Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Japanese soldier who held out in Guam

Warden

One Too Many
I listened to this wireless programme on the BBC World Service last night. Really interesting. I did like his comment when he returned to Japan and saw how things had changed. According to the programme he said "what would happen if the oil stops?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16681636

_58058853_shoichi_yokoi624.jpg

DustyUSAF

New in Town
Just got back from a deployment to Guam where I heard about this for the first time. There is a little restaurant there called Jeff's Pirate's Cove. On the menu it gives all the details of this story. He hid out just a few hundred yards in the jungle where Jeff's currently sits. Very interesting.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I was stationed there about 6 years ago and they have a replica of where he hid out. It was a small little man made cave. I loved Jeff's Pirates Cove. Wish I could go back to Guam. I have heard that the replica is no longer there.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I was vaguely aware of so-called Japanese holdouts. But since reading more about Hiroo Onoda, I can't help but wonder, am I the only one that finds the "golly isn't that quaint" tone of the press coverage distasteful?

Afterall, the group he commanded was responsible for the killing of about 30 Filipinos, most of them civilians and most of them after 1945...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider