Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian brands hats

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This hat made by Cappellificio Cervo belongs to the batch of Barbisio and Cervo which have a quick and somewhat incomplete finish
Misto Cervo 2.jpg

I have a passion for Cervo production especially for hats called Bantam, they are often masterpieces of Italian production
Misto Cervo 3a.jpg
This had attracted me to the heather felt which is evidently a mixture of fur and wool
Misto Cervo interno.jpg
The logo used on the lining is very old, the original presented in 1934 for the patent, even if it is clear the hat is younger.
Misto Cervo 6.jpg
No indication of the color on the paper label, there is a label which is that of the manufacturing, intended to be removed
Misto Cervo 7.jpg
This led me even more to consider the hat, like others seen these days, a finished product in speed to be on the market.
The felt is nice, light enough to call it Bantam and the finish is good quality
Misto Cervo 4.jpg

Bantam Speciale Creazione Cervo. Size 59cm. or 73/8 in US, these are the measurements: the brims are at 4.8 cm, the ribbon is 4 cm high. and the open crown is 13cm.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Flamand 7.jpg

Found by accident and bought together with big name hats
Flamand 8.jpg
Arrived yesterday to my amazement I was deeply impressed by its quality
Flamand 6a.jpg
Unknown brand, probably Italian with a completely strange name (Produit of Pierpo - Sport wear of quality - Gold Point) size 56, assumed from the internal measurements.
Flamand 3.jpg
The honey-colored velour felt is very malleable and has a medium-long nap with a patterned ribbon.
The interior has a clear lining, but someone took away the sweatband
Flamand interno.jpg
The paper label show the name of felt finish with the French naming of this type of felt: "Flamand"
Flamand particolare etichetta.jpg
Here the measurements of this hat: overwelyed brim at 6 cm. the fancy ribbon is at 4 cm. and the open crown is 14 cm.
Flamand 4.jpg

Making the color of the felt was a bit difficult because despite the perfect gray in the sky, the bricks of the house at the foot of which the hats are photographed leave a red cast that disturbs.
A sort of Christmas gift from the Hats Heaven :)

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Every now and then I come across hats very rare on the Italian market
Guerra Grigio 4.jpg

Guerra 1855 is an Italian brand that had its own space in the international market until a few years ago, producing hats of excellent workmanship, but very little present in Italy
Guerra Grigio A.jpg
I have seen many more on the French market than on the local one
Guerra Grigio 8a.jpg
This find happened one day at the end of December 2022 and I bought it immediately because I have other Guerra long hair hats and they are on average very beautiful. We say that felt is better than finishes
Guerra Grigio 7a.jpg

This is the best in quality also in the finishes and the felt is fantastic. Like the others, Guerra is very soft and the hair is very soft. What I appreciate in this brand are the very basic, but very beautiful colors
Guerra Grigio interno.jpg
The hat has a reinforced satin sweatband and a good lining. No labels explaining color and model.
Guerra Grigio B.jpg
The measurements of Guerra 1855 size 58 are as follows: the raw brims are at 7cm and the ribbon is at 4, the open crown is 13cm.
Another strange find in the end of the year

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Another hat arrived in the last days of 2022, worn, but never photographed for this thread.
Speciale Cervo C.jpg

The hat has a particular history: it was owned by a sales agent for Cervo, Bantam, Barbisio, Inca, Doria, Guerra and owner of a well-known hat shop in Milan.
Speciale Cervo F.jpg
He has a good number of hats left and he has some problems selling them, but I think in the future it will be easy, we'll see :)
Speciale Cervo A.jpg
This is a "Bantam Special Creation" made by Cervo, size 60 cm. or 6 1/2 in US. more than what i need for my head.
No paper label to know more on this velour
Speciale Cervo Interno.jpg
It belongs to the latest generation of Bantam, let's say the Seventies.
The felt is very nice and in line with those Italian velour ones I've found in the last few months.
Speciale Cervo D.jpg
The felt probably comes from Panizza, the only one in Italy at that time to produce velour.
The finishes are excellent, the dimensions are generous and are these: the brims are 6.5 centimeters, the fully open crown is 14 and the ribbon, in contrast with the color of the felt, is 1 centimetre.
Speciale Cervo I.jpg

I was lucky even if completing the purchase was difficult. It was worth it

Cambiaghi woolfelt heather felt in an interesting design. Turns out to be a size 54 with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Wonder about the age of this one. Old, but not that old. Forties maybe? To be fair to the seller, the size tag was somewhere behind the sweatband and I only paid €3 for it.

cambiaghi heather_1.jpg

cambiaghi heather_2.jpg

cambiaghi heather_3.jpg

cambiaghi heather_4.jpg

cambiaghi heather_5.jpg

cambiaghi heather_6.jpg

cambiaghi heather_7.jpg

cambiaghi heather_8.jpg

cambiaghi heather_9.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I resume my hat tracker journey
Tesi Bantam A.jpg
Always on the lookout for hats made during the long decline of Italian hat making (1980 - 2000), when inventories were assembled to make use of what was left unseen after the golden years
Tesi Bantam 2.jpg

We are in the presence of a Bantam, Cappellificio Cervo brand, made by Tesi
Tesi Bantam interno.jpg
Tesi Bantam marchio Tesi.jpg
A well-known Tuscan hat maker, especially in straw and occasionally in felt, always of excellent workmanship
Tesi Bantam 8.jpg

This is one of the best Italian recent felts, which means the last ones produced in Italy in the last 30/40 years.
Tesi Bantam 3.jpg
It is a black velour with a short fur, soft, light and malleable, it reminds me of a very similar one produced in Italy in the Thirties which I added to my collection last year.
Tesi Bantam 9.jpg
The measurements of this Bantam/Tesi are as follows: the brims finished with a seam on the edge are 6 cm. the open crown is at 12.5cm and the ribbon is at 3cm.
I am always pleased to find hats of this quality.

It's been more than a month. That doesn't feel right. Picked this one up.
Cervo Bantam Gold. No label inside the hat, so unsure of the colour and unsure about the size. Sold to me as a size 57, but it's closer to a size 59 or 60. Overwelt brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. There was a folded newspaper inside the sweatband dated 1973. Could well be, but could also have been added later. What stands out on this one is the ribbon treatment. The felt continues up until the top of the narrow ribbon. No stitches to be seen on the outside from the sweatband. The narrow ribbon goes all the way round without a seam (at least I couldn't find it). Very nicely done. From the ribbon to the rest of the crown it looks stepped, almost as if the hat was made in two parts, which it isn't. Very cool design and superb execution. Weighs 120 grams.

cervo bantam gold_01.jpg
cervo bantam gold_02.jpg
cervo bantam gold_03.jpg
cervo bantam gold_04.jpg
cervo bantam gold_05.jpg
cervo bantam gold_06.jpg
cervo bantam gold_07.jpg
cervo bantam gold_08.jpg
cervo bantam gold_09.jpg
cervo bantam gold_10.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It's been more than a month. That doesn't feel right. Picked this one up.
Cervo Bantam Gold. No label inside the hat, so unsure of the colour and unsure about the size. Sold to me as a size 57, but it's closer to a size 59 or 60. Overwelt brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. There was a folded newspaper inside the sweatband dated 1973. Could well be, but could also have been added later. What stands out on this one is the ribbon treatment. The felt continues up until the top of the narrow ribbon. No stitches to be seen on the outside from the sweatband. The narrow ribbon goes all the way round without a seam (at least I couldn't find it). Very nicely done. From the ribbon to the rest of the crown it looks stepped, almost as if the hat was made in two parts, which it isn't. Very cool design and superb execution. Weighs 120 grams.

View attachment 510645 View attachment 510646 View attachment 510647 View attachment 510648 View attachment 510649 View attachment 510650 View attachment 510651 View attachment 510652 View attachment 510653 View attachment 510654
That is one interestingly cool ribbon design, Stefan.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I received this in a trade with Joe for a nice old Caxton. Vanzina Pavia in a gloriously green short napped velour.

20230728_113328.jpg 20230728_113343.jpg 20230728_113424.jpg 20230728_113755.jpg 20230728_113945.jpg 20230728_113959.jpg 20230728_114017.jpg 20230728_114054.jpg

The crown is 13 cm open, the brim is 6 cm. 130g. The felt is really high quality and in great shape, with a hand softer than anything in my collection.
Here's a shot in the sun to appreciate it's color.

20230728_113055.jpg

A beautiful piece of Italian craftsmanship!

I received this in a trade with Joe for a nice old Caxton. Vanzina Pavia in a gloriously green short napped velour.

View attachment 535609 View attachment 535610 View attachment 535611 View attachment 535612 View attachment 535613 View attachment 535614 View attachment 535615 View attachment 535616

The crown is 13 cm open, the brim is 6 cm. 130g. The felt is really high quality and in great shape, with a hand softer than anything in my collection.

View attachment 535617

Glad to see it in all its glory. I think it definitely ticks some boxes. Now keep that thing away from your moths!!!!

View attachment 535609 View attachment 535610 View attachment 535611 View attachment 535612 View attachment 535613 View attachment 535614 View attachment 535615 View attachment 535616

View attachment 535617

Is there such a thing as glorious green? Beautiful looking felt and a nice shape to that Vanzina, John.

Posted the backstory of the retailer last week, but finally came around the hat hat itself.

Super Panizza in a grey colour called lampo (lightning). Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Fairly sturdy felt that seems set in its ways, but can be convinced with some steam. Nice hand on it though. The liner is very nice as well. Very happy with this one.

panizza ideal_01.jpg
panizza ideal_02.jpg
panizza ideal_03.jpg
panizza ideal_04.jpg
panizza ideal_06.jpg
panizza ideal_07.jpg
panizza ideal_08.jpg
panizza ideal_09.jpg
panizza ideal_11.jpg
panizza ideal_12.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Posted the backstory of the retailer last week, but finally came around the hat hat itself.

Super Panizza in a grey colour called lampo (lightning). Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 7cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Fairly sturdy felt that seems set in its ways, but can be convinced with some steam. Nice hand on it though. The liner is very nice as well. Very happy with this one.

View attachment 535910 View attachment 535911 View attachment 535912 View attachment 535913 View attachment 535914 View attachment 535915 View attachment 535916 View attachment 535917 View attachment 535918 View attachment 535919
Cool!
That Lampo color makes me all tingly.

Cappello Vaso velour fedora in brown called Branlio (or Branliq?). Size 57 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. The name is a play on the name of the Dutch retailer J. Pul it was made for and we've seen the brand before. The manufacturer is actually Vanzina. Weighs 125 grams. Nice hat for autumn.
Don't mind the little spots; I had to take the pictures in the incessant drizzle we'll be having the last few and coming days.

vanzina vaso_01.jpg

vanzina vaso_02.jpg

vanzina vaso_03.jpg

vanzina vaso_04.jpg

vanzina vaso_06.jpg

vanzina vaso_07.jpg

vanzina vaso_08.jpg

vanzina vaso_09.jpg

vanzina vaso_10.jpg

vanzina vaso_11.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads