Is this a steer or a horse?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by mtrlr, Sep 10, 2019 at 4:28 AM.

1. mtrlr

mtrlr Familiar Face

Saw this picture of the Shackleton vest, the color and hide look amazing. Could anyone in the know tell whether this is a steer hide or a horse hide? I'm assuming this is a battered hide? btw, what is the weight of the battered steer hide and the battered horsehide?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Hide'n'seek likes this.
  2. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

It looks like a very nice hide, but as Denny says, "Only a DNA test will tell us for sure." Really no way to tell with certainty from a photograph.

rocketeer likes this.
  3. Hide'n'seek

Hide'n'seek One of the Regulars

This particular one is Battered Seal Horsehide ..........no DNA required.

Battered Horse is approx 2 1/2" - 3 oz ) 1 - 1.2mm and has a slightky firm hand when new but quickly breaks in and develops amazing Character, strong pull up.
    Battered steer is approx 2 1/2oz and is soft and supple from thye word go, take very little if any breaking in, it will however develop great character also but less dramatic pull up. We find it extremly suitable for the Shackleton as it is very balanced with the wool back, it is our default choice for the Shackleton.

JMax and mtrlr like this.
  4. mtrlr

mtrlr Familiar Face

@Hide'n'seek Thank you very much for the information. That one looks amazing. I'm collecting information for my next utility jacket, and don't want a very heavy one.

5. Peacoat

Peacoat I'll Lock Up

Hide'n'seek is Denny; he is the one who made the vest, and a fine looking vest it is.

mtrlr and Benny Holiday like this.
  6. mtrlr

mtrlr Familiar Face

Nice! Really great vest. Someday, I'll need to grab one of these. Currently in the process of ordering two jackets. So the vest will have to wait a bit :)