Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's my face - isn't it?

CopperNY

A-List Customer
right there with you.

i shaved my beard (medium full) for the first time in 14 years last month, and people freaked out. some didn't even recognize me, and everyone had to make some sort of comment.

i'll be growing it back soon (didn't like the resulting look) and the next round can start.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Spitfire said:
I have often wondered about, how women would take it, if their friends, lovers and husbands suddenly began commenting and ordering them to change their looks.
- Stop dying your hair, it looks stupid!
- Why don't you use another lipstick, I am tired of that color.
- Stop using so much makeup.Makes you look older.
- Use more makeup! You do look old.
- Do you have to wear those earrings?
- Get a haircut.
- Grow your hair longer....whatever.

I know more than a few husbands who have "encouraged" their wives to get full Brazilian bikini wax jobs. It doesn't get more interfering than that.

Tiller

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: I've always wanted to see someone grow a Hercule Poirot style mustache. If I saw someone on the street wearing one, I'd probably walk right over, and shake their hand, and congratulate them.

I know your pain. My ex always said she didn't like me with any facial hair. Granted she was a bit nicer about it, "It covers up your pretty face"lol.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Spitfire said:
I have often wondered about, how women would take it, if their friends, lovers and husbands suddenly began commenting and ordering them to change their looks.
- Get a haircut.

That all depends on the woman. In my house that would receive a withering look or perhaps a swift backhand.lol

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
I'm guilty of that! I always do it! :eek: [angel]

I can't help it! :D

Unfortunately, it's always guys who wonder what it's like to have a real beard, and little kids with sticky fingers. Beards are not the chick magnet I'd hoped for. :p

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While it depends on which woman is doing the touching, it is incredibly complimentary to be considered so approachable; even attractive. ;) ;)

The last time a man stroked my face he told me he loved me ... it was my father and I was a little boy. :)

I work very hard to look my best whether its working out, eating right, ironing my own clothes whatever. If some one cares enough to offer their opinion I listen; they are taking time out of their lives to pay attention to me. The least I can do is respect that, under the appropriate circumstances.

If I get a compliment, like the waitress (see above) either she meant it or she wanted a big tip. It doesn't matter she brightened my day. However, if she attempted to stroke my beard I do not think I would like that. Boundary issues.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
People can be rude fools. Ask any pregnant women who has had to deal with strangers rubbing her stomach and asking about her sex life.

I have naturally curly hair and often get comments from total strangers. The worst was from a former boss who remarked to a coworker as I walked by on a humid day, "If I had hair like that I would never leave the house." I turned around and said "I can hear you through my hair, you know."

Do what makes you happy. At least you'll have stories to tell.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
My hair/beard grows quickly. If I take a week's vacation, I'll usually go without shaving. By the time I'm back to work, I'll have a good bit of beard going, which oftens surprises the people I work with.

I'll usually grow the beard out for several months, letting it get a couple inches long. Then I'll cut it into a big goatee, or giant moustache, and keep that for a month or two. I'll often try out vintage beard styles, like the Hollywoodian, or the Hulihee. Then I'll come in one day with my face and head completely clean shaven.

I try to keep people talking. They should never know what to expect.

tuppence

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
- Get a haircut.

Yep, I know..... "It's only good sound advice, and it all depends on how you say it!" I don't think so! It's interferring in another persons life!;)

I eventualy left him.

If it is a sudden change then it draws the comments because change seems to make others nervous. I think it has to do with the whole conformity issue, most regular people consider doing something outside the "normal" as momentus change. They figure you went thru an epifany of some sort and their comments are meant to drive you back to normalcy and see the errors of your ways.

Best thing is to go away on vacation for two weeks and come back with it already well established.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I tried the 5 o'clock look, but my face didn't become public property. More like unclaimed property.
352978889_ead6e295e2_m.jpg

Red Diabla

One of the Regulars
Lotta Little said:
People can be rude fools. Ask any pregnant women who has had to deal with strangers rubbing her stomach and asking about her sex life.

I have naturally curly hair and often get comments from total strangers. The worst was from a former boss who remarked to a coworker as I walked by on a humid day, "If I had hair like that I would never leave the house." I turned around and said "I can hear you through my hair, you know."

I was wondering when the crap that pregnant women deal with from strangers was going to be brought up! :D

I get comments on my hair color from strangers. Now that I'm older it's usually in the positive, but when I was younger, I heard some harsh stuff. The worst was the college-age boys who would say, "You know what they say about redheads!" with a salacious wink. :rage: That was just...icky.

RD

Wil Tam

Practically Family
dang!

Lotta Little said:

that's ....just wrong :eek:

----------------
Now playing: Beatles, the - In Spite of All the Danger [Mono] (Paul McCartney and George Harrison)
via FoxyTunes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy