Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A Panizza creation, one of those hats to remember
panizza-royal-2-jpg.270144
Panizza had, especially in the seventies, a production of discordant quality. It was the end of a golden age of Italian headwear and the hatters of Lago Maggiore paid for their being traditional with a fairly quick end.
panizza-royal-3-jpg.270145

Panizza Royal, size 59. The felt is magnificent and the color too as the finish of the hat
panizza-royal-5-jpg.270146

The color is called "Cloro" and it is simply malleable with hands
panizza-royal-8-jpg.270147

These are the measures: finished brim with two seams at 5.5 cm. open crown 14 cm. contrasting ribbon 4 cm.
panizza-royal-6-jpg.270148

The Panizza Royal arrived in excellenti conditions until today with a very interesting linear in blue
panizza-royal-interno-totale-jpg.270149

One perfect example of Italian hats of the Sixties-Seventies in a color very rare in Panizza production

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Definitely a Panizza to remember, Daniele. It has a great overall look, but especially the colour and bow treatment standout. Love it.

Panizza had, especially in the seventies, a production of discordant quality. It was the end of a golden age of Italian headwear and the hatters of Lago Maggiore paid for their being traditional with a fairly quick end.

Panizza Royal, size 59. The felt is magnificent and the color too as the finish of the hat

These are the measures: finished brim with two seams at 5.5 cm. open crown 14 cm. contrasting ribbon 4 cm.

The Panizza Royal arrived in excellenti conditions until today with a very interesting linear in blue

One perfect example of Italian hats of the Sixties-Seventies in a color very rare in Panizza production

Daniele, It's a beauty. Really like the color combos. Great to see your latest finds!

Panizza is the least consistent in its quality of the Italian makers. If they got it right, they were fabulous, but sometimes it just isn't there. This one they got right.
Panizza in the colour Lampo (lightning). Size 56 with the bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10,5 cm at the center dent. Weighs 105 grams with the felt being thin and dense. Lovely hand to the felt, almost like a chamois but not quite. The brim binding ribbon is extremely narrow with just about 2mm showing on the top and on the bottom.
Kreymborg was a menswear retail chain. It disappeared in 2000 after being around since 1891.

panizza-lampo_01-jpg.290940
panizza-lampo_02-jpg.290941
panizza-lampo_03-jpg.290942
panizza-lampo_04-jpg.290943
panizza-lampo_05-jpg.290944
panizza-lampo_07-jpg.290945
panizza-lampo_08-jpg.290946
panizza-lampo_11-jpg.290948
panizza-lampo_12-jpg.290949
panizza-lampo_09-jpg.290950

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
After a gem it is the turn of a hat that has gone through the life of its owner, remaining marked by the years.
albertini-barbisio-1-jpg.300260

Albertini - Barbisio size 57 or 5 in the US.
albertini-barbisio-2-jpg.300261

The hat has a Barbisio paper label and an Albertini lining, so it was assembled in the period of passage of the Barbsio stock in the Panizza hat factory that put this hat on the market.
albertini-barbisio-3-jpg.300262

The measures are those of a hat from the eighties: the raw brim almost touches five centimeters, they are 4.8 cm., the crown is consistent at 11 cm. at the lowest point and the ribbon is 4cm.
albertini-barbisio-5-jpg.300264
The color of the felt is written on the label, but it is impossible to see it, I think it is "Nocciola"
albertini-barbisio-interno-totale-jpg.300265

The hat has some stains on the lining and the felt needs to be cleaned.

I really like the combination of colors, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the barbisio color combination
albertini-barbisio-4-jpg.300268

Needless to say, like the hats put on display yesterday, this one and the bowler hat by G.B borsalino are on sale.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I have to show you the younger brother, in size, of some hats produced by "Cappellificio Cervo" under the name Bantam that I have in my collection.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-3-jpg.305247

The hat is new and from its appearance it has never been shaped.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-4-jpg.305248
Super Bantam "Mixed Loden" size 57 or a 7 in the US, but has shrunk over time.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-1-jpg.305249
The measures are as follows: the brim are at 6 cm. the ribbon at 4.5cm and the open crown is at 12.5cm.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-interno-jpg.305250

The felt is a mixture of fur and wool to achieve the effect you see in the photos.

The paper label tells us that: the color of the felt is "Misto cenere" the felt is "Loden" and the model is 3663.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-6-jpg.305252

Probably produced in the Sixties for a hat shop in Southern Italy, it is one of the rarities that I would have liked to have in my size. I already have it, don't be greedy :rolleyes:
cervo-loden-m-cenere-2-jpg.305253

This is a wonderful example of the Cappellificio Cervo high craftmanship

I have to show you the younger brother, in size, of some hats produced by "Cappellificio Cervo" under the name Bantam that I have in my collection.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-3-jpg.305247

The hat is new and from its appearance it has never been shaped.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-4-jpg.305248
Super Bantam "Mixed Loden" size 57 or a 7 in the US, but has shrunk over time.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-1-jpg.305249
The measures are as follows: the brim are at 6 cm. the ribbon at 4.5cm and the open crown is at 12.5cm.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-interno-jpg.305250

The felt is a mixture of fur and wool to achieve the effect you see in the photos.

The paper label tells us that: the color of the felt is "Misto cenere" the felt is "Loden" and the model is 3663.
cervo-loden-m-cenere-6-jpg.305252

Probably produced in the Sixties for a hat shop in Southern Italy, it is one of the rarities that I would have liked to have in my size. I already have it, don't be greedy :rolleyes:
cervo-loden-m-cenere-2-jpg.305253

This is a wonderful example of the Cappellificio Cervo high craftmanship
Daniele, Super to see Cappellificio Cervo "Super Bantam"! Fantastic Specialty finish and felt color. The wide black Band creates a visual pleasing contrast. Also like the use of a classic Bow Design. Superb!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele, Super to see Cappellificio Cervo "Super Bantam"! Fantastic Specialty finish and felt color. The wide black Band creates a visual pleasing contrast. Also like the use of a classic Bow Design. Superb!
Thanks Steve. The rare Cappellifio Cervo made hats I find on the market are almost always little gems.
I think it goes without saying that I already have a favorites list of your latest magnificent finds:)

A lucky find this one. A Panizza was part of the latest Dutch-Italian hat-exchange, but the exchange was lopsided, because there was one missing. This one came up.
Panizza Super (M4 is apparently the model) in a size 60. Heathered felt in a grey/sand colour and an underwelted brim at 5,5cm and the crown 12cm at the center dent. Yes, the ribbon is awful even though it's called "fantasia".

panizza fantasia_01.jpg
panizza fantasia_02.jpg
panizza fantasia_03.jpg
panizza fantasia_04.jpg
panizza fantasia_05.jpg
panizza fantasia_06.jpg
panizza fantasia_07.jpg
panizza fantasia_08.jpg
panizza fantasia_09.jpg
panizza fantasia_10.jpg

Cambiaghi fedora in woolfelt. Size 56 with the brim at 6cm and the imposing crown at 11 cm at the center dent. The brim is somewhat stiffer than the crown and shapes well (the crown needed a bit more persuasion). The Italian hatters from Monza could work wonders in wool and this is one of those survivor hats. The workmanship on the sweatband is wonderful to see. These woolfelts are dustmagnets though; every bit of fluff can be seen on those black felts...

cambiaghi-nero_01-jpg.306311
cambiaghi-nero_02-jpg.306312
cambiaghi-nero_03-jpg.306313
cambiaghi-nero_04-jpg.306314
cambiaghi-nero_06-jpg.306315
cambiaghi-nero_07-jpg.306316
cambiaghi-nero_08-jpg.306317
cambiaghi-nero_09-jpg.306318
cambiaghi-nero_10-jpg.306319
cambiaghi-nero_11-jpg.306320

Ursus in ossido colour. Likely made by Borsalino to corner the market and possibly dodge trading restrictions. This hat needs some love to be restored to full glory and it deserves that. Lovely felt and nice proportions. The original liner more or less fell apart under my hands, so I put in a temporary one. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 9,5cm at the center dent give this hat a sleek looking appearance.

ursus_01-jpg.306321
ursus_02-jpg.306322
ursus_03-jpg.306323
ursus_04-jpg.306324
ursus_05-jpg.306325
ursus_06-jpg.306326
ursus_07-jpg.306327
ursus_08-jpg.306328
ursus_09-jpg.306329
ursus_10-jpg.306330

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This hat is a product of a Milan hatter still active in tailoring hats, it is still in the place where this hat was made. http://www.cappelleriacabella.it/
cabella-1-jpg.307132

Cabella - Milano size 58cm, with a real opening of 20x16.2cm which makes it an almost perfect size, slightly narrow.
cabella-2-jpg.307133

It is very interesting the felt with long nap fur with which it was made, super malleable and a burnt brown color of great effect.
cabella-4-jpg.307134

I have already seen a similar felt on some hats of the Guerra 1855 hat factory.
cabella-5-jpg.307135

It's not an old hat I think it was made in the seventies. The hat is in excellent conditions
cabella-interno-jpg.307136

Here is also the paper label that shows the size, color and model in an Italian that is indecipherable to me. It could be "Lontra" the quality of felt and "Qalifor" the model.
cabella-etichetta-carta-jpg.307137

These are the measurements of this beauty: raw brim at 6.5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm, the crown at its lowest point is 10.5 cm. It is the first hat I have found on the market made by Cabella in many years.
cabella-7-jpg.307138

It is not my size, so if anyone is interested...

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Interesting hat, Daniele!
You're right with the handwritten Quality "Lontra",
although I read "Loutres" first, which is basically the same thing...
But I'm quite sure, the model name sais "(Q)California" ("ia" under the size).

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Interesting hat, Daniele!
You're right with the handwritten Quality "Lontra",
although I read "Loutres" first, which is basically the same thing...
But I'm quite sure, the model name sais "(Q)California" ("ia" under the size).
I agree with you Matthias. Thanks!
"Lontres" is the right handwritten, that is Lontra in Italian
"California" is complete, as you stated, under the size
The hat is well done and with interesting features.

This hat is a product of a Milan hatter still active in tailoring hats, it is still in the place where this hat was made. http://www.cappelleriacabella.it/
cabella-1-jpg.307132

Cabella - Milano size 58cm, with a real opening of 20x16.2cm which makes it an almost perfect size, slightly narrow.
cabella-2-jpg.307133

It is very interesting the felt with long nap fur with which it was made, super malleable and a burnt brown color of great effect.
cabella-4-jpg.307134

I have already seen a similar felt on some hats of the Guerra 1855 hat factory.
cabella-5-jpg.307135

It's not an old hat I think it was made in the seventies. The hat is in excellent conditions
cabella-interno-jpg.307136

Here is also the paper label that shows the size, color and model in an Italian that is indecipherable to me. It could be "Lontra" the quality of felt and "Qalifor" the model.
cabella-etichetta-carta-jpg.307137

These are the measurements of this beauty: raw brim at 6.5 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm, the crown at its lowest point is 10.5 cm. It is the first hat I have found on the market made by Cabella in many years.
cabella-7-jpg.307138

It is not my size, so if anyone is interested...
Very nice find! Interesting that it is a lontra. We very rarely see those.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Every now and then I like some hats more than others and so I try hard to get them, despite the fact that I have greatly reduced purchases.
This weekend I will introduce some of them.
vanzina-mogano-5-jpg.336449

Vanzina - Pavia - Qualità Extra. The size is 59 or 7 3/8 US
vanzina-mogano-1_modificato-1-jpg.336450

What attracted me was the color and finish of the felt and the heathered felt
vanzina-mogano-3-jpg.336451

The color is "Mogano" and the finish is in a short, quite shaggy, pile.

These are the measures: brim at 5.5 centimeters; low point crown 11cm. and the ribbon is high 3.5 cm.
The hat is unlined with only the brand and type in a dedicated patch, you can see even better the back of the felt finish
vanzina-mogano-interno-totale-jpg.336453

The texture is massive and shapes well with a minimum of steam. The form and measures are those of the Italian hats of the sixties.
vanzina-mogano-4-jpg.336454

Now comes the question about the Vanzina production: was it done, as it would seem before 1956, the year of the merger with Borsalino or after? One of the little mysteries of Italian headwear

Every now and then I like some hats more than others and so I try hard to get them, despite the fact that I have greatly reduced purchases.
This weekend I will introduce some of them.
vanzina-mogano-5-jpg.336449

Vanzina - Pavia - Qualità Extra. The size is 59 or 7 3/8 US
vanzina-mogano-1_modificato-1-jpg.336450

What attracted me was the color and finish of the felt and the heathered felt
vanzina-mogano-3-jpg.336451

The color is "Mogano" and the finish is in a short, quite shaggy, pile.

These are the measures: brim at 5.5 centimeters; low point crown 11cm. and the ribbon is high 3.5 cm.
The hat is unlined with only the brand and type in a dedicated patch, you can see even better the back of the felt finish
vanzina-mogano-interno-totale-jpg.336453

The texture is massive and shapes well with a minimum of steam. The form and measures are those of the Italian hats of the sixties.
vanzina-mogano-4-jpg.336454

Now comes the question about the Vanzina production: was it done, as it would seem before 1956, the year of the merger with Borsalino or after? One of the little mysteries of Italian headwear
Very nice find, Daniele. Lovely heather felt in a nice colour.

Made a trip to Haarlem yesterday to one of the vintage shops over there. It paid off, sort of. I found this one.
Vezzani Vulpes velour hat in black. Size 55 with the double stitched overwelt brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. The quality is called "talpa" (meaning mole) which is a more common name for more short haired velour hats.
It fit me close enough and I haven't seen a hat by this maker before.
Interesting is that the velour on this one has been made with a clockwise nap.
The ribbon that can be seen on these pics is not original and is the cause of the stitches that can be seen around the sweatband. I removed it after I took the pics. Still thinking about which new one to put on. Vezzani was, as far as I can gather, a maker from the Monza, an area was mostly known for its woolfelt hats. Weighs 109 grams; lightweight for a velour.

vezzani_01.jpg
vezzani_02.jpg
vezzani_03.jpg
vezzani_04.jpg
vezzani_05.jpg
vezzani_07.jpg
vezzani_08.jpg
vezzani_09.jpg
vezzani_11.jpg
vezzani_12.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics