Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is vintage clothing dangerous? (specifically polyester/synthetic fibers)?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I am considering buying a vintage 1970s era Polyester shirt. I've never bought any vintage clothes outside of a hat before.

My question is, do any of these fabrics in shirts and such degrade over time, potentially releasing potentially harmful (short or long term healthwise) chemicals? For example, if I bough this Polyester shirt, which seems to be in great condition, could it have degraded naturally with time to release chemicals that might, from use, cause cancer or something else? Not just with polyester, but with any old shirts (synthetic or natural fibers)?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I doubt there's any real issue about wearing synthetic fibres, it take a bit more than human sweat to set polyester to rot, but I'm not sure why anyone would want a shirt that was so uncomfortable. While I can appreciate that the design might be desirable, it's cotton, linen and wools that are by far the most comfortable against skin.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Think I was made to wear a polyester shirt at school in the 70's.....

zebedee

One Too Many
Buying it is probably healthier than worrying about its negligible (i.e. zero) chance of doing you any damage.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The only real health risks from a polyester shirt are for the enviroment, in that, as with fleeces, they release small particles of plastic into the water system when washed.
Polyester & nylon are particularly degraded by UV's which is less of a problem with clothing, but everything degrades with time. I wouldn't worry about any health risks for yourself with the shirt, everything you eat, drink & breathe is contaminated by something or other that's going to kill you, so a vintage shirt is the least of your worries.............I would be more concerned about wanting a polyester shirt in the first place. :rolleyes:

tropicalbob

When I lived in Brooklyn the girls there seemed to have discovered a hair-dye color that had never been seen before (or since) and that was completely unknown in nature. It was a kind of purplish-orange sulfate, and when you saw them in direct sunlight their heads seemed to be emitting dangerous gamma rays.

Peacoat

Bartender
The only real health risks from a polyester shirt are for the enviroment, in that, as with fleeces, they release small particles of plastic into the water system when washed.
Polyester & nylon are particularly degraded by UV's which is less of a problem with clothing, but everything degrades with time. I wouldn't worry about any health risks for yourself with the shirt, everything you eat, drink & breathe is contaminated by something or other that's going to kill you, so a vintage shirt is the least of your worries.............I would be more concerned about wanting a polyester shirt in the first place. :rolleyes:
OK, now that is funny!

feltfan

All vintage clothing presents a health risk. Leave it to the experts. Leather jackets are carcinogenic- aniline dyes
have been linked to bladder cancer. Older hats were made with mercury, for heaven's sake. Vintage wrist watches
contain radium. Do you have any idea the hazardous chemicals used in Sanfordizing and the Cravanette Process?

Don't take the risk. Leave vintage leather jackets, vintage hats, and wrist watches to those of us who know
how to handle them safely.

sweetfights

All vintage clothing presents a health risk. Leave it to the experts. Leather jackets are carcinogenic- aniline dyes
have been linked to bladder cancer. Older hats were made with mercury, for heaven's sake. Vintage wrist watches
contain radium. Do you have any idea the hazardous chemicals used in Sanfordizing and the Cravanette Process?

Don't take the risk. Leave vintage leather jackets, vintage hats, and wrist watches to those of us who know
Too FUNNY! LOL

sweetfights

I grew up in the 70's. After the disco era I absolutely hated polyester shirts and 3/4 leather jackets.
Now strangely, I love the fit of a button up polyester shirt (solid colors only) but still hate the 3/4 leather.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family

Can't tell if serious...?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
polyester tend to get smelly after several wear and hard to get the smell out, can't imagine a vintage one... probably has collected odor for decades, hazardous to open the package indoor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR