Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Tanaro backbow fedora in light grey. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Medium tier hat and most likely, judging by the size label, it was made by Cervo. Weighs a 104 grams.

tanaro_1.jpg

tanaro_2.jpg

tanaro_3.jpg

tanaro_4.jpg

tanaro_5.jpg

tanaro_6.jpg

tanaro_7.jpg

tanaro_8.jpg

tanaro_9.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is a chapter in Italian headwear that I have never explored due to a lack of finds.
I found two hats made by a duo of active Milan hatters, as per labels found in hats in the late 1940s.
Nero forte Milano etichetta carta.jpg
I tried to track down some other news, but to no avail.
Nero forte Milano A.jpg

The production of hats in Italy was exterminated, so much so that it was an important voice of the GDP until the sixties and the production houses, immense, large and medium-sized, were many, leaving very little space for individual hatters.
Nero forte Milano A2.jpg
The duo had as the heading of their company Pagani & Messaggi, located in via Ubaldo Visconti di Modrone 4 - Milan.
Nero forte Milano A4.jpg
The hat I am presenting to you is the oldest with date.
Nero forte Milano AB3.jpg
It is in "almost shimmering" black felt so I believe it is inside the wool
Nero forte Milano particolare Areon.jpg
The hat is beautifully finished and has a sweatband front suitable for air, it is called "Areon" and has a series of "Art Nouveau" motifs embossed around the holes.
Nero forte Milano interno totale.jpg
The lining is in white silk with the logo of the hatters in the center
Nero forte Milano A6.jpg
The size is a full 60cm so a 7 1/2 in US and the materials used are top notch.
Nero forte Milano AB.jpg

These are the dimensions of the "Nero Forte" felt hat. The brims are 6cm and the ribbon is 4cm, the full crown opening is 15.5cm.
So, with a bit of luck, I opened a chapter in the Italian hat that I was missing, tomorrow I will complete it.

This is a chapter in Italian headwear that I have never explored due to a lack of finds.
I found two hats made by a duo of active Milan hatters, as per labels found in hats in the late 1940s.
Nero forte Milano etichetta carta.jpg
I tried to track down some other news, but to no avail.
Nero forte Milano A.jpg

The production of hats in Italy was exterminated, so much so that it was an important voice of the GDP until the sixties and the production houses, immense, large and medium-sized, were many, leaving very little space for individual hatters.
Nero forte Milano A2.jpg
The duo had as the heading of their company Pagani & Messaggi, located in via Ubaldo Visconti di Modrone 4 - Milan.
Nero forte Milano A4.jpg
The hat I am presenting to you is the oldest with date.
Nero forte Milano AB3.jpg
It is in "almost shimmering" black felt so I believe it is inside the wool
Nero forte Milano particolare Areon.jpg
The hat is beautifully finished and has a sweatband front suitable for air, it is called "Areon" and has a series of "Art Nouveau" motifs embossed around the holes.
Nero forte Milano interno totale.jpg
The lining is in white silk with the logo of the hatters in the center
Nero forte Milano A6.jpg
The size is a full 60cm so a 7 1/2 in US and the materials used are top notch.
Nero forte Milano AB.jpg

These are the dimensions of the "Nero Forte" felt hat. The brims are 6cm and the ribbon is 4cm, the full crown opening is 15.5cm.
So, with a bit of luck, I opened a chapter in the Italian hat that I was missing, tomorrow I will complete it.
Daniele, Super finds! Great to see this new found company. I look forward to seeing more.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Second chapter dedicated to unknown Italian hatters.
Elefante Milano etichetta carta.jpg
Its twin was born a year earlier at the end of 1949, this sees the light at the end of 1950 in Milan this same day
Elefante Milano B.jpg

It is the work of the Pagani & Messaggi hatters in Milan
Elefante Milano D.jpg
Certainly this has been more used than the one shown last week in black felt
Elefante Milano G.jpg
You can tell by some signs of wear on the lining and some parts of the felt, but they arrived in great shape after more than seventy years. The differences between the two hats are minimal
Elefante Milano E.jpg

The felt in this one is thicker and slightly less malleable than the other.
Elefante Milano1a.jpg
The color is a burnt brown with same color ribbon and bow always frayed. The proportions are almost the same: the raw brim is 6cm, the ribbon is 3cm and the open crown is 14cm.
Elefante Milano particolare marocchino.jpg
The finishes are excellent and the Moroccan has the same front air intake with Art Nouveau themes adorning the series of holes. Checked silk lining
Elefante Milano interno totale.jpg
I sincerely hope to continue this chapter of Italian hat makers outside the big hat industries of the peninsula
Elefante Milano C.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Brent, here others hat produced by "La Famigliare" Tuscan hatters
It too is part of the lucky find a couple of weeks ago that shed new light on Italian hat production.
lafamigliare-nero-1-jpg.364351

About ten days ago we saw its older brother in brown velour.
"La Famigliare" size 57 cm. or 7 for the United States of America.
lafamigliare-nero-interno-totale-jpg.364353

This time the velvet is black, of the same consistency as his brother. The shape and finishes are the same, here we have some more information regarding the marketing of the hat produced by "La Famigliare"
Famigliare Marrone 1 a.jpg

The right day to wear this Tuscan hat, made in Montevarchi - Arezzo by "La Famigliare" some years ago. 465px-FamiliarefactoryMontevarchi.jpg
It is another interesting discovery of the second wave because it accompanies the two velours made by the "Cappellificio La Famigliare" of Montevarchi found in the first.
Wallard M 5.jpg

I admire the wit of the producer who played on the words "Valdar daino" which is a nice way of indicating the joyful place where Montevarchi is located, the "Valdarno" which means the Arno valley, the river that passes through Florence.
Wallard M marchio m.jpg
Wallard M interno totale.jpg

Last edited:
It too is part of the lucky find a couple of weeks ago that shed new light on Italian hat production.

This time the velvet is black, of the same consistency as his brother. The shape and finishes are the same, here we have some more information regarding the marketing of the hat produced by "La Famigliare"

The right day to wear this Tuscan hat, made in Montevarchi - Arezzo by "La Famigliare" some years ago. 465px-FamiliarefactoryMontevarchi.jpg
It is another interesting discovery of the second wave because it accompanies the two velours made by the "Cappellificio La Famigliare" of Montevarchi found in the first.
Wallard M 5.jpg

I admire the wit of the producer who played on the words "Valdar daino" which is a nice way of indicating the joyful place where Montevarchi is located, the "Valdarno" which means the Arno valley, the river that passes through Florence.
Wallard M marchio m.jpg

Beautiful hat, Daniele. Thanks for the additional information on the brand.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Wallard M 5.jpg

Wallard M marchio m.jpg
Some exceptionally wonderful finds, Daniele.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
A hat from the same batch as yesterday's blue Barbisio bought for its elegance
Foresto 2a.jpg

It is a hat made for Foresto, a hat shop in Turin that has always had valuable pieces, as I can see from the ones I have collected over the years. Size is 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US
Foresto 1.jpg
The hatter is Tesi - Firenze, known above all for straw and panama hats of which it is a major producer
Foresto 4.jpg
Every now and then I come across some felt hats and they are often of excellent quality
Foresto Interno.jpg
This for example, a true mid-season hat, unlined and with a fabric sweatband
Foresto 5.jpg
The felt is light and has a wonderful color and a foulard like ribbon. Perfect for the Italian spring.
The measures of this beauty: the brims, finished with an invisible seam on the edge are 6.5 cm, the foulard is 4 cm and the crown fully open is 14 cm.
Foresto 3a.jpg
It is a fairly recent and high-end hat.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Foresto 2a.jpg

It is a hat made for Foresto, a hat shop in Turin that has always had valuable pieces, as I can see from the ones I have collected over the years. Size is 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US
Foresto 1.jpg
The hatter is Tesi - Firenze, known above all for straw and panama hats of which it is a major producer
Foresto 4.jpg
Every now and then I come across some felt hats and they are often of excellent quality
Foresto Interno.jpg
Foresto 5.jpg
The felt is light and has a wonderful color and a foulard like ribbon. Perfect for the Italian spring.
The measures of this beauty: the brims, finished with an invisible seam on the edge are 6.5 cm, the foulard is 4 cm and the crown fully open is 14 cm.
Foresto 3a.jpg
That is a heck of a jazz hat, Daniele.

Wonderful colour, and one cool ribbon!

Foresto 2a.jpg

Foresto 1.jpg
Foresto 4.jpg
Foresto Interno.jpg
Foresto 5.jpg
Foresto 3a.jpg
Beautiful color

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
From another messy and poorly described lot comes this Cervo
Tyrol Cervo 2.jpg

It has the color and finish of a Tyrolean hat with the braided cord and a shape not exactly in the tradition
Tyrol Cervo 1.jpg
Putting it back in order I noticed that the felt band at the base of the crown has a very slight darker color, as if it had been protected by a ribbon higher than the cord and the brims have a double stitching that adorns them very difficult to find in that type of hats. Anew shape give more caracter to the Cervo :)
Tyrol a Cervo 2.jpg

Only the rotten green color of the felt can remind us of Tyrolean hats
Tyrol a Cervo 4.jpg
It otherwise looks like a hat that has been stripped and redressed for a new use.
Cervo size 59 cm, unlined with fabric sweatband and a magnificent felt to the touch, certainly the best of the lot
Tyrol Cervo interno.jpg
No paper label gives us information on color and type
Tyrol a Cervo 3a.jpg
The lot is part of a series of Cappellificio Cervo productions that ended up on the market quickly at the farewell days of its life

Foresto 2a.jpg

Foresto 1.jpg
Foresto 4.jpg
Foresto Interno.jpg
Foresto 5.jpg
Foresto 3a.jpg
Some hats you just have to buy; resistance is futile.

Cervo Bantam in a dark grey to black heather felt called "nuit". Size 56 with the overwelt brim at 4,5cm and the crown at 10cm. This had so much potential to be a nice hat, but Cervo just missed the mark here in my opinion. The hat has shrunk so it doesn't fit me and the overall dimensions and shape of the hat give the impression of it being a tiny hat no matter what. Makes it look like a party hat to me; I just can't pull this one off. Pity really, but you can't win them all.

cervo bantam nuit_01.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_02.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_03.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_04.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_05.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_06.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_07.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_08.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_09.jpg

cervo bantam nuit_10.jpg

But you can win some!
Solis fedora in a grey colour called "Giove" (Jupiter). Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. The felt is somewhat heavier than usual for a dress hat and it weighs in at 140 grams. The hand of the felt is outstanding however and as smooth as you can find them. It sports a really wide sweatband: at 6cm it is wider than its brim!
Reminds me a bit of the hats made by Laubin for Sools. This one is made for Fabrizi of Rome. Everything about it says pre-war. I have it currently shaped brim-up, which I actually like even better. See next post.

solis_01.jpg

solis_02.jpg

solis_04.jpg

solis_06.jpg

solis_07.jpg

solis_08.jpg

solis_09.jpg

solis_10.jpg

solis_16.jpg

solis_17.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up