Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is This A WWII Officers Hat or Post War?

fudge brownie said:
The gold mohair band and darker colored visor are confusing me. World War II?

If the color in the picture is right, it looks like a '50s or '60s vintage Colonel's or General Officer's visor cap that is still currently worn today. The present-day green Army service uniform was introduced in 1957 replacing the WWII era "pinks and greens."

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is Post-WWII U.S. Army. There were no "scrambled eggs" in WWII (except for MacArthur's Philippines made service cap). Of course Gen. Dreedle wore one in 'Catch 22', but of course that was Hollywood.

Mr brother Jerry was career Army and had a couple of these laying around the house. He retired as a Major

-dixon cannon

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's difficult to tell from the colours on screen but it looks like the hat
could be a '57+ vintage, due to the band colour and the top/cover is a pre-'57
vintage OD one, maybe even not an officer grade one.
Like someone's trying to WW2-ify a cap.

B
T

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Having owned quite a few of these hats, and several ww2 officers hats, if you were to put the two together side by side, besides the differences and color and scrambled eggs as already mentioned there is also a noticeable difference in shape and how it is made.

jaymag_87

New in Town
Post WWII

As an Army Brat and a veteran, I can tell you that hat is a post-WWII to pre-2005 Field Grade Officer's Service Cap. It looks just like my Dad's, only the braids are cleaner. Field Grade Officers are Majors, Lieutenant-Colonels and Colonels. The Service Cap for Company Grade Officers (Lieutenants and Captains) had a "blank" visor and General Officers Service Caps had the Oak Leaf Visor Braids ("Scrambled Eggs") and Oak Leaf braiding around the band above the strap (if memory serves me). The Army Regulation (AR 670-1) that governs wear of the Uniform, dated 3 February 2005, does not include the Service Cap for wear with the Class "A" or Dress Greens. It does include it for wear with Dress Blues and Army Whites.

The Army is currently undergoing a change that will eliminate the Dress Greens, which will be replaced by the Dress Blues, as the Class "A" uniform. It will also eliminate the Dress Whites, but not the White Mess Uniform.

It's all complicated and a recipe for Tired Head.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy