Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Robert Oppenheimer Fedora

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Fed,
The question Remains
"does seem to have some vestige of flanging"
What kind western or fedora?

I just don't see any vestige of flanging and I don't think it's a fedora. I think the brim got that way from rough handling. I believe it's the same hat as mine, the one I posted on the previous page. The era is correct. Both are Stetsons, and both have the same 3 ply ribbon treatment and brim binding. The brim width on both look to be the same before mine was trimmed and converted. Maybe you should ask Mike at Northwest and see what he thinks.

Last edited:

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Fed,
The question Remains
"does seem to have some vestige of flanging"
What kind western or fedora?

I am not sure. There are aspects which seem to go both, but Western is dominant. It could be that he leaned up against things while wearing the hat so often that it took on an upward curve over time.

Fed

frussell

One Too Many
Or he got rained on a lot. Many of my old cowboy hats took on a brim curl at the rear after repeated wearings in wet weather over many years, and drying on my head with no reshaping. My grandfather's hats all ended up the same way. This can happen to a hat that is not babied, blocked or cleaned regularly. Most of us take good care of our hats, so we don't see this amount of "character," but lots of old ranch hats end up this way. I didn't mind because the next time I got rained on, the rear brim curl kept the water off my neck, and directed the flow forward, where it could run off.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I think if Oppenheimer was still living he would want a hat like yours instead of the beater that he wore. The hat looks great.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

Oppenheimer would have been jealous if he were still living. I bet he would have called up Mike at North West and had one made just like yours. Actually, I think you give off more of a Hemingway vibe than an Oppenheimer vibe. Although I don't recall Hemingway wearing a hat like that, but he should have. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112