Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Stewart's Hat (And Others) in VERTIGO

Jeffries

New in Town
Vertigo

I saw a reference in the old posts about the brown fedora that James Stewart wore in ther movie "Vertigo" but no mention of what the brand or style was. Anyone have any ideas?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I remember posting about this once. At the time, I thought it might be a Knox, but it could also be a Cavanagh. I'd be willing to bet its one of the two.

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Watching The Glenn Miller Story this morning, I verified that Stewart's brown hat was a Cavanagh. He also wore a brown Cavanagh in Bell, Book, and Candle, made the same year as Vertigo, and just four years after The Glenn Miller Story. This confirms to me that Stewart was a Cavanagh man, at least in the 1950s. Chances are excellent that the Vertigo hat is a Cavanagh. I need to watch that movie again sometime to see if I can verify it.

Brad

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Wow, we are just finishing The Glenn Miller Story right now. 'Moonlight Serenade' and 'Little Brown Jug' at movies end. Nice to know that Jimmy was a Cavanagh man.

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
I'm a huge fan of Vertigo so I'd like to revive this thread. With the Bluray version of the movie, somewhat better quality screenshots can be taken of this hat to identify it. I took one of the actual logo inside of the hat, if anyone can help identify it.

First up is the frame where you see the logo of the hat
1.png

Then here I cropped it and flipped it 180.
2.png

Finally here it is again zoomed in and with a bit more contrast to help make out the shapes.
3.png

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
What a great piece of detective work! I think the value of vintage Churchill hats on eBay just went up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana