Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It don't mean a thing

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An absolute favourite of mine

The Nicholas Brothers, simply astounding to watch. Bucket loads of talent in one super-dynamic duo. I've already viewed this clip three times over since you posted it Dr Greg!

Salv

One Too Many
I don't know how many times I've watched Stormy Weather, but that sequence never fails to amaze me. You have to wonder if the people who claim that Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly were Hollywoods greatest dancers have ever seen the Nicholas Brothers.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Those are all great! Thanks for the heads up! That bass player of Reg Kehoe's is the best. Early headbanger! You think he eventually died of a cerebral hemorrhage?

YouTube is almost as bad as Wikipedia, the way it keeps tempting you with interesting links. "Oh, you liked that? Here's a dozen more similar videos!" Thanks, YouTube! Sleep is overrated anyway!

Wild Root

Gone Home
dr greg said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVahh65i2LQ&search=kalamazoo
I still like the version from Sun Valley Serenade but this is ace. Who sang that, can't remember his name. Roger Eberle?

Who sang what song? Kalamazoo? It was sang by Tex Beneke with the Modernaires. The other male vocalist in the Miller band was Ray Eberle.

The Nicolas Brothers are tops! They are amazing! I've never seen that clip from "Stormy Weather" that tops the things they did in the two Miller movies... well, the fact that they run up a pillar, flip and land in the splits in "Orchestra Wives" is really something too!!! I got to meet Fayard and we became friends... I'd see him out at dances and I'd always go over and talk with him about his movies and he was very impressed I knew who he was and the clips he was in... I have a photo of me and him some where... I'll have to dig it out. I blieve he died this year or late last... can't recall but, I know I miss him!

Those are great clips!!! The first one I just about fell out of my chair! I was laughing so hard! It's funny and just killer wicked cool at the same time!!! All the Moma's on the Marimbas weren't bad either!!!;)

Fun stuff!!! YouTube is so cool! I just put up a classic Goofy cartoon on myspace... here's a link for those who miss the golden years of Disney.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=32166157

Just hit pause on the song player and scroll down to the clip... it's funny!

=WR=

HistWardrobe

Vendor
I want to grow old like Mrs. Potter

OMG, YouTube is a wonderful site - and a great time waster:D Clicked on the link, chuckled at the bass player and then went surfin'

Watched ALL the banned 1930s-40s cartoon clips that I remember from my 1950s childhood. (Egad, I'd forgotten how racist some of these were!) and the wonderful 1929 Disney cartoon "Haunted House" that I remember loving as a child. Apparently it got banned because it gave children nightmares. But it gave me COOL nightmares!

I then started looking for movie clips.

LOVE this one from "The Gang's All Here", 1943 Fox war bonds propaganda pic / feel-good musical that I'd never even heard of. Choreographed by Busby Berkley, with one heck of a cast, it's now on the must-see list.

Check out Charlotte Greenwood's dance number as the society matron Mrs. Potter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJQksW2vGIA&search=busby berkley

That's who I wanna be when I grow up. What a hoot!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
just spent two hours on YouTube. I swear half that must have been watching Reg Kehoe. Or rather watching the Marimba Queens.

This is why I don't spend so much time on the Lounge anymore, somehow a visit here always seems to stop me from getting any work done.

The cat on the bass is Frank DeNunzio. I believe he only died last year and was playing till almost the end. That slap bass solo is so good that for once words fail me.

Now Check out THIS litle beauty: Gene Krupa's DrumBoogie with Barbara Stanwyck on vocals.....BTW, wasn't there a thread going on recently in which people were moaning that modern women don't wear enough clothes? Tell that to Barbara!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdPQsEhhoi8&search=1940s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW