hats a lot. It has a bit of a taper and a slightly lower crown, which makes it a little more appealing for people not used to the tall straight-sided crowns of some fedoras. I also find that with the shape of my face, I need a little taper in the hat to get the right proportions.

Akubra is probably one of the best bargains going in a pure fur felt, too.

Daniel

Familiar Face
I also have "two small kids, a mortgage, and a soulless harpy to support," and the best bang-for-the-buck is Akubra, in my opinion. Slightly more than a C-note, but several levels above what you'll get from Stetson, et al.

Good luck!

Donato

One of the Regulars
I agree 100% with Akubra - a quality hat for the money. You might also try these two Australian web sites for your Akubra shopping as their prices are lower. www.australiangear.com and www.everythingaustralian.com.
Australiangear.com includes shipping and insurance with their prices. You can get the Akubra Bogart for just $91.00: (it also comes in grey)
DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0316.jpg

http://www.australiangear.com/product/bindex.phpproduct=menshatsuniquer&fromw=menshatsuniquer
The Stylemaster is also a great hat. I have one in "Acorn Fawn."

NonEntity

Suspended
Advice From A Picky SOB

Akubras are, far and away, the best hat values on the market today, and run around $100 or just north from the following online vendors:

davidmorgan.com

hatsdirect.com

outbackoutlet.com

walkabout.com/hat

australian-shop.ca/hats

australiangear.com

noggintops.com

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I have heard marvelous, wonderful things about Akubras virtually from the first time I googled "Fedora." However, my first real fedora purchase was this Dobbs:

dobbs_gray_fedora.jpg

It was the closest I could find to the beloved Stetson Whippet that I can't afford. It cost me $78.00 plus shipping and has held up well in the month-and-a-half since I bought it. (Be forewarned, however, this particular model is only available in black and caribou)

She may ultimately dissolve on me, who knows, but I plan to take good care of her and eventually supplement her with a brown fedora - perhaps an Akubra this time.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore