Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's a boy! ... erhm, I mean a biltmore!

Alon

One of the Regulars
My new baby Biltmore. Royal Biltmore, in fact. I bought this from an old haberdasher for a fraction of the cost because it had been lying in his display case for quite some time and is somewhat faded. I paid $60 for a $175 hat. The owner and the store are both very old and I assume that so is the stock, since I haven't seen this model on Hats Plus' selection of Biltmores (my brim is 2 3/8" and none of their Biltmores fit the description).

The original colour of the hat (pure beaver, by the way) and the ribbon was steel, but the hat is a light gray now and the ribbon gold in front and gray in the back (because of the sunlight).

I'd like to have the ribbon replaced. Can this be done without damaging the inside lining and sweat band? What colour do you think is best? I'm thinking a beige or offwhite for a not-so-serious but still formal look, and perhaps slightly wider than the one already on the hat.

I also had trouble bashing it, as you can see from the photos, and I'm not sure how to proceed. The front creases don't want to stay very deep and the tear drop on top doesn't really hold it's shape.

Still, I think a great purchase for my first real fedora!

Without further ado...

2106438855_0ceac7fd03.jpg

"Royal Biltmore"

2106438781_33f61c4314.jpg

2107217490_9d4a94b11a.jpg

Up close.

2107217356_7741c10d79.jpg

Tear drop won't hold.

2106439073_b905e3c861.jpg

Moi avec chapeau.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Nice looking hat!! vacuum it off (dust), then get a teapot of water boiling just steady, producing an even steam. Hold the portion of the hat you want to work on over the steam for a few seconds - within about an inch or so of the spout. The stiffener in the felt 'melts' when steamed and becomes more pliable for a few seconds, do some shaping, and it re-hardens into that shape; might take a few iterations. Takes me maybe a half-hour or so to work with a crown. Then, after a day or so, I see where I could improve it and do it all over again. Maybe its right after the 2nd re-bash. Can do this with the brim also; sets your snap.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Alon, That is a terrific buy for your very first fedora. Congratulations!

Good advice from both Barrowjh and Surely. If you can find larger sizes (7 1/2, 7 5/8, 7 3/4) at good prices, you have a good probability of reselling them on the Lounge.

Alon

One of the Regulars
All of his hats are $165 (not $175, my mistake) and seem to be older fashioned Biltmores. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace