Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket guys/gals, what briefcase do you carry? Do you match or change bags?

robrinay

One Too Many
I had a quick look via Google to see what Top gear Luggage looked like but was only able to find a pic of Jeremy Clarkson with a Ralph Lauren messenger bag in light tan on a Daily Mirror site.

Completely unrelated - I searched this company out for someone in another thread but I know nothing about them - though they do have some interesting looking stuff

http://www.melvillandmoonshop.com/19-luggage

Last edited:

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars

tonypaj

Practically Family
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/jeremy-clarkson-and-richard-hammond-are-seen-on-january-10-news-photo/452991182

This is the sort of thing that I mean. The Chapman bags are excellent but they do many more colours than khaki. The one I currently have is a nice faded olive.

It is not that I do not like the ex Top Gear presenters but I would be concerned that others may think I was watching Top Gear for style advice.

I would not worry too much. All the upper class brits had bags like that when I lived in Kenya in the early to mid 90s. And they've probably had them forever. Hammond is just copying them, it would not be you copying Hammond. And the real upper class could not care less, the ones who believe that furniture is inherited, not bought...

I have two of them (one olive, one khaki), great bags, well made, very practical, and last a long time.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/jeremy-clarkson-and-richard-hammond-are-seen-on-january-10-news-photo/452991182

This is the sort of thing that I mean. The Chapman bags are excellent but they do many more colours than khaki. The one I currently have is a nice faded olive.

It is not that I do not like the ex Top Gear presenters but I would be concerned that others may think I was watching Top Gear for style advice.

I would hate to be seen trying to be like some British "upper class" types or the execrable Top Gear program.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
don't you guys worry to deform one side of your leather jacket's shoulder carrying this bag? or do you consciously change shoulder where you wear the bag on?

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Some of the bags you guys reccomend are beautiful. I don't own a nice bag, but have long pined for one. This is planting all sorts of ideas in my head....I think it's going to have to come out of my jacket allowance...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
don't you guys worry to deform one side of your leather jacket's shoulder carrying this bag? or do you consciously change shoulder where you wear the bag on?

Part of the charm for me would be how a leather object shapes to us and its use as we wear it - jackets and bags. In the case of a bag, a lack of symmetry is cool.

Edward

Bartender

Nope, never given it a second thought. One of the reasons I like a decent leather jacket is it can take a bit of a beating and I don' have to think about it... I can't imagine taking any pleasure in wearing a jacket at all if I felt the need to worry about it / baby it to that degree. [huh]

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
yeah what I meant was not about the integrity of the jacket, but just creases developed from wearing a shoulder strap of the bag on one shoulder and the other shoulder would look further asymmetrical somewhat, I imagine if you wear a bag across your jacket, and then you're riding long distance or it is a daily thing, it would end up with diagonal mark across your jacket either tanline or cuff mark or just being flattened by the weight of the bag, personally it would annoy me, so I would probably wear a backpack instead at least it will form more even creases on both shoulders.

I wouldn't mind for occasional or short time, I carry mine too.. but when it becomes a daily routine I would pick a backpack.

Last edited:

thor

One Too Many
Someone posted a photo of their jacket with a substantial wear mark from their seatbelt shoulder strap. The color/finish had worn off in that one area (upper left shoulder if it's the States since we have left hand drive). I suppose the same could happen over time with the shoulder strap of a bag if worn over the same shoulder.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I would hate to be seen trying to be like some British "upper class" types or the execrable Top Gear program.

These are pretty much just hunting bags which were also then used on a Safari (more hunting and traveling). It just happened to be that hunting or Safaris were the privilege of idle classes back in the day. Not the case any longer, but as with anything here, the traditions remain and are copied.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
These are pretty much just hunting bags which were also then used on a Safari (more hunting and traveling). It just happened to be that hunting or Safaris were the privilege of idle classes back in the day. Not the case any longer, but as with anything here, the traditions remain and are copied.

I know all that. ;) What I was rejecting was the implication that unlike Top Gear presenters the so called upper classes were OK role models.

Anyway... I just bought another leather satchel by a local maker. Hope it's more useful than the Saddleback, it cost me almost as much as a jacket.

Edward

Bartender
I know all that. ;) What I was rejecting was the implication that unlike Top Gear presenters the so called upper classes were OK role models.

Bravo, quite so. I think the hunting debate (one best left alone) is always murkied too when it goes transatlantic. Hunting in the US is a whole different ballgame from hunting in the UK, where 'riding out with the hunt' is almost more of a political than a recreational activity.

As to jackets.... I honestly wouldn't care if one shoulder developed a patina patch that was different from the other. Trying to make it wear symmetrically would just look artificial. I do tend to wear a small shoulderbag's strap underneath my jacket, Indy style, if I'm going to be carrying it all day, but not out of any notion of preventing wear on the jacket.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Bravo, quite so. I think the hunting debate (one best left alone) is always murkied too when it goes transatlantic. Hunting in the US is a whole different ballgame from hunting in the UK, where 'riding out with the hunt' is almost more of a political than a recreational activity.

As to jackets.... I honestly wouldn't care if one shoulder developed a patina patch that was different from the other. Trying to make it wear symmetrically would just look artificial. I do tend to wear a small shoulderbag's strap underneath my jacket, Indy style, if I'm going to be carrying it all day, but not out of any notion of preventing wear on the jacket.

I think the hunting debate is interesting, though. And I in fact like the political overtones. A bit like cricket or football. Prawn sandwich or pie.

Anyway, nice bags and clothes on the hunting/cricket side. Emotion and togetherness on the other. I'm firmly on the fence.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up

adventure type jacket probably less affected or even considered a plus, but a moto or any other sleek clean type would probably look a bit sad with weird tanline or weird wear pattern across the body, just my opinion though.

theeggcarton

One of the Regulars
I've definitely seen "shoulder wear" from my bags on my Aero's.....my Maxwell (brown fqhh) has the most. Seen some wear on my Board Racer (black fqhh). Least amount of wear...very minimal....on my Work Coat (dark seal vicenza hide).....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko