Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is your fedora tipped?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I have a book on grooming that was published during WWII that says something like "a man's hat should always have a slight tilt to one side. It should never sit straight on his head like a lid on a jar." Whatever works for you I say. Some of mine don't fit right tilted although when I do tilt, I tilt the Northern California way...to the left!;)

metropd

One Too Many
In my opinion men with fuller faces, squarer jaw bones, or larger foreheads look better with it flat on their head or with very little tilt where men with narrower faces can pull of quite rakish angles.

fatwoul

Practically Family
I think another reason I am reluctant to tilt my hat, besides the fact that I'm just not a jaunty person, is that these days it could mean something, depending which way you tilt it. You know, like which ear you have earrings, and what pictures you get tattooed.

I'd hate to end up in an awkward situation just because someone made an assumption about me based on my hat angle.

kbadr

Familiar Face
I tilt my hat to the right, because I've seen Bogart do it. If anyone wants to make any assumptions about me based on that it should either be that a) I know how to dress or b) I respect Bogart's style.

I've been getting quite a few compliments on my off-the-rack Beaver hat lately. One man stopped me on the plane today and said "That's a nice hat! Is it beaver?" Make a statement, boys! Let's show the world how to dress!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I certainly wear my fedoras tipped. Sometimes I put them on dead center straight, but they end up tipped.

Most women who wear fedoras seem to have them at an angle, sometimes very much so.

I tip mine to the left.

karol

fatwoul

Practically Family
Sefton said:
I've never heard that before...what does the left or right tilt signal? Is this something new? An English only thing or are you pulling our (cuffed and pleated) collective legs?[huh]

No I'm not saying it does mean something, I'm saying it could. I have no idea. And since I don't really suit the jaunty thing anyway, I see little reason to try it, only to decide I like it, and then twenty years down the line discover I've been unwittingly announcing myself as possessing a particular "social preference". I have no issue with those that do, you understand, but I'd like to avoid any false advertising in such matters. lol

metropd

One Too Many
fatwoul said:
No I'm not saying it does mean something, I'm saying it could. I have no idea. And since I don't really suit the jaunty thing anyway, I see little reason to try it, only to decide I like it, and then twenty years down the line discover I've been unwittingly announcing myself as possessing a particular "social preference". I have no issue with those that do, you understand, but I'd like to avoid any false advertising in such matters. lol

That thinking is way overboard......If Tim Gunn wore a fedora tipped to the left to a Pet Shop Boys concert while driving in a Jetta eating strawberry pancakes with the Price of Whales and you wore the same fedora to the left walking down Castro, that same fedora with the same tilt would not be interpreted as "false advertising". Just the rest would.lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
metropd said:
That thinking is way overboard...

I think whether or not my thinking was overboard is relative, since we are all hanging out on a forum dedicated to the earth-shatteringly, devastatingly important issue of...hats. lol

metropd

One Too Many
fatwoul said:
I think whether or not my thinking was overboard is relative, since we are all hanging out on a forum dedicated to the earth-shatteringly, devastatingly important issue of...hats. lol

If hats can be one of the variables that motivates me and other people to have a productive impact on society and leads us to fulfilling prosperous lives than they are essentially an earth-shatteringly, devastatingly important issue.;) :)

fatwoul

Practically Family
I'm not sure how a hat can affect one's life like that, unless you mean someone on the street with a flute and an upturned cap full of change. Their hat probably affects their lives a great deal. :D

And yes, that is back on topic, because it is a hat that is tipped...

...a full 180 degrees. :D :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart