Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian made pocket squares - a source!

Orangehaggis

New in Town
I stumbled across http://www.pochette-square.com/en/ during a recent google search for European made handkerchiefs. I haven't ordered anything yet, but I intend to order a solid red one on payday! The prices seem to be rather good for Italian made. Have any members of the Lounge purchased from this merchant?

Orangehaggis

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Never heard of them. Personally, I prefer shopping for clothing in person as the colors are rarely accurate in the photos used by online retailers.

Annixter

Practically Family
I cannot comment on their reputation, for I've never purchased from them, but they seem to have attractive policies and a great selection. With free international shipping and a money-back return policy (minus shipping), I think it's worth purchasing from them if you find some you want that you cannot get in the States. Depending on how much you purchase, return shipping, if you chose to return, will set you back about $12 to France first-class, so it's not the worst.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
The only place I can find pocket squares that aren't of Chinese origin in my region is my tailor's shop. His price? $80 plus two weeks to get the thing made and posted from Italy. $30 give or take with free post from France is worth having a go. I'll report back with the verdict in due course!

Orangehaggis

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
The only thing I've noticed, and its a personal thing to me, is the size of the squares, most of the silk are approx. 33cm and have machine rolled hems. I prefer hand rolled and minimum 42 to 46 cm.
I find it fills the pocket better.
that said I think the site has some great advice.

Edward

Bartender
The only thing I've noticed, and its a personal thing to me, is the size of the squares, most of the silk are approx. 33cm and have machine rolled hems. I prefer hand rolled and minimum 42 to 46 cm.
I find it fills the pocket better.
that said I think the site has some great advice.

You do have to be careful of size. A shocking number of the big name retailers here in london sell pocket squares that are only about six inches square - not big enough to be fit for purpose, in my opinion. I'm happy with 12" and up. I don't much care where they're made, though. Otherwise, on a day to day basis, I often prefer cotton over silk. I've considered buying a bulk of white cotton squares and dying them myself, though unless I was dying a shirt or something that probably wouldn't be economical, given the cost of dye and the fact I'd be unlikely to want more than a couple of each colour.

Orangehaggis

New in Town
I'm afraid I rather forgot about reporting back to FL once my order arrived, but better late than never... The pocket square is in a bright red, in a heavier silk twill than the Chinese pocket squares readily available from local department stores; but not so heavy that it creates excessive bulk. The edges are hand rolled and stitched, and one of the corners is done a little sloppier than I might have liked, but overall I'm very pleased with my purchase. I'll definitely give pochette-square.com another go in future.

Orangehaggis

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Most Italian labels are not Italian made so the name doesn't really mean anything
Just a joke. I've actually known Kent long before he started his business.

Now are you saying that a garment carrying the Made in Italy tag may have been made elsewhere ?

Edward

Bartender
Just a joke. I've actually known Kent long before he started his business.

Now are you saying that a garment carrying the Made in Italy tag may have been made elsewhere ?

As memory serves, under EU law final assembly would have the be in Italy to qualify for that label, but the component parts need not be there. If I'm right, this would mean that only the edge-stitching would need to be done in Italy for that to qualify - the silk could be woven and cut into squares elsewhere.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think Edward is correct. I've read something similar. Final assembly or the step of "substancial transformation" (had to look it up in english) giving the item it's distinctive shape.

Besides nobody would order small wang pocketsquares. Just big ones

Claudio

Vendor
yes thats pretty much the case although seeing the relatively small market for PS if they are labeled MADE IN ITALY they probably are completely made there (doesnt justify the expenses to get them made abroad and then finished in Italy, unlike much bigger maket-items like shirts, jeans or what have you).

The more serious problem is that many (most?) Made in Italy labels are made in Italy by chinese sweatshops (often runned by Italian mafia). So if its too cheapt to believe, then its probably made in Italy by chinese exploited labour. But indeed is made there. That is why if an item is too cheap then there is indeed a reason for it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As memory serves, under EU law final assembly would have the be in Italy to qualify for that label
True but there are rumors floating around that many Italian makers consider the single step of attaching the Made in Italy label, to an otherwise foreign made garment, sufficient to satisfy 'final assembly.' Crafty devils, if that's so.

Claudio

Vendor
True but there are rumors floating around that many Italian makers consider the single step of attaching the Made in Italy label, to an otherwise foreign made garment, sufficient to satisfy 'final assembly.' Crafty devils, if that's so.

This is pretty much the case, although they do follow the actual law and so they add I final stitch or buttoning in Italy. So they are not braking the law, its the law that is terrible (a EU law I hasten to add). However in many cases it's cheaper to make the garments in Italy (through chinese sweat shops) so it's techincally MAde in Italy. That is why one should always question the quality and the final sales price (if one cares about these details I mean).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace