Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Stewart's Hat (And Others) in VERTIGO

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
A follow up!

Steve,
I mailed the 75 gram brown hat to Daniel Riser in Dec. He was going to let Matt Deckard see it and mail it to Art Fawcett. I have called Daniel Riser at least 5 times spoke to him twice and the last time 2 weeks ago he said he would get it to Art after Deckard saw it. Well Art doesn't have it so I have no idea where the hat is now!! I have left several messages for Riser!! :rage:

Michaelson

One Too Many
Not saying anything pro or con regarding Dan, but I DO know he's been working on the final edit of the Templar Indy movie... long hours. Not an excuse, but he's been pretty tied up over the past couple of weeks.

There's a sample hat floating around?! Steve told me he'd let me see an example as soon as he got hold of one, and now you're telling me one completely bypassed me and is now somewhere out on the West Coast?

I'm speechless.

Regards! Michaelson

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Wild Root said:
More photos upon request;).

=WR=

Wild Root, consider this a request. PLEASE post more photos of this wonderful hat. This is EXACTLY the shape that I'm looking for.

If you take many photos (including the inside of the crown), I will find a way to thank you personally. Hint: it may involve a necktie.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ok, here you go Marc.

Marc Chevalier said:
Wild Root, consider this a request. PLEASE post more photos of this wonderful hat. This is EXACTLY the shape that I'm looking for.

If you take many photos (including the inside of the crown), I will find a way to thank you personally. Hint: it may involve a necktie.

This is another shot from the "Day at the Races" This shows a good side shot of the crown. At this point, I had no crown bashes in the front. It's soft! I can bash it any time I want and un-bashes even nicer! Also, Addi's hat is rather smart as well!

More to come.

=WR=

SanDiegoLaurenspics006-vi.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fedora said:
I have a 75 gram portugal body that is with Mr. Riser out there in Ca. If anyone is interested in what this fine felt looks like, and feels like, look him up. :) The only vintage body that I have seen that comes close in looks and fineness of felt are the vintage beaver dress hats. It knocks most vintage felts out of the water. IMHO. Fedora

I've talked to Matt Deckard and he hasn't seen or heard from Dan. He's kind miffed that it didn't get sent to a Bartender. Dan's a friend of mine but, I think he's to busy and focused on other things to be handling "Lounge" business. I haven't seen him on here this month or the last.

=WR=

Fedora

Vendor
I am sure Dan I busy as a bee and has not had time for the hat. I was gonna send it to Deckard, but Dan said he wanted to see it too, so I had it mailed to him. Hopefully he will surface soon. Oh, I said "the hat". Actually, it is more of a body with a discarded sweat stitched in just to help it hold its shape. The finish on the body is factory, as I did not pounce it at all. I wanted folks to see one before I did the final hand pouncing. When you guys get to see it, just remember this is not a finished hat at all, but what I start with. It will amaze you if you are familiar with different sorts of felt. That body has no stiffener at all, so it is soft, even for dense beaver felt. I was wanting some advice on whether I needed the factory to add stiffener, a .2, or .4 degree just to give it some body. Hopefully this will transpire soon because I am waiting on some well schooled advice before I place an order. I want to replicate the vintage look and feel in this pure beaver felt. And it may be that this felt is too fine to nail the blended felt look that many are use to, and fond of. That is what I need to know. Thanks. Fedora

Fedora

Vendor
There's a sample hat floating around?! Steve told me he'd let me see an example as soon as he got hold of one, and now you're telling me one completely bypassed me and is now somewhere out on the West Coast?

My friend, this was the small "b crown" body that I was telling you about.:) It has around a 4 inch crown, and will make a size 6 3/4 to 6 7/8 hat. Practically useless for us Indy fans, and tall crowned vintage hat fans. Now, if that that baby would have been a c crown, that is around 6 inches tall, look out!!! I wanted some advice from the vintage guys on the quality, and softness of the felt, so I had to send it where most of those folks are. :) Once Art gets to look at it, and he sends it back, it will be on its way to you, and anyone else who wants to see what Portugal is making these days, in the higher end felt. I was impressed with that raw body, but need a vintage eye to appraise it. Regards, Fedora

Wild Root

Gone Home
I hope to see it soon. I'd love to see the felt "in the raw".

If you ever figure out how to "Cavanaugh edge" let me know. I like raw edge but, the Cavanaugh Edge is one of my favorites, same with bounded edges. Have you tried that yet Fedora?

Cheers,
=WR=

Wild Root said:
I hope to see it soon. I'd love to see the felt "in the raw".

If you ever figure out how to "Cavanaugh edge" let me know. I like raw edge but, the Cavanaugh Edge is one of my favorites, same with bounded edges. Have you tried that yet Fedora?

Cheers,
=WR=

Here's how the Cavanagh Edge is made Root:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4993
How many can you make for us? ;)
It is very labor intensive and you have to do it just right or you end up with a stingy brim. The body manufacturer is who you have to convince to do it---good luck though. Raise your hand if you want to remove stitches and help the factory. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Michaelson

One Too Many
Fedora said:
My friend, this was the small "b crown" body that I was telling you about.:) It has around a 4 inch crown, and will make a size 6 3/4 to 6 7/8 hat. Practically useless for us Indy fans, and tall crowned vintage hat fans. Now, if that that baby would have been a c crown, that is around 6 inches tall, look out!!! I wanted some advice from the vintage guys on the quality, and softness of the felt, so I had to send it where most of those folks are. :) Once Art gets to look at it, and he sends it back, it will be on its way to you, and anyone else who wants to see what Portugal is making these days, in the higher end felt. I was impressed with that raw body, but need a vintage eye to appraise it. Regards, Fedora

I do vaguely remember that now. Sorry.:( Hey, I've slept since we talked about that one.[huh] ;) Regards! Michaelson

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've often thought that if you took a router to a hat brim, set the depth for about a 1/16" or so, and routed out all but the outside 1/4" or so, and then rounded off the edge of the brim...

I call it the "Routed Edge," patent pending.;)

Brad

Brad Bowers said:
I've often thought that if you took a router to a hat brim, set the depth for about a 1/16" or so, and routed out all but the outside 1/4" or so, and then rounded off the edge of the brim...

I call it the "Routed Edge," patent pending.;)

Brad

Uh, yeah sure that would work. :rolleyes:
I think you need to save your money on that patent process. :p

Regards to all,

J

Fedora

Vendor
the Cavanaugh Edge is one of my favorites,

That sort of edge is my absolute favorite!! I love them. I do not like the over, or under welts, but the Cavanagh, well that is artistry. If I had my druthers, I would druther all of my hats were of that sort. It is so classy looking to me. I just hope I am around if it is ever brought back. From what I understand, that edge is created in the back shop, and not the front. It is done when the hat is still felting!! I think it is a specialized skill, and you have to have a feel to make them right. I have read that, at any rate. Fedora

Wild Root

Gone Home
We have something in common! It's one of my top favorites too. I have over and under welted edges and they are good hats that I love because they offer variety to my collection. But, I must say that the Cavanaugh edge is my top favorite. I also love a really good bounded edge. That can look really classy too.;)

=WR=

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
SHARPETOYS said:

Yup. Stewart's hat has a bound edge. Whatever he wore in Vertigo, the liner was black. It's clearly seen at one point.

Sharpey - the hat that is out west cooling its sweatband in Riser's apartment - is that the one we posted pics of here? Is it the one Fedora showed us pics of it denting with a dropped quarter?

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Quote,

Sharpey - the hat that is out west cooling its sweatband in Riser's apartment - is that the one we posted pics of here? Is it the one Fedora showed us pics of it denting with a dropped quarter?

Yes sir it is. This felt is as soft as a cloud and Art will love it when he gets to see it!

Fedora said:
That sort of edge is my absolute favorite!! I love them. I do not like the over, or under welts, but the Cavanagh, well that is artistry. If I had my druthers, I would druther all of my hats were of that sort. It is so classy looking to me. I just hope I am around if it is ever brought back. From what I understand, that edge is created in the back shop, and not the front. It is done when the hat is still felting!! I think it is a specialized skill, and you have to have a feel to make them right. I have read that, at any rate. Fedora

You have it completely right. It is an art because you have to get the sizing right before the end of the felting process and you know how much the bodies shrink along the felting process. Those old body makers really knew their stuff. I wish we had that kind of knowledge now. Hats that don't taper with Cavanagh Edges would be the norm. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

Fedora

Vendor
also love a really good bounded edge. That can look really classy too

You know, I used to hate bound brims. But, in the last few months, I have reblocked several, and I have become rather fond of them. I think my dislike was a Freudian thing, dating from my childhood. I got a cowboy outfit when I was 7 years old. The cowboy hat came with a bound brim. Well, I wanted a football suit, complete with helmet, and that disapointment affected me later on-I think. :D Everytime I looked at that Roy Rogers looking hat, I would get ill. Funny how things like that can influence feelings down the road. I feel rather guilty now, removing that nice vintage ribbon from all of those vintage brims I bought a few years ago on ebay. Back when you could get them at a reasonable price. But, I will not commit that travesty any longer. :) Now the welted edges, are not for me. They just look like someone tried to copy a Cavanagh edge, and sewed the darn thing. But, to each his own. Fedora

Wild Root

Gone Home
Fedora said:
I feel rather guilty now, removing that nice vintage ribbon from all of those vintage brims I bought a few years ago on ebay. Back when you could get them at a reasonable price. But, I will not commit that travesty any longer. :)

Fedora, I'm so happy to hear that! Good stuff!

Now, do you know how to put a bound edge on a hat? Or, does it take a piece of equipment that is hard to get?

I know over welts and under welts aren't very attractive to some but, they're different and some are rare! Under welts are very rare for what I find. I have one that has three stitches and looks kind of neat I think but, as you say, to each his own.;)

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot