Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this suit to bold for a business suit?

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Hi there! Long time no posting.
I have a question for you experts. Would this suit be too bold or loud for a business suit? Somebody I know who also likes classic fashion said he thinks the pinstripes are a bit too pronounced and it would be more fitting for a mafiosi or a pimp than a businessman from the 1940s.
What do you think? Its for theatrical reasons and the character is a very rich and respectable businessman in his 30s and it is set in the 1940s. Thanks.

suit1r.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The pinstripes aren't too bad, but the cut of the suit says more '80s to me than '40s. Lapels look too narrow, as is the button spacing. But if its for theatrical purposes, I doubt anyone will notice that.

Feraud

Bartender
retrofashion said:
Somebody I know who also likes classic fashion said he thinks the pinstripes are a bit too pronounced and it would be more fitting for a mafiosi or a pimp than a businessman from the 1940s.
Your friend is wrong. That suit is absolutely fine for a businessman from the 40s.
The tie is pretty bad. ;)

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I know this is definitely not an original 1940s suit, but hey, at least it buttons on the last four which is hard enough to find in newer suits where most DB suits button the last two only. I think that helps to make up the retro look. As you mentioned Dinerman, for theater it should be fine I guess.
So its fine for a business suit? Great to hear. Just out of curiosity, what would be a mafiosi and a pimp suit in the 1940s?
Feraud, what type of tie would you recommend and what color? By the way, the suit is navy rather than black really.

Feraud

Bartender
This might be a matter of semantics but I would say a gangster or pimp would dress as well if not a bit flashier than your 40s businessman. That should not mean a pinstripe suit is too flashy for business wear. Your friend is possibly operating under common sterotypical views regarding how people dress back in the day. A honest enough mistake..
This thread is full of images showing clothing to get a feel for the era.

About the tie.. my comments are not really relevant for a theatrical production but I find modern ties way too bulky creating this huge, ugly knot. I would rip the guts out of that thing before wearing it on stage. A smaller knot will look much better.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Yeah, that was my friends point, that he thought this suit is too flashy for a businessman because the stripes are too thick or pronounced saying pimps and mafiosi were the ones who normally wore flashy suits and ties while businessmen would have tended to dress more sober. It wasn't the stripes but that he found them too thick and pronounced. He told me a suit with thinner stripes would be better.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
The thing is we are sort of limited to what the costume department already have. So besides fedoras of many styles like short and medium brims, thin and thick ribbons in light, medium and dark gay and also brown, black, olive and fawn, although I wouldn't think those colors would go well, these 2 models are all they have. I have a charcoal federation myself as well.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
The pinstripes aren't too bad, but the cut of the suit says more '80s to me than '40s. Lapels look too narrow, as is the button spacing. But if its for theatrical purposes, I doubt anyone will notice that.

Just came across this posted on the forums:

Kirk & Spock, "A Piece Of The Action"

piece1.jpg

Narrow lapels and button spacing.

Of course is Star Trek and I have no idea if they were real vintage suits, which I somewhat doubt, or were custom made but inspired by real era suits or were just 1960s interpretations of what the era suits would look like.

Mulholland Falls
mulholland_falls.jpg

The lapels here also don't look much wider if at all.

retrofashion said:
The thing is we are sort of limited to what the costume department already have. So besides fedoras of many styles like short and medium brims, thin and thick ribbons in light, medium and dark gay and also brown, black, olive and fawn, although I wouldn't think those colors would go well, these 2 models are all they have. I have a charcoal federation myself as well.

hahaha.

Suit should be fine though.

kyboots

Practically Family
Business Suit or Zoot of the 40's

I think the suit will pass as no one will know the difference. I like the suit, but the tie is awful I agree! The suit cut is too tight for the 40's. It seems to have more of an semi athletic cut for a six button , whereas the 40's were blousy, and loose Just flat awul baggy! The tie looks like 1980's Brooks Brothers. I thought all men wore gray hats in the 40's? John

Chainsaw

Suspended
Re-post the picture in black in white maybe. Or make sure there's only colour blind people in the audience.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
kyboots said:
I think the suit will pass as no one will know the difference. I like the suit, but the tie is awful I agree! The suit cut is too tight for the 40's. It seems to have more of an semi athletic cut for a six button , whereas the 40's were blousy, and loose Just flat awul baggy! The tie looks like 1980's Brooks Brothers. I thought all men wore gray hats in the 40's? John

The 40s went through a lot of change in fashion. Post war and late 40s will have a difference from early 40s or 1940 itself. I tend to associate the baggy stuff you mention with late 40s. But I don't think it was ever baggy as zoots.

By the way, the tie is not to be considered, only the suit. The tie has yet to be chosen.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Chainsaw said:
Re-post the picture in black in white maybe. Or make sure there's only colour blind people in the audience.

I take the joke is because of the tie color?

As I said the tie is not to be taken in consideration, just the suit. The tie has not yet been chosen, so feel free to suggest colors and patterns.
The pocket square, if there will be one, will definitely not be red either. Probably white, IF there is one.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
I find modern ties way too bulky creating this huge, ugly knot. I would rip the guts out of that thing before wearing it on stage. A smaller knot will look much better.
Employing a four-in-hand knot (rather than a Windsor knot like the red tie above) will produce a relatively small knot on most modern ties, though tie shape and interlining can be a factor as well. Actually, I think that red tie with a F-I-H knot paired with a point collar shirt would look pretty good with the gray stripe suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24