Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Robert Oppenheimer Fedora

Hello all. I've been following this discussion about "Oppi's" unique hat with interest. I've mainly been a Fedora, Trilby and Panama wearer for years now but I love the look of this hat. I'm curious what your impressions are of the hat I'm linking below that is being sold by a company I'm not familiar with, Agnoulita, as an "Oppenhiemer" style hat. Obviously the band doesnt match up, but to my untrained and unsophisticated eye the hat itself seems...promising.

[/URL]

I believe I have more Agnoulita hats than anyone else on this site.
One of the nice things about going with a custom hat is you get to specify many of the details. You can ask Mr. P for the exact brim width and crown height you have in mind. If you want to change up the ribbon that’s not a problem either.

The rabbit fur felt Agnoulita hats are not bad, but they aren’t great either. The beaver is a worthwhile upgrade if they have it in the color you want. The problem then becomes price and if you shouldn’t spend just a bit more and get a better custom hat from someone like Gannon. There isn’t anything wrong with Agnoulita, but you have to have reasonable expectations for the price of the hat.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hnc-hatworks-formerly-known-as-agnoulita-hats.93020/page-33

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Wow! Great find!
I did a restoration on a '50s era 3X Quality Stetson with that same profile and 3 cord hat band. I used that Open Road in the ad for inspiration when I restored this hat. It was really trashed and abused, and the sweat was rotted and falling out when I first got it. I cleaned it up and rebuilt it. The hat still bears a little of the distressing from age, shadows of the old crease, and a hard life. But, it still has a long life ahead of it after the rebuild. It's a true testament to the toughness of these old 3X Quality Stetsons. I'd love to get hold of another one.

I would almost bet that Oppenheimer was wearing a 3X Quality Stetson in this picture. The era and the look of the hat seems to fit. JMO....
oppenheimer.jpg

My 3X Stetson Quality Restoration:

Before:
3-X-Stetson-Conversion-5.jpg

3-X-Stetson-Conversion-6.jpg

After:
3-X-Stetson-Conversion-1.jpg

3-X-Stetson-Conversion-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members