Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jeans

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Virtually of the early cinchback models had long prongs on the buckles, eventually with the 506XX jacket (obviously the last of Levi's cinchbacked products) they switched to a buckle with little bitty teeth. None of the LVC US repos I've seen yet have come with a prong buckle, tho many Japanese cinchback vintage repro tyrpe jeans/trousers do as well as most of the RRL cinchbacked pants/jackets. I've always assumed Levi's was just sacrificing authenticity for the sake of avoiding a lawsuit if some dumbass happened to skewer his hiney.

Salv

One Too Many
Surgery!

Of course, that's exactly what's wrong with the repro 1933's: the single looping prong (a perfect description Doug). I never thought to perform surgery on the buckle, but shall go and do that now on the new pair. Prongs make perfect sense, as does Doug's and Mud's assumption that Levi's were avoiding legal problems on the repros by not supplying them with short spikes in the wearers lower back...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
EVISU

A few years ago, I was pursueing some EVISU jeans as they were supposed to be very high end quality copies of early beltback Levis.
Now, theyre hiphop jeans.

anyway, I got this pair of ebay, but when they arrived, there was no selvage.
390427072_88441efe07.jpg

390427073_57ea367a0a.jpg

Turned out they were incredibly detailed counterfeits.
Except they arent selvage denim, so they did not shrink inthe wash.
So that was a bummer. Fortunately I didnt pay a lot.
The Evisu website warned that a lot of these counterfeits were online & to only buy from evisu shops.
whatever.
I jsut couldnt take the obnoxious back pocket logos in gold lame thread.
SO I picked them out a stitch at a time til I got something wearable.
390427074_d9e93d7123.jpg

390427075_3d051c75f4.jpg

But theyre still a size too big for me.
-b

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Yoo hoo...Martin!...there's an for a vintage S506XX "duration" jacket up on an auction site right now that has a great close-up photo of the two pronged buckle Levi's used to use.

Doug C

Practically Family
Just so it's clear, the 1933 buckle back LVC501 jeans that I just got were made in America and I bought them from Germany and the buckle prong needed to be made into 2 prong(s). I might not of known to do that if I hadn't have been reading all the old threads just before buying, because it's not explained anywhere on the product.

Doug C

nerdator

New in Town
That is a really good idea, the snipping of the prong to get two pointy spikes. I will try that right away with my LVC 1937, the cinch-belt indeed would not stay in place, one time when I pulled it the buckle fell apart, it happened in a movie theater, complete darkness, I tried really hard to find all the pieces back... Thanks again for the advice...

Jovan

Suspended
Original jean styles coming back... is this a good thing?

I've recently noticed there's a few companies making jeans with brace buttons on them. I can't remember if there was one that made them like they were originally made with the fishtail back and high rise, but my friend* was wearing a pair of women's jeans today that were made with them. They were low rise.

Interesting, but, is this a good thing this is coming back if no one's really going to use these features? I almost always wear a belt with my jeans and can't really ever see myself wearing some with braces. Then again, I guess the back adjuster that some are coming with serve a purpose there.

Thoughts?

EDIT: If you're wondering what old style jeans I'm talking about, look here. Courtesy of Mr. Magnoli.

*A she.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21