Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J 23 by Lost Worlds

One of the Regulars
The brown truck came today with a much anticipated shipment.
Yeah; there was my Buco replica J23 by Lost Worlds.
Wow... what can I say?
I had/have quite a few jackets since I'm riding motorcycles, but for sure this is the best by far that I ever owned or own.
Simple exceptional!:eusa_clap

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
1087 said:
I will do that in the next few days!

I'm looking forward to it, since I just ordered a LW Roadhouse myself. For some reason, Lost Worlds doesn't get as much press around here as some other manufacturers, but their MC jackets are at least equal to Aero for quality of work and material. Breaking in LW horsehide is not for the meek or easily discouraged, but some of us enjoy a challenge lol

One of the Regulars
TheSnark said:
I'm looking forward to it, since I just ordered a LW Roadhouse myself. For some reason, Lost Worlds doesn't get as much press around here as some other manufacturers, but their MC jackets are at least equal to Aero for quality of work and material. Breaking in LW horsehide is not for the meek or easily discouraged, but some of us enjoy a challenge lol

You would love the Roadhouse!
I have a Ryder which is quite similar to the Roadhouse and is a great jacket!
I think that the main reason behind the lack of press here, is created by Stuart lack of polite manners to express himself specially in the website.
Having said that, I have absolutely no problems to deal with him at all, very straightforward, I gave him my instructions only one time, and he delivers exactly what I requested, no mistakes, no false promises,etc,etc; obviously he is so proud of his product and he proclaims that,but quite honestly he has ammo to prove that.
I totally agree with you about the comparison to Aero, I will now better in few months after I finalize my deal with Amanda for one of their motorcycle jackets ( their swatch samples, are good too), but if the Aero equals or is close to the quality of the Lost Worlds ,I will be in Heaven, I can't deny that Aero Brown and Cordovan are quite awesome HH's.
This J23 replica 4 OZ HH weights 8 1/2 pounds, a very heavy jacket, super stiff, but you know what, since it fits me perfectly I can still move and dictate the calls to the jackets, albeit a bit slowly, but like you said we enjoy the challenge.

Edward

Bartender
There have been numerous threads on here in the past few years, probably still in the archives, where LW has been discussed.... for the most part it is, as you say, the fact that the fellow appears to have a somewhat abrasive attitude, even be a little contemptuous of what must be a large chunk of his own target market, that seems to put folks off. I know with quality alternatives like Aero out there who bend over backwards to be helpful, I m myself disinclined to put my business the way of someone who is awkward. That said, I certainly wouldn't fault the quality of any LW garments I've handled. Some folks find his Bucos a touch on the weighty side (as do some, to be fair, Aero's FQHH), but I should have thought that'd be a plus if you're actually looking to use them as bike leathers.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
I admit it did take a while for me to overcome the aversion to the rhetoric on the LW website. Much to my surprise, I have had no hint of that attitude while speaking with him on the phone... he was actually very pleasant, informative, and easy-going. Granted, that is not the impression one gets from his website.

My own experience with Aero, on the other hand, is quite the opposite. I waited more than 13 months for a jacket that was initially promised in 3-4 months (the only mods from the standard jacket were zip sleeves and a cotton twill lining, instead of wool). Every 3 months or so, I would ask for a status and estimated delivery date and was told each time "It should be soon"... which is not a real answer at all, and just left me waiting and wondering. During all this time, others on this forum were reporting having ordered and received their jackets in 12-14 weeks. Needless to say, I feel as though I've been treated as a second class customer, and I won't be ordering from the Aero factory again. I have nothing against Mark Moye... if he has a jacket in his possession up for sale ready, for immediate delivery, I won't hesitate to bid or buy... but Aero's customer service from the factory is just unacceptable in my experience. They had their chances, but they didn't even provide the courtesy of a response when I asked for a status. Great product, but truly lousy service.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather overlook the website rhetoric from LW than be ignored and left hanging by Aero. Aero fans will, I'm sure, jump to the defense with their own stories of great service, and explain to me that all my troubles were worth it, after all. Ummm.... No, they weren't. To those who have had good experience with Aero, stick with them... but I won't be left in limbo again.

jon z

One of the Regulars
My LW J23

Excellent choice 1087 (Sounds like a line from the Prisoner) & one you'll never live to regret I'm sure. These things will be around with the cockroaches after the apocalypse when all else has perished. I look forward to your upcoming pics.

In anticipation here's mine for comparison (Previously posted). I had this made with no belt loops or fur collar fixings as I think it makes for a less cluttered look. Also I opted for the Crown sprung zip & wool lining.

Just for the record Stuart treated me with honesty & respect, more than I can say for a certain female employee of Aero who was quite happy to rip me off & then send me an indignant email in response to my pulling her for it.

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
Excellent choice 1087 (Sounds like a line from the Prisoner) & one you'll never live to regret I'm sure. These things will be around with the cockroaches after the apocalypse when all else has perished. I look forward to your upcoming pics.

In anticipation here's mine for comparison (Previously posted). I had this made with no belt loops or fur collar fixings as I think it makes for a less cluttered look. Also I opted for the Crown sprung zip & wool lining.

Just for the record Stuart treated me with honesty & respect, more than I can say for a certain female employee of Aero who was quite happy to rip me off & then send me an indignant email in response to my pulling her for it.

Hello John;
Yours looks absolutely fabulous!
It reminds me of the early 30's jackets!
My only regret having riding for 40 years and counting that I did not get this jewel years ago in order to enjoy it more.
For sure it will survive me and the next generation+
Mine is the traditional J23 with a longer back and custom length sleeves as well as a dark brown fur collar like the J24's had back then.
I will ride this coming Sunday and Monday to start the long break in process.
I know... I know... I have to take and post pictures!:)

One of the Regulars
roadking04 said:
Hi 1087. Just wondering what type of MC jacket you were thinking about from aero?

Hello HD;
I'm consider a custom modified "King of the Road" either in brown or cordovan, but I'm not so sure because there are several issues that I have to resolve with them.

LW's jackets

1087 said:
Wow... what can I say?
I had/have quite a few jackets since I'm riding motorcycles, but for sure this is the best by far that I ever owned or own.

I have LW's Suburban and Down town carcoat both HH.
I love them both....the HH are of excellent quality..chrome tanned..

My Aero Halfbelt is chrome tanned also..but LW is better...

jon z

One of the Regulars
1087 said:
Hello John;
Yours looks absolutely fabulous!
It reminds me of the early 30's jackets!
Hi 1087.
Thank you. I'm sure yours is as equally fabulous.
This particular design came about in the early 50s I believe.

1087 said:
My only regret having riding for 40 years and counting that I did not get this jewel years ago in order to enjoy it more.
You & me both. I'm no youngster but I'm happy I got my jacket later rather than never.

1087 said:
Mine is the traditional J23 with a longer back and custom length sleeves as well as a dark brown fur collar like the J24's had back then.
I don't recall that variant being shewn as a stock item on LW's site. Did you have it custom built?

1087 said:
I know... I know... I have to take and post pictures!:)
I look forward to them with anticipation.

Bonneville

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
.... In anticipation here's mine for comparison (Previously posted). I had this made with no belt loops or fur collar fixings as I think it makes for a less cluttered look. Also I opted for the Crown sprung zip & wool lining.

Wow. That's a beauty Jon. Can you tell me the mm. thickness of it and is it HH or cow.
Cheers, Ted.

One of the Regulars
jon z said:
Hi 1087.
Thank you. I'm sure yours is as equally fabulous.
This particular design came about in the early 50s I believe.>>>

Hello again John;
Yes you are right, yours been made by Buco from 1959-60 and it was call J24H.

You & me both. I'm no youngster but I'm happy I got my jacket later rather than never.>>>.

I agree I have quite a few jackets, but I was waiting for this one quite a while.

I don't recall that variant being shewn as a stock item on LW's site. Did you have it custom built?>>>

It's 1 inch longer in the back and 1 inch longer sleeve than the original 40 size, I make him replace the black curly fur , for the non curly dark brown , that after few years of use fades to golden brown ( many of the original J23-24 Buco's with the dark brown fur looks fantastic with the golden brown patina.In essence is custom but Stuart considers the changes been so simple for an extra charge, so I paid for an standard jacket.

I look forward to them with anticipation.>>>

I will do it during the week.
PS; What bike/s do you ride?
Since you are located in the UK, I have an idea , but I like to hear from you.
Thank you!

Vic

One of the Regulars
1087 said:
Wow... what can I say?

Congrats! Such a great jacket!!

I also really dig the Trojan that they made from Bison!

jon z

One of the Regulars
Hi 1087.

Now I'm really gonna shatter your illusions. I don't own a motorcycle & only have my jacket, along with several others, as street wear :eek:

If I were ever fortunate enough to be able to buy one as a play thing it would have to be a custom Harley bobber.
John

One of the Regulars
J23 Pics

I just wear the jacket one time, I did a little 60 miles ride.
It's like a piece of cast, but it fits me like a glove, hence no muscle pain or strain.
Enjoy it!

CarlosPICS622.jpg

CarlosPICS623.jpg

CarlosPICS624.jpg

CarlosPICS625.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff