Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J. Robert Oppenheimer Fedora

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'm looking for a lid like the one the famous nuclear physicist wore.

Sorry I don't have a photo, but it's the fedora he's always pictured wearing--roundabout 2 1/2-inch snap brim and a very thin ribbon. All the old pics I've seen are black and white, but the color appears to be a light gray or light fawn. If anyone has a photo, please throw it up here so everybody can see the hat I'm seeking.

The closest thing I've found so far is the Akubra Bushman, though its brim is considerably wider and the crown height and taper don't seem quite right. I'm looking for a close off-the-shelf match, not a custom or one I'd have to modify.

I think having such a hat would be positively atomic. (Altogether now: GROAN!)

Any help?

donnc

One of the Regulars
oppenheimer.jpg

Could have been similar to mine -

794103108_LpcsJ-O.jpg

... a perfectly good Stetson, model unknown, that I messed up almost as rudely as he did his -

792338310_fSETr-O.jpg

Woodfluter

Practically Family
OMG...The hat Scott has (in the first posting RLK referenced) is a dead ringer for Oppenhiemer's! Amazing.

And the pose in his picture...if I were casting the role, I'd contact Scott. Wooohee!

So it looks more likely to be Stetson San Fran or something similar rather than OR I guess. But DonnC's hat could be a candidate too - only I suspect Oppenheimer's was lighter felt? Wonder how many had three-line narrow ribbon and edge binding.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
donnc said:
Could have been similar to mine -

... a perfectly good Stetson, model unknown, that I messed up almost as rudely as he did his -

792338310_fSETr-O.jpg

Yours might even be a 'San Fran'. It's tough to tell on old Stetsons, since they didn't put the model name in most of them - you really have to compare dimensions of your hat to what's listed in old catalogs/brochures (I'm not even sure mine's a 'San Fran', but the measurements and characteristics match publications from that period). Also, there were a ton of options available, and each catalog or store only showed certain combinations in their catalogs, and didn't show some models at all.

It's also possible Oppenheimer wore a Stetson clone - Miller Hats, etc., all cloned Stetsons, and Oppenehimer might have been frugal.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Possible Hats

4644318445_f7bab7d00f_b.jpg

A couple of period possibilities. Royal Stetson DeLuxe and Dobbs Rancher of early 1940's. Sorry I didn't replicate the "bash" and I don't look anything like Robert Oppenheimer[huh]

donnc

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Yours might even be a 'San Fran'. It's tough to tell on old Stetsons, since they didn't put the model name in most of them - you really have to compare dimensions of your hat to what's listed in old catalogs/brochures

Actually, I would have guessed it's not all that old - more like '90s than '40s, though I wouldn't really know how to tell. I suppose the main question, for someone who wants a similar hat, is whether Stetson still makes it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
donnc said:
Actually, I would have guessed it's not all that old - more like '90s than '40s, though I wouldn't really know how to tell. I suppose the main question, for someone who wants a similar hat, is whether Stetson still makes it.

Given that we were discussing Oppeneheimer's hat, I assumed you were showing us a vintage example - it's almost always impossible to date generic styles without a shot of the underside.

Stetson certainly does not make hats even approaching the quality of Oppenheimer's. If you could find a bound-brim dress western that looked similar, I'm sure you couldn't get the same disorderly bash that he achieved (felt isn't soft enough).

donnc

One of the Regulars
AlterEgo said:
The closest thing I've found so far is the Akubra Bushman, though its brim is considerably wider and the crown height and taper don't seem quite right. I'm looking for a close off-the-shelf match, not a custom or one I'd have to modify.

Sorry, I missed that part - but, with respect to modifications you'd be obliged to make, you're OK with re-creasing it? As I think you'd have to, in any case.

To me, the brim looks like it could easily be 3 1/4 inches, as I see listed for the Bushman. The crown looks shorter to me in the Life picture, than in other Oppenheimer pictures. Your average western hat might be too tall, but the Bushman and most of the hats pictured here would be in that range, given that kind of assertive telescope crease, I think?

oppenheimer_groves.jpg

Does anyone here take western hats and rebash them like this here at the Lounge? I am a large guy (6'1", 250) and think a western hat bashed like a fedora would fit my stature better.

AtomicEraTom said:
Does anyone here take western hats and rebash them like this here at the Lounge? I am a large guy (6'1", 250) and think a western hat bashed like a fedora would fit my stature better.
Mainly what is done in the Conversion Corral thread but with a little brim trimming as well. Western hats in a tear drop or C crease are typically called Tycoon creases. HTH

donnc

One of the Regulars
AtomicEraTom said:

You bet. Starting with a reasonably good quality fur felt hat, the crease is fairly easy - though for sure, there are people here who can do a nicer job than you or I, and the height of the crown will limit your options. If you like some variation on a western brim, and you're happy to use the old ribbon, then you could do the whole job in a half hour. If you really want it to look just like a fedora style hat, with a deeper and narrower bound brim, classic ribbon etc., then ... in my very inexpert opinion, the simplest option is likely to be to buy a fedora. It's like, could you make a chest of drawers for your bedroom? You bet! Is that the way to go? Well ... if you want to, it is. On the bright side, no matter what, it's bound to look better than Oppenheimer's.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good day AlterEgo
back on topic here I would say the closest factory produced hat you are going to get is an Akubra. The Campdraft will be the closest but you will have to bash the hat yourself as it comes open crowned. I know you can get the squatter with the pork pie bash but it has a wider ribbon. But you can always ask if the dealer will bash it for you. If you are going to make those kind of requests I would ask hatsdirect. It may take an extra three months to come form the factory like that, but if you don't wan to do it yourself then it may be your best option.
My two cents worth.

http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=19

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0

Oh and when you decide, let us know and show us some pictures.

Johnny

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
donnc said:
You bet. Starting with a reasonably good quality fur felt hat, the crease is fairly easy - though for sure, there are people here who can do a nicer job than you or I, and the height of the crown will limit your options. If you like some variation on a western brim, and you're happy to use the old ribbon, then you could do the whole job in a half hour. If you really want it to look just like a fedora style hat, with a deeper and narrower bound brim, classic ribbon etc., then ... in my very inexpert opinion, the simplest option is likely to be to buy a fedora. It's like, could you make a chest of drawers for your bedroom? You bet! Is that the way to go? Well ... if you want to, it is. On the bright side, no matter what, it's bound to look better than Oppenheimer's.

Oppenheimer wore a telescope crease. The slight pinch at the front that some pics of hims show, is misleading.

410S7iWXYQL._SS500_.jpg

donnc

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Oppenheimer wore a telescope crease. The slight pinch at the front that some pics of hims show, is misleading.

Yes, and several posts back in this thread, yesterday morning, I speculated that this telescope crease would likely reduce the apparent crown height a little, compared to other more common options applied to an Akubra or other similar hat - think so?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy