Jeans

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Blackgrass, Oct 14, 2005.

1. happyfilmluvguy

happyfilmluvguy Call Me a Cab

A friend of mine had seen me wearing braces around my shoulders and so bought a pair himself but let them hang down. I told him they're meant to keep your pants up. :p He was trying to make a fashion statement. No harm in that. I saw a person doing the same thing once in Hollywood. The idea of braces being worn hung down loses their purpose, but the way pants are made, they fit snug around one's waist without the need of braces or sometimes even a belt. I always wonder whether braces had any purpose in the 20s and 30s.

But back on topic, they'd work well in a physical labor setting.

2. Rooster

Rooster Practically Family

3. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I would appreciate the option of jeans with a classic cut and details.
    Whether or not anyone uses braces is not my concern. I would use them.

4. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Haven't worn jeans since my teens...

It's been well over 20 years since I wore denim jeans.

I was at a funeral recently and a number of people in their 20's felt it was okay to turn up in jeans:rolleyes: . Frankly...NO it wasn't okay, but they didn't seem to know better (and I don't think they realised the signals it was giving out).

IMHO...To my eye, they are 'very' casual, verging on sloppy, and more often than not here in the UK will be sported with a tee shirt hanging out and trainers [huh] and wouldn't get into the smarter restaurants and clubs.

Guys, if you REALLY want to be a REBEL...wear a suit and tie these days!!! (ironic isn't it[huh] ) THEN, you'll really stand out from the crowd!!:eusa_clap

5. Alan Eardley

Alan Eardley One Too Many

Teen jeans

I still have the first pair of Wranglers I bought - in 1965.

Alan

6. Salv

Salv One Too Many

But do they still fit?

7. Alan Eardley

Fit

Yes they do.

Alan

8. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

While I was in the Sudan...

Yes Salv, but only on his head these days...coupled with a pair of pencils to insert into his nostrils, he recites...."WIBLE..WIBLE...WIBLE.........PA-PAAAAA!"

ALWAYS worked in the Sudan according to Alan (when he was a young subaltern) and often considered a way 'out of the trenches!!':eusa_clap

9. Salv

Salv One Too Many

Well done, sir!

Incidentally, there's a Jeans thread in this same folder with lots of photos of repro Levi, Lee and Wrangler jeans. Levi's LVC range usually include a couple of models with braces buttons including these 1933 repros
    [​IMG]

And here's a pair of 1933s with a few years of wear in them
    [​IMG]

10. Alan Eardley

Paddy

That was me in 1865 - the Wranglers were 1965. They were a Christmas present from a favourite aunt. I was wearing them at Bob Dylan's concert in Manchester in '66.

Alan

11. THE concert in Manchester in '66?

cool

bk

12. Tango Yankee

Tango Yankee Call Me a Cab

Yup, they kept the pants up! lol

Braces are particularly helpful for those of us who are a bit more, um, rounded then we used to be. My wife once told me that a rotund gentleman she knew, when asked why he wore braces instead of a belt, replied "Ever try to tie a string around an egg?" :D

I don't wear braces when I'm wearing jeans or when I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt such as a polo shirt, but I no longer wear a belt with trousers. due to that egg/string thing.

My father-in-law has discovered clip-on braces and wears them with his jeans--says it's a lot more comfortable than a belt.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Call Me a Cab

Wearing braces with jeans will never come back, because that would mean folks would have to tuck their shirts in.

14. I don't remember if these are jeans or not. I like the look, though the "grand master" hat is a little much. I prefer the novice cap. Collarless shirt with bandana knotted loosely around neck . . . eee, in't' grand?

[​IMG]

bk

15. BellyTank

BellyTank I'll Lock Up

I've been wearing repro (and the odd original)vintage Levi and Lee jeans, 1920s-'40s models, on a daily basis since the '90s. They just look so much better than Mall jeans and they're a real quality product. There are a lot of us here at the FL who wear Levis Vintage re-issues. I used to boast of my vintage denim back-catalogue- but now I'm getting down to about 5 respectable pairs...
    Oh dear me...

Today it was the '44 model Levis famous for the printed, rather than sewn pocket arcuate. Saves a few inches of thread for the War effort, don't you know. I may wear some '20s Levis with braces tomorrow...

Get with it Jovan!

B
    T

16. Haversack

Haversack One Too Many

Levi, Lee, and Wrangler jeans with wide legs and suspender buttons have been a staple for decades in the Pacific Northwest. They call them "loggers jeans". For a pratical reason too. If you are working where wood chips and long splinters are flying around, you don't want to be wearing a belt. Suspenders and a loose cut allows the wood debris to fall through instead of getting caught and perforating one's gut.

Haversack.

17. Viola

Viola Call Me a Cab

I think suspenders, on a man, can be very attractive.

-Viola

18. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

They seem nice and all, but a hundred and twenty bucks for a pair of blue jeans? Yikes!
    I used to buy metal suspender buttons at a local variety store (since defunct, sniff). The buttons attached with a small nail poked through the waistband of the jeans. To install the button, the head of the nail got a good, solid whack from a hammer, which drove it into the hole in the center of the button's post and expanded something within the button's interior, or bent the sharp end of the nail around something in there, which held the works together. They were called "logger buttons" and were quite inexpensive. I had several pairs of Levi's 501s to which I attached those buttons. Many of those pairs still exist, by the way. I gave them to a friend who wears them around the house and when digging around in her garden and such. (I've always liked that look -- a girl squeezed into a boy's blue jeans.) I gave 'em away back when I thought I'd never again fit into them (they must have shrunk, eh?), but I've since lost 50-some pounds and I bet that if I tried them on today I'd need the suspenders to keep 'em from falling to my ankles.
    Yeah, I know ... nobody likes a braggart.

19. They were the single most common bringer of negative comments from young females for 6 years in Lafayette, IN.

(that is if you consider "queer", "queen", "fag" etc. to be negative . . . which i do not - at least not inherently negative)

bk

20. J. Brisbin

J. Brisbin Familiar Face

I wear my clip-on suspenders with my jeans all the time. We live in the country and this month I'm re-roofing our house, so the suspenders, when I'm working, are essential.

I have a pair of jeans that have, ahemm, shrunk on me, and they are terribly uncomfortable to work in. If I wear a belt with the jeans that do fit, that's also uncomfortable. Suspenders are infinitely more comfortable than wearing jeans tight enough to stay up on their own, or using a belt, so that's how I keep my waistline in place. I also have added weight that tries to pull my pants off, with tape measures and tools and stuff in my pockets.

In the '20s and '30s, my grandfather didn't wear jeans, he wore overalls. An interesting combination of suspenders and jeans. I have never seen a photo of him in just plain jeans. The overalls were more functional because of the pockets, etc... but the principle of the straps over the shoulders tells me that no matter how you slice it, a belt just doesn't cut it if you want the most comfortable way to keep your britches on :)